Spiritual Enrichment

VERY cool conversation.

I agree... and I'm glad this information will be out here on the forum for future expectant, birth and adoptive parents. Dealing with the issue of forgiveness (of self and others) is tough. I've sent B a note with this information and told her I'll send her more info as I find it and receive guidance from others.

Thank you all for responding. :wub:

I'm so proud of her for seeking a positive way to relieve the weight that's on her shoulders so she can heal some wounds and lead a happier life. I'm happy it's through a relationship with God, but in general... this is a positive step for her and such a healthy way of dealing with hurt.

After another emotional call last night, I went seeking scripture on faith, strength, peace and trust in God.

Proverbs 4:23 - Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.

John 14:27 - I'm leaving you with peace of mind and heart! And the peace I give isn't fragile like the peace the world gives, so don't be troubled or afraid.

Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.

Deuteronomy 31:6 - Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”

Isaiah 41:10 - Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Melissa,

Wonderful scriptures. They are some of my favorite.

Leah

Just stumbled onto another great passage:

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

I say this one very often. This is one of the ones my Mom always quotes me.

L x

• 9 months later...

My mom texted me something this morning, saying that she'd read it during her bible study and it reminded her of the feelings I described after we un-matched with J, just days before we got that fateful call from Bianca that led us to her and our son.

Peaceful

"I know God is speaking to me when, in spite of my initial struggle, an undeniable release and peace follows when I have obeyed His voice. When I finally do the thing He has been nudging me to do, whether it's letting something or someone go, or taking a step toward the unknown, there is a deep calm in my soul. Where my heart and mind were once filled with terrible angst, I am now filled with a supernatural peace." - Kathy Troccoli

My mom texted me something this morning, saying that she'd read it during her bible study and it reminded her of the feelings I described after we un-matched with J, just days before we got that fateful call from Bianca that led us to her and our son.

Peaceful

"I know God is speaking to me when, in spite of my initial struggle, an undeniable release and peace follows when I have obeyed His voice. When I finally do the thing He has been nudging me to do, whether it's letting something or someone go, or taking a step toward the unknown, there is a deep calm in my soul. Where my heart and mind were once filled with terrible angst, I am now filled with a supernatural peace." - Kathy Troccoli

That is a great quote!

Thanks for sharing that quote, Melissa!

Ok so its ironic that this subject has been coming up on the new content because since the hospital i have been thinking about God alot.I once was very involved in church and very dedicated to my faith.My family were members of a great church i was very active in the youth group i led the choir of younger girls and organized outings for us.My mom was in charge of our drama and mime team which i was a part of.Our youth group did weekend retreats once a month and spent our entire summers in Mexico on missions trips.My life revolved around the church ,but it was natural because it was my family and friends so it didnt feel like i was a "Bible thumper" i didnt talk about religion every where i went or anything.But i do remember the peace i had in my life.I didnt have this anxiety or paranoia in every moment that i have now.I backslide and fell into a drug world for years after age 15 then when i was in the county jail awaiting sentencing in 2005..i got back into the Bible and found my faith.I led the Bible study and found my peace again.But i mis placed my faith...i believed that because i was innocent and God was the only one that knew that He would never let them find me guilty...i was sentenced to 5 years.I turned away from God then i was mad at Him i felt like i didnt want a relstionship with a God that would allow this to happen to me.I realized upon my release in 2010 that He had a reason for me to do the 5 years i still havent found it but i know my fall will serve a purpose at some point.

Anyways i have been thinking about that peace alot lately...and Riley learning about God.About the woman i am when im involved in church verses the woman i am when im not and how i want to be the best most positive me i can be for Riley.and for E&J because i see how much they want me to reach my potential and do great things and it makes me want to.

But i dont know how to start and not feel fake.I dont know how to go from being so not faithful to being a good christian again.How do you incorporate something so fully into a life that it could never fit in?Or change your life so much for it to fit?I guess where do i start?Sammy Sue is going to a great church that even has an adoption group for birthmoms and i plan on going with her on Sundays starting this week.But i know it takes much more than just sunday.Any tips?O yeah and buying a study Bible might help hahahaha :)

But i dont know how to start and not feel fake.I dont know how to go from being so not faithful to being a good christian again.How do you incorporate something so fully into a life that it could never fit in?Or change your life so much for it to fit?I guess where do i start?Sammy Sue is going to a great church that even has an adoption group for birthmoms and i plan on going with her on Sundays starting this week.But i know it takes much more than just sunday.Any tips?O yeah and buying a study Bible might help hahahaha :)

Mandi, I can only speak for myself here (I realize there are many different faiths/religious ideals represented on the forum!). I don't see myself as good or able to "earn" any religious favor with God. I think that He freely gives that to us, and that He is perfect because we are not! Then I try to live according to what I see in the Bible. For me I try to read and learn what it says, and then how I can apply that in my every day life. That being said, I fail every day and often have to ask forgiveness from others or from God and I believe He freely gives it no matter what we've done or where we've been. I think one of the best thing Christians can do is to be genuine and not feel like we have to fake being someone we are not. I think it is ok to admit where we are weak or have struggles.

There are many things in my life that I can't understand why they happened. I have never had what happened to you, but we've had some sad things happen. The only thing I can put my hope in is that God is using those times to make me into the person He wants me to be and also to be able to help others who have gone through hard times. I heard someone once talk about our life being like a tapestry. Sometimes we can only see a thread here or there and it looks ugly and knotted, but at the end we'll be able to look back and see how all the bad and good was woven together to make a beautiful piece.

• Upvote 3

Mandi, I can only speak for myself here (I realize there are many different faiths/religious ideals represented on the forum!). I don't see myself as good or able to "earn" any religious favor with God. I think that He freely gives that to us, and that He is perfect because we are not! Then I try to live according to what I see in the Bible. For me I try to read and learn what it says, and then how I can apply that in my every day life. That being said, I fail every day and often have to ask forgiveness from others or from God and I believe He freely gives it no matter what we've done or where we've been. I think one of the best thing Christians can do is to be genuine and not feel like we have to fake being someone we are not. I think it is ok to admit where we are weak or have struggles.

There are many things in my life that I can't understand why they happened. I have never had what happened to you, but we've had some sad things happen. The only thing I can put my hope in is that God is using those times to make me into the person He wants me to be and also to be able to help others who have gone through hard times. I heard someone once talk about our life being like a tapestry. Sometimes we can only see a thread here or there and it looks ugly and knotted, but at the end we'll be able to look back and see how all the bad and good was woven together to make a beautiful piece.

I think that was very well put i get what you're saying.I lean that way too with living life by what the Bible says more than by sermons or stereo types.And i think remembering that i can be forgiven and God knows im gonna mess up is key for me to remember trying to keep from putting human emotions on my thoughts of Him is hard i expect Him to be like my mom or dad and therefore i aim for perfection of give up on the "im the blacksheep o well" train of thought and i have to remember He isnt like that He knows my heart.So maybe just getting back into studying and reading the Bible and applying what i can day by day thats great advice thanks Hannah!

I have learned that the hard times make me who He wants me to be and that is a hard lesson to learn as i am sure you know but a very important one i think.

wow i love that and i am gonna print it for my mirror i can see my life as a tapestry. thank you Hannah :)

Sammy Sue is going to a great church that even has an adoption group for birthmoms and i plan on going with her on Sundays starting this week. :)

This is a great way to start being active in the church again. All it takes is one day at a time, nothing extraordinary Mandi. You don't have to be someone you are not. You don't have to believe everything the church believes, there is still benefit to being in the Lord's house as often as you realistically can and want. It sometimes helps to be around other believers.

However feeling close to God through prayer can be done anytime, anywhere.

Peace be with you,

Karen

I found the poem I had in mind. I had forgotten it was written by Corrie Ten Boom (not sure if you know of her, but she helped to hide Jews during the Holocaust). Here it is:

Life is But a Weaving

Corrie Ten Boom (The Tapestry Poem)

My life is but a weaving

Between my God and me.

I cannot choose the colors

He weaveth steadily.

Oft' times He weaveth sorrow;

And I in foolish pride

Forget He sees the upper

And I the underside.

Not 'til the loom is silent

And the shuttles cease to fly

Will God unroll the canvas

And reveal the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful

In the weaver's skillful hand

As the threads of gold and silver

In the pattern He has planned

He knows, He loves, He cares;

Nothing this truth can dim.

He gives the very best to those

Who leave the choice to Him.

• Upvote 2

Mandi,

Sounds like you are on the right track, and Hannah and Karen have both shared some wonderful insight. I have found for me that admitting my weakness to God and asking Him to strengthen me and help me live the way he wants me to is very powerful. I don't believe God expects us to "do it," but rather it is what He does in and through us. Just being yielded to him which, like Karen said, is a day by day thing (even minute by minute sometimes). Your story reminds me of Joseph in the Old Testament who was falsely accused and put into prison in Eqypt where he seemed to be forgotten. (And this was after being betrayed by his own brothers and sold into slavery.) Then one day, God brought him out and lifted him to a position second only to Pharoah. When he was reunited with his brother later he told them that what they meant for evil, God used for good. I, too, went through a period of time where I was mad at God because I knew He could change my circumstances and yet He did not. But now I see that what seemed to be for bad was actually used for my good.

I wish you so much joy and peace for your life.

• Upvote 3

Thanks everyone for the great words of wisdom and encouragement its great to know i can take it a day at a time and even as i fall im still getting better daily :)

So im looking for a great study Bible one thats easy to understand but still not so over translated that it can mis representative if you know what i mean? Any tips?

I found the poem I had in mind. I had forgotten it was written by Corrie Ten Boom (not sure if you know of her, but she helped to hide Jews during the Holocaust). Here it is:

Life is But a Weaving

Corrie Ten Boom (The Tapestry Poem)

My life is but a weaving

Between my God and me.

I cannot choose the colors

He weaveth steadily.

Oft' times He weaveth sorrow;

And I in foolish pride

Forget He sees the upper

And I the underside.

Not 'til the loom is silent

And the shuttles cease to fly

Will God unroll the canvas

And reveal the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful

In the weaver's skillful hand

As the threads of gold and silver

In the pattern He has planned

He knows, He loves, He cares;

Nothing this truth can dim.

He gives the very best to those

Who leave the choice to Him.

That poem is gorgeous.

Thanks everyone for the great words of wisdom and encouragement its great to know i can take it a day at a time and even as i fall im still getting better daily :)

So im looking for a great study Bible one thats easy to understand but still not so over translated that it can mis representative if you know what i mean? Any tips?

Mandi,

Some of my favorite Bible studies are those written by Beth Moore. You can find them at lifeway.com. If I think of any others I will let you know. Also, Lysa Terkeurst has written a great book called "Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl." It was very helpful to me.

Another great Bible Study is called the Alpha Course. I looked it up and there are lots of locations for the course in the San Antonio area if you are interested in going. Check out the website link for more information about it. I've heard really great things about the study.

Another great Bible Study is called the Alpha Course. I looked it up and there are lots of locations for the course in the San Antonio area if you are interested in going. Check out the website link for more information about it. I've heard really great things about the study.

I've heard great things about that course at the church we attend. I would really like to sign-up for it.