My Son/Daughter Is Adopting!

ElizabethAnn

Grandma Sharron, I've wondered that myself, but I'm not sure whether it's because the other grandparents aren't on the computer or because their kids aren't telling them about the Forum! In the meantime, here's a lovely editorial by a Filipino grandpa whose next grandchild is coming home by way of China: Journeys Yet to Come. (Text follows, in case the link fails.) Enjoy! (And remember: not if? but WHEN! goes for grandparents-to-be, as well!) ;)

Thanks Elizabeth it's been a long 24 hours. You always know the right things to say.

Just a note to all you Grandparents-in-Waiting out there - Grandma Sharron (aka Moorekid) throws a great baby shower, so ask her for ideas! :D

Mom - Thank you so much for a wonderful day. I love you!!! :wub:

Colleen

The best gift I ever recieved was my daughter, I love you more Col!

Love and best wishes to all,

Grandma Sharron

Ahhhh Sharron! If only you could fly here and give my mother and MIL computer lessons! Neither of them will TOUCH a computer! Can you imagine that? :blink: We have two lovely southern belles that REFUSE to even learn! UGH!!!!!!!!! I myself, would love for them to be on the forum so I don't have to keep repeating myself to them, but noooooooooooo, computers are very scary things! :P

Hi Donna, I must admit until I HAD to learn for work I wanted no part of the comp. but now I can't stay off and more so now that I have joined the forum. Well I guess it looks like you will have to keep informing and repeating, but isn't it nice that they do try to keep up? I was affraid of invading Colleen's space so it took me a while to actually put my two cents in.

Keep trying and have a good day, I've been praying for you.

Sharron

Thank you Sharron! Ya'll are in my prayers, too! Oh, and I loved the shower pics! Colleen looked so happy! :)

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

My mother-in-law writes a column for several community papers - she wrote this column recently after being involved with our adoption just a month ago.

DAY BY DAY by Louise Day

Society in general and families in particular have a tendency to assign an unusual stigma to a mother that gives birth and then places the baby for adoption. They may criticize or judge before having all the facts. The state of affairs can be extremely complicated. Day by Day has the theory that under certain circumstances, anyone is capable of giving up their precious child to caring parents that will provide for the baby.

In open adoption the adoptive parents recognize that the reason the birth mother is making this legal agreement is because she loves the baby more than she loves herself. She wants her baby to be safe from harm, be given the sun, moon and stars; and that he/she will never need for anything so she chooses a family that is a God-send and an answer to her prayers.

One tearful birth mother, as she relinquished her baby to the adoptive parents, expressed her undying love for her child in a quote, “Thank you for watching over me; for guiding me every day. You teach me and protect me in each and every way.”

The day of relinquishment and placement is the best of times and the worst of times; it is an experience that brings grief, and joy. The adoptive parent’s unable to conceive and carry their own child to fruition experience grief. The birth mother, unable to care for her newborn infant, surrenders her child with a broken heart. This is the worst and best of times!

The best of times come when the little pink or blue bundle is cradled in the adoptive parent’s arms, and the birth mother has found peace because she believes the chosen parents will love and provide for the little darling. The sorrow of giving up the baby and the joy of getting the baby can only be shared and understood by the birth mother, the adoptive parents and their extended families.

E-mail daybyday@netcommander.com

Food for thought! - Claudia Duncan

Okay-- for as many Forum members as we have, I KNOW you all have family members who have been touched by or concerned about or curious over the adoption process and what it means in the life of your family! SO LET'S HEAR FROM THEM! Grandparents-by-adoption! Grandmas and Grandpas To Be! What are your thoughts? What are your questions? What are you learning (or what have you learned) about this process we call open adoption? How can we help you help your current or future grandkids who were/will be adopted embrace all the wonderful parts of who they are?