Soul / Sole Support

Stork Central

I NEVER allow men to come to my house. I don't ever want my boys to think that mommy had a constant flow of men in the house. I don't allow the men I date to even meet my boys for quite some time....I am talking months.

Oh Sabrina, I just found this post of yours - I just wanted to hug you for saying/doing that.

I am a child who grew up with a single-mom (my parents divorced when I was 9) and my mom dated but did not have that cardinal rule of yours and I think it would have made a big difference on me (and certainly would have saved me from some of the hurt feelings I experienced along the way) had she been more careful about exposing me to her private life. I can remember seeing her get so excited when she would go out on a date and I would feel so jealous and would wonder why she was so happy about leaving me at home with a babysitter while going out with someone who we didn't even know? I just remember feeling very much as though I wasn't the most important person to her when she would date and I'd feel very left out - lots and lots of feelings of jealousy and like my ground wasn't as stable as I needed it to be.

Anyway, I applaud you for being so careful and protective of your boys - as an adult who was on the other side of things as a child, I think that is a very lovely thing you're doing for them! Probably one of those many things you'll do for them that will go unthanked (because the best part is, they'll probably never even know about it) but I think it will help them feel so much more secure about their lives than if they were dealing with strangers entering and exiting their lives as children.

-Lisa

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lisa,

Thanks for ((((HUG)))!

I hope my boys will see that I always had their best interest at heart. I just always look at it that I am raising young men. Hopefully when they are older they will be able to respect women. Single parenting is hard but, I am loving every minute of it. I think that sometimes I get it in my head that they need a man if their life. But, then I snap back to reality and realize that as long as they have a mom that loves them they are going to be alright. I am blessed to have wonderful men around that are such positive role models for my guys. My neighbors on either side of me adore my boys. They have a wonderful uncle and a godfather that loves them. These men are in their lives by no accident.....They were placed here with gentle hands of the master.

I continue to be amazed everyday by my guys and how they are growing into such wonderful people.....I think that is Gods way of saying you are doing alright!

Sabrina,

You are doing a great job with those sweet boys! Those smiles just capture my heart every time!!!!

Did you cry when your little one scored his first basketball basket? It seems I get so emotional over things like that! I try not to, never want to embarrass Miss Priss, but I am usually choking those tears back!!!

Congrats on being the mommy to two wonderful little boys!! Can't wait to meet them at camp (as well as their Mom!)!!

Mandy,

No I did'nt cry but, I felt like it....I was so proud!

It is so crazy the stuff that I find myself getting emotional over. You know like watching Tyson saying his speaking part in his first Christmas Program. Who knew I was going to be such a softy! They make me laugh everyday! I was watching the boys play in the snow through the kitchen window( to cold for this mama) and Teyler got frustrated with his little sled and threw it down and slid down the hill on his belly! I laughed out loud! Everyday I think to myself..."what did I actually do for fun BEFORE my kids?" I must not have been having much fun! The pastor at the church I have been attending have been calling us the "Three Amigos"....

Very cute Sabrina!

I miss your boys... they truly are spectacular! I know what you mean. Dante can do just about anything and I shed tears. He's growing up before us and turning into a little boy. Your love for your boys is so wonderful to see.

Claudia

• 3 months later...

Think "single parenting" is a new concept? Not hardly!

Check out this a lovely profile of a 93-year-old single mom named Dr. Lora Jones,, who was herself adopted by a single mother, then later chose to return the favor by adopting three daughters of her own. Enjoy!

How cool is that!

• 2 weeks later...

Out of Indianapolis, a lovely profile of a single woman there who became one of the first adoptive parents without a spouse back in the Sixties: A Tribute to the Sweet Mama of Candy & Cooky.

What a great story! It is good to see adoption...single or couples in a positive light.

Thanks for sharing Elizabeth.

• 1 month later...

SINGLE MOM'S LAMENT (AT FORTY-SOMETHING)

My kids are acting crazy,
My house is quite a mess.
And where I left my car keys
Is just anybody's guess.

The laundry's reached the chimney,
While my checkbook's in the pits.
Guess the good news is-- once aging,
You swap cellulite for zits?!

Will these kids grow up by thirty?
Will I find another man?
Will Congress ever find an exit
Or just move troops to Iran?

We've had more rain than Noah!
I miss sun-- I must confess,
I'd be buried by daily doldrums,
But for my colleagues' zaniness.

Though their lives seem fun and vibrant
While mine has that weathered feel,
I can't help but count my blessings
(And then I feel like quite the heel!)

So dear Lord, this is a thank you
for each joy-- and yes, each woe!
For my two so-wild children, and (!!)
an office to which to go!

For my clients, past and present,
For hard lessons life has taught,
For Your patience when I'm whiney...
Thanks! (You've put up with quite a lot.)

So: who cares about those car keys?
Let the creditors just wait.
Hey there, God-- muchas abrazos!
(All in all, isn't life great?!)
;)

Too cute, Elizabeth!! (I wish I could whip out things like that ..... quite a talent!!) And while I'm not single (well, I am a farmer's widow most of the time! :o ), I can relate!!

Is just anybody's guess.

Will I find another man?

;)

Very nice poem Elizabeth. God has blessed you much talent with your creativity and writing.

Wishing you a Sun-Shiny Day with calm kids, stress-free calls, lots of laughs, and may your car keys magically appear in your purse when you are ready to go :)

-A

Elizabeth I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Coming from a single mom (at thirty- something)

I HEAR YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God IS Good and he must have a sense of humor while watching me and my two boys daily. :D

Is just anybody's guess.

Will I find another man?

;)

Have you been peeking in my window lately? From one 40 something mom to another, God Bless you and your boys.

Thanks, y'all! (And Gabriela, who PMd a sweet message of encouragement, as well.) I know that there are many who struggle with the stay-home parent vs. working mom issue, but having been blest by my coworkers with the opportunity to spend much of the summer home with my kids during my custody periods, it makes me infinitely thankful for my career!!! (in addition to my kids, ha.) ;)

• 4 months later...

An inspiring tale of an American bachelor who overcame his fears and apprehensions and cultural differences and immigration regulations, in time of war, to adopt a disabled Iraqi orphan, providing him the stable home and medical treatment he so desperately longed for: My American-Forever-Family

Wow, simply wow....a heartwarming story of courage, faith & love.

Thanks for finding & sharing :)

xoxo, Amy

• 4 weeks later...

The highest court of India has ruled against an adoption of a boy whose would-be adoptive mom was left by her husband 22 years before that placement but never formally divorced under Hindu law: Court Denies Adoption Done Without Husband's Consent.

A second news story clarifies that the son the woman unofficially adopted was seeking ownership of her property after her death; the courts acknowledged that he had cared for her as a son and allowed him to remain on the property for 6 months, but still ultimately denied him that land. Granted, there are significant cultural differences at play here, but what a sad refusal to acknowledge these people as family, when both had already lost so much.

• 2 months later...

Hey Renee-- Let her know who to look for....or if I can be of any help let me know

Here's a remarkable tale of a single mom with a large brood who's faced the kind of challenges that even most adoptive couples typically avoid: The Windshield Effect.

Just goes to show you what love can accomplish!! Sending big hugs out to all of Abrazo's single parents, moms and dads alike!

• 4 months later...

Here's a great story of single moms in the Twin Cities: Incidentally Single, Intentionally Mothers.