Appetizers, For Those Who Wait

...And Jesus answered them, "Have faith in God. Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be taken up and cast into the sea' and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they ask will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore, I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that it will come to pass, and it will be yours."      Mark 11:22-25

" ... be utterly amazed.  For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told."

-- Habakkuk 1:5

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him.  So now I give him to the Lord.  For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord."

1 Samuel 1:27-28

This verse has so much meaning to us.  We used it for our son's dedication and also have it framed and hung outside his bedroom door.  There is not a day that goes by that we do not thank God for Miller and his birthmom.

Miller's mommy

• 5 months later...

"He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the Lord."

Psalm 113:9

• 1 year later...

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed"

Proverbs 16:3

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart"

Psalm 37:4

Edited by marthaj

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wdterry

PARENTS OF TOMORROW

a weekend of hopes, a weekend of dreams

meeting new friends (or family, it seems)

a song we all heard, with everyone winning

& promises of love with brand new beginnings

we now see a rainbow amidst all the sorrow

we found a little happiness with parents of tomorrow

a loving wonderful staff, lots of support to share

it's always nice to know, there are others who care

we were never alone, for this we now know

our community of love still continues to grow

we can and will go on, for we are parents-to-be

a promise to ourselves and our brand new family

thank you abrazo, you've made us achievers

your parents of tomorrow.

with love,

the believers

• 1 year later...

A very dear friend of mine sent me some words of encouragement today which bear repeating:

According to C. S. Lewis, there are two kinds of people: "those who say to God, “Thy will be done,” and those to whom God says, “All right, then, have it your way.”

Try hard to let 'Thy will be done' become your mantra.

(Thanks, Dr. Mom!!)

wink.gif Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth!

Elizabeth,

Love it!!! That is so true you can make it easy on yourself or you can make it hard but either way ultimitly it is HIS way!

Jennifer, I just scrolled up and read your post on 1 Samuel 1:27-28. I just read the first chaper of 1 Samuel last night. I love the way Gods word is always there and never changes but depending on what you are going through in your life the meaning changes for you. My sister-in-law and I were talking about people being intimidated to read the Old Testiment over the weekend and she said "I always tell them to read 1st and 2nd Samuel, it is a good place to start and easy to follow" So I opened it up last night just to see refresh my memory of what 1 Samuel was all about and low and behold......it begins with the infertility of Hannah, I had totally forgotten..... God is so great! Anyway I thougth that it was interesting you had posted from the same scripture way back in 2002 and it had just come to my newly about to adopt eyes last night.

Kristen

From Roy Lessin, co-founder of DaySpring Cards:

Our Times Are In His Hands

Anyone who is familiar with the story of Alice In Wonderland will probably remember this quote: “I’m late! I’m late for a very important date!” All of us are impacted by time, appointments, schedules, days, and dates. Calendars have been a great tool to help us remember what day it is, what’s coming up in our schedules, and what important matters will need our attention. At the end of each year, a calendar is like an album containing little snapshots of what we’ve done and where we’ve been.

At home, our family has one simple rule: “Write everything down in pencil.” One important lesson a calendar teaches us is that plans can change. Doctor's appointments get canceled, dinner dates get rescheduled, and anticipated events don’t work out. Thankfully, that doesn’t mean that our lives are out of control, that nothing is certain, and that there’s nothing we can trust in.

The Bible tells us that our times are in God’s hands. That means that God is bigger than time, dates, and appointments. God’s plans for your life do not hinge on someone else’s schedule. God’s plans for your life cannot be frustrated by what others do or don’t do. God knows where you’ve been, He knows where you are, and He knows where He is leading you. His plans for you are made according to His wisdom, His love, and His power to perform them.

God wants you to move through this day with a quiet heart, an inward assurance that He is in control, a peaceful certainty that your life is in His hands, a deep trust in His plan and purposes, and a thankful disposition toward all that He allows. He wants you to put your faith in Him, not in a timetable. He wants you to wait on Him and wait for Him. In His perfect way He will put everything together ... see to every detail ... arrange every circumstance ... and order every step to bring to pass what He has for you.

Amen Feeling Blessed! That was awesome...thanks for sharing!

Susan

P.S. It was so great to meet you and your husband and your precious girls!! See you next year!

• 2 months later...

From Beth Moore's The Patriarchs:

Sometimes we can be so busy looking for what is missing in our lives that we miss Who is busily present in our lives. We're looking for God to do us future favors when He's trying to open our eyes to present ones. Remember, God purposes to use every second of a divinely-ordained wait to build us into the individuals our future demands we be. One most peculiar and exquisite experience of the faith is realizing that while you haven't seen answers or the way you should take, you've learned how to see the light of God Himself. Right there in the blindness of your circumstances.

Whether or not you ever realized it, God may have fed you with some of the very grain of your abundant season to get you through your famine. Times aren't always good, but God is. Maybe you don't have to forget all of that time. Maybe right now it's too painful to remember, but perhaps one day it won't be.

A child of God need never sink into hopelessness no matter how dismal an honest appraisal of their circumstances may be. Nothing is impossible with God. In fact, He may have saved back some harvest from those good seasons to faithfully sustain you.

FeelingBlessed,

I have to get this book. This is the second post tonight that I read from you in which you quoted Beth Moore's book. It seems to have such a powerful message. I'll be heading to books-a-million tommorow.

Thanks for sharing,

Sabrina

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the verses and words of encouragement! What a place to come when feeling a bit down. This process is such a roller coaster; I feel like we are stuck at the top of the super loop right now huh.gif May your will be done, my precious Savior! Thanks again everyone. You are a blessing to me biggrin.gif

Ashley

From a Christmas Eve devotional by David Roper:

The life of the mother of Jesus was simple and plain. She did the tasks that others did at her age, learning how to be a good homemaker for her future husband. There was nothing out of the ordinary about her external life -- at least not revealed in Scripture.

Yet what treasures of grace lie concealed in Mary's attitude! When the angel announced that her child would be called "the Son of God," she responded, "Let it be to me according to your word" (Luke 1:38).

Her answer contained all that our Lord requires -- the pure, simple submission of the soul to His will. This was the secret of Mary's deep spirituality: She abandoned herself to God's will in the present and received the grace to do what God asked of her.

What is God asking you to do? It may be something magnificent, or something ordinary. It may be to respond actively to a command of Scripture, or to submit patiently to present suffering. "What God arranges for us to experience at each moment is the holiest thing that could happen to us," commented the 18th century writer Jean-Pierre de Caussade.

Are you able to accept each moment with grace and submission? Can you respond to the Lord as Mary said to the angel, "Let it be to me according to your word"?

May we learn the blessed secret

Of delighting in Your will

Welcoming what e'er you send us

Joy or sorrow, good or ill.

-- Anonymous

• 2 years later...

Wow, I had never read this forum!! it's really encouraging. And Elizabeth that quote from very long ago, about THy will be done. That really meant a lot to me right now. Ive been struggeling with this court martial stuff alot like what if he doesn't get convicted etc etc etc. But I just need to let go and let God!! Thanks again!!

• 3 months later...