A Birth Grandmother's Role

I think, I need to get this book....love all the quotes so far!

Dyna,

I think you would enjoy this book.. So many good lines in there that get you thinking and analyzing about one’s life. How, what, to whom, we contribute, but mainly our own inner self. Definitely recommend to those seeking a deeper spiritual look into our own making and changing ourselves not anyone else. If you get I'd love to know what you think.

Have a blessed day

Just ordered it. Let you know what I think.

I can't put it down. It came at a good time in my life. There has been a big change lately. I'll share later.

I need to read this book.

I think I will see if they have it at the library.

Edited by TexasFamily

Dyna,

Have you ever watched Super Soul Sunday with Oprah Winfrey? I usually DVR them and watch them later (fast-forwarding through commercials).. Today I was catching up on several of them and one of them was with Rev. Ed Bacon.. Several of the things he talked about I have read in the book we are reading. I like all the episodes, gets me thinking and examining, this one was a really good episode that I could connect what he said to a book written by someone completely different.. I believe God works in mysterious ways and I know he is always at work!! He probably has his work cut out with me because I am a work in progress.. As long as he doesn’t give up, I know I will be ok.. :blink: Pray all is going well with you, hang in there...

Leah,

They may have it in the library in your area.. The copy I am reading is an ebook I checked out of one of our local libraries for my Kindle. I usually do this with books, either audio books and ebooks and if it's one I really like and can go back to it as a reference I will purchase..

I just bought another one of Marianne's books called "The Age of Miracles" Embracing the New MidLife- Found the ebook on Amazon for less then $5...Excited to get into that one too.

Happy Reading

D,

BTW on Super Soul Sunday is where I first learned of Marianne Williamson and heard her talk..

Well, I re-started the book bc I wanted to highlight as I go. I feel I'll miss something. It's a good read. I'll share more as I go. Thanks!

Mari,

Thanks. I usually purchase books but I have decided to try to start utilizing the library. There is a nice one not too far from us.

I have watched Super Soul Sunday a few times when the topic is of interest. It has been good.

L x

Leah,

Not sure if you like ebooks or audio books..There is software/app that you can download to your computer or phone and download books from library that come in those formats.. I have it on my kindle, my computer, and my phone.. Like audio books for my phone.. Anything available to check out from a library you can get on your devices if format is available.. I check out movies on my computer and kindle from library as well.

hope you enjoy the book..

Mari,

When I used to travel 10 days out of the month for work, I would listen to books on CD all of the time. I loved it!

For the last 2 years I have been in a office environment so I do not get to listed to that many any more.

I was given a Kindle for my birthday last April. I have yet to download any books as I am still trying to work my way through some books I have had since Christmas.

Thanks for all of the tips!

Leah x

Ditto to the travel.. I used to travel also two to three weeks out of the month, also carried my portable CD player with my music.... I usually listen to my audio in the car instead of radio on my way to work after dropping off my daughter at school or after work on way to pick her up.. And when I wake up during the night and can’t sleep happens too oftern (and that’s that I don’t have a baby in the house) so I don’t bother anyone else I put in my ear piece and listen to my current book on there.

Love my kindle, got mine for Christmas, at first didn’t think I would like it because I love to read and really enjoy the feel of a book in my hands.. But it hasn’t been bad, transition was great..I also like that I can store my books on my cloud instead of device and just download when I want to read, then remove from device when I’m done and no clutter. I still read paper books, though I have accumulated a ton over the years, have given away many, but my stack (boxes) are still too many. My sis and I were just talking Sat about finding a place to donate too, and then catching up on Sunday’s paper yesterday I read (in Dear Abby) a gentleman from my very own SA who collects books and donates to the USO, apparently there are two locations here and their shelves are always in need of books for service members. So I plan on cleaning out my boxes this coming weekend, finding one of these USO’s and taking them books.

If you or anyone ever decides to try the app. It’s FREE just need a library card from your local library to check out items, you can set your preference from library as to days of check outs (I always do 21 days just in case) easy to return them as well.. I have only downloaded ebooks from here and some I purchased from Amazon for kindle., been using this app for almost two years. Software/App is Overdrive.com

Thanks for one info Mari! I have a kindle and an iPad and am going to try it out. I don't get to read as much anymore but when I do I think it would be great to just loan a book from the library. I also am a collector of books that I haven't read but I can't stand the clutter and gave many away, but I am going to check into the organization you listed to see if there is something in my area.

Great Monica…

Let me know how it works for you..

Continue to keep Gary in my prayers, hope he is feeling better though it must be a long wait until next week’s visit.

I must say, I just love all the pictures of the kiddos sporting their awesome threads and lunch boxes ready to start school.. How exciting!!!

“Melissa, it is so great that you have been able to spend this time with Steven's family. It makes all the difference in the world when you know that the people your child is surrounded by not only accept them but also love them unconditionally.”

Monica, I hope you don’t mind that I copied your comment above to Melissa here. I really liked what you wrote. Your words are so true for first families also. Though there is a long list of worries and concerns for a first mom when she is considering placing, this I’m sure is one to the top major concern, for my daughter it was no different. One question she asked all the perspective parents in waiting that she talked to when she was going to place was in regards to their families, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, anyone who would be around her child if they were the ones entrusted to parent. How extended family felt about adoption, would they embrace, accept and love her child as their own biological family. The last thing a first parent(s)/family(ies) would want is for their child to be in a family where they would be neglected, pushed away, not accepted, ignored or worse mistreated because the child is adopted. I know all first families appreciate their child’s entire family surrounding their child with acceptance and unconditional love, no matter how they came to be part of the family and no matter their ethnic origin. Heartfelt thanks to all families for this, I know we are very blessed that my beautiful grandbaby is surround by so much love within her family.

Tomorrow is Grandparents Day, so I want to wish all grandparents (first family & adopted family) a Wonderful and Blessed Day..

Mary - I love what you wrote. I can imagine feeling the same way if I was in the birth parents' shoes. I have written elsewhere on the forum recently that, since placement, I find that we gravitate toward friendships and family relationships that are especially supportive of Oliver and his open adoption. Steven's family has always been so verbally supportive of Oliver's placement and inclusion in our family, but I'd never seen them in person with him. His sister cried twice today, just holding tight to him, saying how thankful she was for him and repeating how blessed we all are to have him. The way Steven's family has embraced Oliver, and has been SO supportive of us persuing open adoption, has made me love them so much more. It makes me want to make the extra effort to go up to NY more often. I was texting with Ollie's birthmom today and saying that I hope no kid can be spoiled by love because it honestly feels like it's overflowing here. I could sense the peace she had in her return texts after hearing how unbelievably loved her son is by everybody in his life!

Happy Grandparents' Day, Mari!!!

M

“Melissa, it is so great that you have been able to spend this time with Steven's family. It makes all the difference in the world when you know that the people your child is surrounded by not only accept them but also love them unconditionally.”

Monica, I hope you don’t mind that I copied your comment above to Melissa here. I really liked what you wrote. Your words are so true for first families also. Though there is a long list of worries and concerns for a first mom when she is considering placing, this I’m sure is one to the top major concern, for my daughter it was no different. One question she asked all the perspective parents in waiting that she talked to when she was going to place was in regards to their families, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, anyone who would be around her child if they were the ones entrusted to parent. How extended family felt about adoption, would they embrace, accept and love her child as their own biological family. The last thing a first parent(s)/family(ies) would want is for their child to be in a family where they would be neglected, pushed away, not accepted, ignored or worse mistreated because the child is adopted. I know all first families appreciate their child’s entire family surrounding their child with acceptance and unconditional love, no matter how they came to be part of the family and no matter their ethnic origin. Heartfelt thanks to all families for this, I know we are very blessed that my beautiful grandbaby is surround by so much love within her family.

Tomorrow is Grandparents Day, so I want to wish all grandparents (first family & adopted family) a Wonderful and Blessed Day..

Mari I am sure that this would play a huge part in the decision when making a placement decision for your child. I know when we first started talking about adoption it was one of our concerns as well. We knew that in order for us to pursue adoption period that our family had to be on board and be accepting of our child and that they had to be able to love him/her just as if they were biologically related to them. I had some concerns but when we spoke to all of them they assured us it would make no difference but still you have to only hope at that point that it will be true. Well I can say for sure now that Garrett is loved by everyone! He is our child and their grandson and is treated no differently than the other grandchildren. My mom still cries when she talks about him and always tells him that he has her heart, and believe me he does!

Happy Grandparents Day to you too!

I took Garrett shopping to pick out a couple of things for his Grammie yesterday and told him not to tell her it was going to be a surprise on Sunday. Well as soon as we saw her yesterday he says "We have presents and a suprizzee" he couldn't wait :wub:

Mary - I love what you wrote. I can imagine feeling the same way if I was in the birth parents' shoes. I have written elsewhere on the forum recently that, since placement, I find that we gravitate toward friendships and family relationships that are especially supportive of Oliver and his open adoption. Steven's family has always been so verbally supportive of Oliver's placement and inclusion in our family, but I'd never seen them in person with him. His sister cried twice today, just holding tight to him, saying how thankful she was for him and repeating how blessed we all are to have him. The way Steven's family has embraced Oliver, and has been SO supportive of us persuing open adoption, has made me love them so much more. It makes me want to make the extra effort to go up to NY more often. I was texting with Ollie's birthmom today and saying that I hope no kid can be spoiled by love because it honestly feels like it's overflowing here. I could sense the peace she had in her return texts after hearing how unbelievably loved her son is by everybody in his life!

Have to say this brought happy tears to my eyes.. as it does each time I read from other parents something about their extended families "spoiling" their child with love. It really makes my heart beat a little faster and a lump grow in my throat, because it is such a blessing. I have seen my grandbaby's aunt with her, playing with her, loving her and my angel girl loving her right back so I can imagine Steven's sister with Ollie. The respect and love we have for her family for loving her the way they do is immeasureable. I know how my daughter feels each time she sees their interactions so I'm sure Oillie's first-mom's heart feels the same. Thank you for letting her know! Hope you guys are taking tons of pics..Wishing you safe travels home..

" took Garrett shopping to pick out a couple of things for his Grammie yesterday and told him not to tell her it was going to be a surprise on Sunday. Well as soon as we saw her yesterday he says "We have presents and a suprizzee" he couldn't wait :wub:"

Monica,

Don't you just love those moments!!.. my god-children have done the same but with my daughter..

On different occasions my sister-in-law has bought a “surprise” for my daughter (whose her god-daughter) and has told the kids not to say anything, as soon as they see her they’ll say.. “We have something for you (in a teasing manner), but we can’t tell you, it’s a surprise.!. Do you want to guess what it is?” Then they turn to their mom and say “right mom, you bought Randa a surprise”.. LOL, we got to love all those priceless kid moments..

I know my angel girl has ALL her grandparent's heart!! I can identify with your mom..