When Agencies Turn People Down

Stork Central

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have fielded so many comments like, "How much did your children cost?" Part of me wants to respond, "not bad, I had a coupon." But I resist...my head says, "Now is your time to educate." And then I go on to say things like, "Nothing. The legal and agency fees are typically where the cost is." (This is only if they are truly interested in adoption...)

The reason why we chose Abrazo??? Children are Abrazo's first priority and they will not make a placement they do not feel comfortable with!!

Thanks Abrazo!

Edited by Paul and Michelle

• 2 months later...

In the interest of full-disclosure:

Abrazo's Milagros (full-service) program presently can accomodate very few applications from families with children, particularly those who are seeking to adopt Anglo-only newborns, or who have adopted previously via closed, international adoptions.

The majority of birthparents with whom Abrazo works are seeking to place primarily with childless couples OR with Abrazo's againers, experienced parents who have ongoing and direct relationships with the birthparents of the child/ren they previously adopted here.

Much as we wish we could help everyone who is seeking to adopt, at the current time, we are having to be very discerning in considering what kinds of placement resources (homes) we can accept, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause those who fall outside these specific parameters.

• 2 years later...

Do Abrazo or Texas homestudy requirements preclude persons with impaired vision or impaired hearing from adopting? What about other "special needs" if the person is otherwise emotionally, physically, and financially healthy and stable?

Do Abrazo or Texas homestudy requirements preclude persons with impaired vision or impaired hearing from adopting? What about other "special needs" if the person is otherwise emotionally, physically, and financially healthy and stable?

No, Susan, there is nothing in Abrazo nor Texas' homestudy requirements that precludes persons with disabilities from adopting if they are prepared to be good parents and meet all the other criteria. I have worked with an adopting couple in which one partner was blind, and that partner had a far more acute sense of hearing than I do! It was amazing... I could be on the phone long-distance with this individual yet if another staff member walked in my office during the call, this person could tell right away, even who it was! We have also worked in the past with several adopting parents who were paraplegic, who had M.S., and/or who were deaf (as well as other challenges). It can be more difficult for those with disabilities to get matched, since many prospective birthparents look for adopting families whose health is not an issue (just as adopting families primarily seek healthy children)... but nothing's impossible!