Baby Announcements 2003

Stork Central

Launch the fireworks, dig out the noisemakers and fling the confetti--our first baby of 2003 is safe and sound in the arms of her startled new parents tonight (and they're still pinching themselves to be sure she's for real!!) This precious New Year's Eve arrival went to the last of The Mamas & The Papas II, and met her new parents just weeks before the first anniversary of their 1/02 orientation weekend.

It was a year that took this faithful young couple through unforeseen challenges and some of life's greatest tests, but they were people of strength and grace and goodness, and she's a lucky little girl to have them as her very own Mama & Papa! Our heartfelt congratulations to this special new family of three, and a special word of thanks to the very dear birthcouple who made this miracle possible for all three of them.

The best things in life, as they say, truly are worth waiting for. If you're still waiting, that means the best thing in life is still headed your way. Just watch what happens! and make the most of every step along the path. Because here's to great happenings in 2003!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to the proud new parents of the New Year's Eve blessing!  What a fantastic way to start off 2003!  

Sounds like you've had a challenging year to achieve your dreams and I'm sure it was worth the wait.  As a parents-in-waiting couple who has faced some challenges and disappointments of our own in the past 7 months we'd love to hear your story.  Give us and some other parents-in-waiting some encouragement for 2003.

Congratulations again!  And best wishes for a sleepless, but happy year....years to come!

Keeping the faith,

Dana

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!  The first Abrazo Baby for 2003!!!

Heartfelt congratulations for this couple, how wonderful and fulfilled you must be feeling right now.  Welcome to the wonderful world of being parents - it's even better than I could ever imagine - I'm sure you're finding that out right now!!

I'm with Dana - I'd love to hear your story (I've always wanted to know the background on these Baby Announcements and it's so much fun to read the stories, etc).

Stork Central even created a brand new Section under "Adoptive Parents" called "Joyous Journeys" for just the kind of thing.

Dana - if you're looking for encouragement, you ought to check out  the topic I created under "Potpourri", called "The Day of the Call, Sharing Your Story".  I created this before Kayleigh when I needed some encouragement and inspiration during our wait which can seem endless!!!  Be sure you get your tissues out though - the stories that people have posted are all so unique and touching and are certain to bring tears to your eyes".  

Calling all other APs - please share your story too, where were you on the day of "The Call" and how did it all happen, etc.  We'd love to know!!!

Best Wishes to the new "Mamas & Papas".  Enjoy this bliss!!!

Lisa :D

Lisa-

Thanks for mentioning the topic "The Day We Got the Call".  I've been reading the forum for months and don't know how I missed that whole topic area before. It was very uplifting and inspired me to share our first adoption story.  

You've been a great source of information, encouragement, and inspiration for all of us in "Forum Land".  Thank you for sharing your stories and for the great topics you've provided for others.

Dana

"To everything (turn, turn, turn) there is a season (turn, turn, turn) and a time for every purpose under heaven...."

The season may still be winter, and the holidays may have just ended... but just weeks after completing our 12/02 orientation, the first of our Holiday Hopefuls have come back to Texas to bestow abrazos y besitos (hugs & kisses) upon a precious new daughter, born unexpectedly this past weekend. Abrazo againers, these faithful alum had been preparing themselves for a much longer wait...but God had other plans in store, and tonight, they are a family of four! We send loving congratulations out to them, and best wishes to those who've shared in both their first and second orientation and placement experiences.

Hi everyone. This is the proud, happy, blessed, and overjoyed mamma of Julia Grace, the first baby placed in 2003. Thank you all for you kind words.  I was asked to share my story so I will.

It started 1 year ago at the January 2002 orientation in San Antonio.  We were so excited and knew that 2002 was going to be our year.  At orientation we were known as the vacationing couple because we love to travel.  A few weeks after orientation we had traveled to Aruba where we got our first phone call from a birthmom who wanted to match. So we did.  We were in correspondence with her until she delivered at the end of April, when she decided to parent.  That was difficult, but the very next day I had spoken with another birthmom and the day after that I was matched again with a birthmom who was going to have her baby 3 days.  We traveled to San Antonio to meet the newborn baby girl and spent 4 days there and the birthmom decided to parent.  It was very difficult flying home with empy arms and having 2 disappointments so close together.  At that time we were also in a position where we could adopt from our home state, Michigan.  We got word of a little boy that the birthmom had wanted to place.  It was a very high risk situation, but I took my chances and brought the baby boy home.  Being a newborn nursery nurse I felt like I could do as good a job caring for him as a foster home and I really wanted to have a baby in my home.  The birthmom had put our chosen name and last name on his original birth certificate and everything, so we had a false security.  We had the baby at home for 1 week and the birthfather decided he wanted custody and so the birthmom decided to parent.  That was very difficult.  That was when I really had to rely on my faith and my faith was starting to wear thin.  We had a very difficult summer.  At the end of summer we decided to visit some friends in Memphis who have  2 adorable Abrazo babes themselves and we felt like we were ready to dive in the process again. Our energy and will power was rejuvinated. A few more months of waiting had passed, but through all the past experiences I had learned how to be patient. I also learned and truly understood what everyone meant by "if it's meant to be it will happen."  I had to believe that with every fiber of my being just to get through and continue to have peace in my life.

Well this was meant to be!  After a very busy holiday season we had decided to vacation to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with my whole family.  We were going to be there to bring in the new year.  Last year my sister had bought me an ornament that said "Here's to you in 2002"  Since 2002, I thought, had been the worst year of my life and I had endured so much pain during the year, I first wanted to smash the ornament, then I thought that would be too violent.  So Brad and I decided to bring it with us on vacation and on New Years Eve set it to sea and let our pain of the past year drift away and have renewed hope for the new year.  We know 2003 was going to be a great year.  When we were packing I could not fit the ornament in my suitcase. So it stayed back home.  On New Years Eve we had a wonderful day sightseeing and laying by the pool. Little did we know that our baby girl was being brought into the world by her wonderful birthparents.  That night I was so emotional, but I had such a wonderful evening under the stars with my family.  In Mexico there a tradition called "the 12 grapes of happiness" where you have a small bundle of grapes to make wishes upon.  Well at the stroke of Midnight my whole family (21 of us all together) were shoving grapes in our mouths all wishing for 1 thing as fireworks were being shot off all around all around the bay. Our wish came true.  So the vacationing couple was on vacation when their daughter was born.  We enjoyed the rest of our vacation and returned home on Sunday the 5th.  We had many messages on our machine.  The phones were down in Mexico from the hurricane in Oct.

(TIP: If you are traveling, call where you are staying before you leave to be sure you can reach that location from the U.S., I wish I would have.)  Anyway.  It was a blurry Monday where we had to udpate our homestudy- our appt was Tuesday, but we weren't going to waste another moment so luckily we have a great social worker here and she came that day.  Our physicals were outdated too (update them every 12 months).  And we had to pack and somehow prepare for a baby.  Anyway we flew out on Tuesday morning.  And for the first time in my life, it felt like, everything fell perfectly into place.  We met the birthparents, who are such selfless, remarkable people and then met our new baby.  A moment that will be locked in my memory forever.  After we took placement of our baby girl we spent the evening with the birthparents.  That night at the hotel, we just stared at her all night long watching her sleep.  What an amazing feeling and what an amazing process.  The emotions you feel are indescribable.  

Being from Michigan we had to wait for the interstate compact which is usually 5-10 buisness days and then 2 days later we were told we could go home.  That also was so amazing.  We did stay a few extra days to be sure the birthfamily could spend time with her since they were planning on a longer stay as well, but we flew home as a family on Saturday and were welcomed home by our ecstatic family.

My heart is filled now with joy and gratitude and I have a happiness that I thought would never be possible.  My daughter was born on the last day of 2002 and I feel like that was God's way of saying "don't give up on me"  I was ready to just forget the year and it was the year my baby was born.  

To those of you who are parents-in-waiting, have faith.  I know you have heard that a thousand times before, but turn to the people that give you the most support and do all the things you enjoy. For a period of time I felt like the adoption process took over my life and I had lost some of those things that make me who I am, so continue to enjoy your life while you wait and trust those folks over at Abrazo.  They will come through for you. The happines you will feel at the end of your journey is immeasurable.

Enza, Brad, & Julia Grace

That is such a heartwarming, beautiful story. Thanks for sharing it!

Conratulations Enza, Brad and Julia Grace!!!!!  Even though I don't know you I am sooooo happy for you.  Dreams do come true!  

Thank you so much for sharing your story.  Many more blessings to you and your precious baby girl in 2003.

Dana

What a wonderful story of faith and destiny.  God truely does have a plan for each of us.  Congratulations!  I love the name you have chosen, Julia Grace.  Patience is a virtue and good things come to those who wait!  Congratulations again.  

Jean

Yayyyyy!!!!!  Thank you so much for sharing your story - I read it a few days ago and kept wondering, what do I say...how do I respond...it's taking me forever...finally, I just thought I'd say  :pCONGRATULATIONS!!! :p  because despite all you went through to get here, you're here now & THAT'S what really matters.  I know nothing will ever erase the pain and emotions you experienced during your "rollercoaster ride" but I also know just how high you're feeling now and it's like there's nothing in the world that could possibly happen to change how you feel now - it's just awesome.

Thank you again so much for sharing your story too - you have no idea just how much more touching, etc it is to read these baby announcements when you know all that happened before & behind the scenes.  The announcements are great & exciting, etc but it's like you always know there's more to it than just what's relayed on the forum (and I think it's great that Abrazo leaves it up to us to share if we so choose to, rather than them giving all the details).  

I hope more people will share their stories here and continue to update us all on how the family is doing, etc.

(P.S. There must be something about taking a vacation that brings about our babies because Lance & I had just returned from a 2 week (much needed) vacation a week before we rec'd the call on Kayleigh.  So, all you parents-in-waiting out there, go on & plan yourself a nice get-a-way....maybe there's something to that?  (Be sure to tell Abrazo though where you're going and how they can reach you and when you're coming home before you leave though - my goodness, you should have seen the fax I sent them before our trip (and we just went to Orlando) - I gave them my mobile, Lance's mobile, the lodge we were staying at's phone number, the address (in case they needed to fed-ex anything), my mom's number - there was no way I was going to miss "a call".  Even when I flew to Dallas on Fri, 12/6 to attend my grand-mother's funeral, I called Abrazo to let them know I wouldn't be reachable on my mobile for 4 hours as I'd be on a plane to Dallas - maybe I'm totally obsessive but you just never know when they need to reach you with no advance notice.)

Enjoy your days with Julia Grace (I love her name too!  Lance chose Kayleigh's name (because I'd chosen a boy's name) and if I'd been the one to choose Kayleigh's name, I would have gone with Grace as the middle name too - I just love the way that name sounds! )  We'd love to see a photo if you have one - you can create a really easy, totally novice free website for posting photos if you go to http://www.babiesonline.com/ where you can post a picture or two (or 30) of her so we can all see what a doll she is (if you have any digital photos).  

We're so happy for all of you!!

Love,

Lisa

http://www.thecornishfamily.net

Thank you all for all your kind words and for letting me share our story.  Parenthood is better than I ever could have expected.  We are so overjoyed.  I will post pictures so you all can see Julia Grace once we get a little more organized.  We're still spending most of our time just staring at her.  I feel like all other things can wait.  I'm still convincing myself it's real.  But by the happiness and contentment I feel in my heart I know it is.

I'm keeping all you parents-in-waiting in my prayers. You too will feel the joy a new child can bring.  Have faith.

Enza

Guest Melita Wilson
:p  

Congratulation Enza, Brad and Julia Grace!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinks so much for sharing your story and for such

encouraging words, It gives Parents- In Wating the hope

and faith to contune our journey for our little mirale to

happen, again congratulation and God Bless!!!

Melita

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't baby dust, B.O.G. hint-dropping nor Abrazo magic that brought today's miracle about, but rather, good old-fashioned Divine Intervention, which enabled one conscientious birthmom to free her chosen aps from their match with her--just in time to make them available for another birthmom, elsewhere, who delivered the very next week!

So it is that another lucky couple from our Los Nuevos Familias orientation weekend (8/02) have become parents, with this morning's placement of a tiny, newborn boy. We send loving wishes to both birthmothers, and to all those like them out there, who seek better lives for their children and in doing so, also help make dreams come true for our parents-in-waiting.

(And while we're at it, a special word of thanks to the heavenly host for watching over all our efforts and bringing Abrazo the very nicest of clients!! Amen!)

I've been waiting & waiting & waiting allllll day for this post!  (A little bird called me a few nights ago to let me know about this very special "possibility" and asked that Lance & I keep her, her husband, the birthfamily, & this precious little one in our prayers and I've been praying so much and thinking so positive for them, well - I'm so happy I could just burst! )

Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations to you both - soooo deserving of this miracle - I know just how special this little guy is to you both because I've been so fortunate to have developed such a great friendship with you albeit a remote one but that doesn't matter - you're very special people...I know it, Abrazo knows it, your birthmother knows it, & of course - The One & Only knows it for it is because of Him that your lives have been blessed as all of ours who have taken placement have and how all of you parents-in-waiting will soon experience.

Lance & I are truly, truly sooooooo happy for the three of you and I am thinking very special thoughts (as I have been since our phone call) for your son's birthmother - what a very special and dear person she is - I wish for her a very fullfilled life and peace with her decision - She has a wonderful set of Adoptive Parents to have a relationship with - there aren't two people in this entire world who will be better parents to her birth-son.  We'll be saying extra prayers for her tonight because this is likely one of the most difficult and heart-breaking days she will ever endure.

Our love & congratulations & best wishes!

Lisa, Lance, & Kayleigh Cornish  :D

• 4 weeks later...

They may have gotten off to a slow start, but these Forumites from the Fabulous Six-Packers (11/01) now know why no other baby could've "fit" their dreams--and why not?

It was all because their new little son just wasn't ready to enter the world and join their home until now! So it is that tonight, a faithful country couple from NC find themselves in Houston, pinching themselves to be sure it's for real and staying up all night to admire their precious baby boy.

Good things do come to those who wait, and this new family is living proof of that. Congratulations, y'all!! You couldn't have happened to a nicer baby!!

Guest Paul and Michelle D

YEEAAAHHH!!!  WOOHOO!!!!  Congratulations!!!  Prayers do get answered...and "Stork Central" is right...What a lucky little boy!!!  

All our love,

One of the Fabulous Six Packers

Paul, Michelle and Chloe Dahlke

Congrats go out to our fellow Fabulous Six-Packers!!!  We can't wait to meet your little angel!

Doug, Jennifer, & Miller

It's already "westward ho!" for a 10 lb., 13 oz. baby boy born this past weekend to a couple of our Holiday Hopefuls, (12/02), in a wonderful case that came together in just 2 weeks time!!

It was a cold, icy day in San Antonio today but while most other local establishments were closed due to weather, Abrazo's loyal team braved the climes to slide into work anyway, and now, a certain "gang" of two proudly number three!!  (So we're sending out five happy "attaboys", one each for Mom, Dad, Baby, birthmomma and birthdad, too.)

A hearty welcome, also, to our most recent orientation graduates, the February 2003 weekend participants who named themselves--help us out here, Stork Central needs a spell check on this one!-- "Los Misionarios"--or something that sounds just like that! We wish them Godspeed on their mission, and many inspiring Forum visits in the interim!! :D

Abrazo sent the future Miss Minnesota 2023 home with her proud new momma and grandmother today, to be welcomed home by three handsome brothers and an in-home auntie, as well! This terrific trio is headed home by way of Houston, where they're stopping for a special family reunion of sorts, as this precious little baby girl introduces her adopting family to the loving birthmother who is so anxious to meet them. We wish them happy trails and safe journeys, and we hope to lure Dr. Mom and crew back to Texas to meet the rest of our kin at Camp Abrazo one of these years!  Congratulations!

• 3 weeks later...

"Sugar and spice, and everything nice, that's what little girls are made of..."

Abrazo joyfully announces the culmination of a dream (and many answered prayers) for another of our againers, loyal Forumites from The Great BambinoFest orientation weekend of 10/02. Celebrate with us, as one of the sweetest of girl babies joins one the dearest of families, who in turn thank heaven for having been matched with such precious birthparents!

Congrats to the other againers from our group!!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D

We are so happy for you and we all know who the next family will be right?!?!  :p

Doug, Jennifer, and Miller

Nathan and I know!  Congratulations to the newest addition to both of the Great Bambinofest families.  I can't wait to see the latest pictures.  I know you are in heaven.  Your angel is coming home!  Congratulations!!

Love,

Jean and Nathan