Prayer of A Mother

Lord, tonight I pray that you watch over my children as they grow.  Don't let them see pain or hurt like I have.  Let them live a full life.  Let them know happiness without pain.  Let them learn from me so they may not have to learn the hard way.  

Thank you Lord for my children, and the chance at life they have.  Thank you for my life.  Thank you for making me a stronger person.  Let my children grow in my protective shadow.  Please don't let them see the ugly side of life.  Lord, I have seen their share.  

Lord, please protect them as they sleep tonight.  As far away as they are from me.  Let them feel my love in my absence.  Let them see that I love them.  That I made the choice I made out of Love.

Lord, PLEASE be with my children.

-Angel

• 1 year later...

This prayer was published at our church (Prince of Peace Catholic Church, San Antonio) as a blessing for the new school year.

PRAYER FOR OUR CHILDREN

Lord, giver of light, life and hope,

you have entrusted your children to our care.

We cherish their love and their energy for life.

Help us to help them be people of strength, character and integrity.

Share with us the wisdom that will shape their minds.

Share with us the love that will guide their hearts.

Share with us the courage that will shape their future.

Be the light that guides them and us to your glory and goodness.

Amen

Guest CJsProudParents

This is something my late mother emailed me several months before she passed away. Yesterday would've been her birthday. I hope she always knew how much she was appreciated, even when her family forgot to remind her as often as we should have.

This is for the mothers who have sat up all night with sick toddlers in their arms, saying, "It's okay honey, Mommy's here."

Who have sat in rocking chairs for hours on end soothing crying babies who can't be comforted.  

For all the mothers who run carpools and make cookies and sew Halloween costumes.  

This is for the mothers whose priceless art collections are hanging on their refrigerator doors.  

This is for all the mothers who sat down with their children and explained all about making babies. And for all the (grand)mothers who wanted to, but just couldn't find the  words.

This is for all the mothers who go hungry, so their children can eat. 

For all the mothers who read "Goodnight, Moon" twice a night for a year.  And then read it again. "Just one more time."

This is for all the mothers who taught their children to tie their shoelaces before they started school. And for all the mothers who opted for Velcro instead. 

This is for all the mothers who teach their sons to cook and their daughters to sink a jump shot.

This is for every mother whose head turns automatically when a little voice calls "Mom?" in a crowd, even though they know their own offspring  are at home -- or even away at college. 

This is for all the mothers who sent their kids to school with stomach aches, assuring them they'd be just FINE once they got there, only to get calls from the school nurse an hour later asking them to please pick them up. Right  away. 

This is for mothers whose children have gone astray,  who can't find the words to reach them.

For all the mothers of the victims of recent school  shootings, and the mothers of those who did the shooting.

This is for all the mothers who taught their children to be peaceful, and now pray they come home safely from a war. 

What makes a good Mother anyway? Is it patience? Compassion?  

The ability to feed a baby, cook dinner, and sew a button on a shirt, all at the same time?

Or is it in her heart?

Is it the ache you feel when you watch your son or daughter disappear down the street, walking to school alone for the very first time?

The jolt that takes you from sleep to dread, from bed to crib at 2 A.M. to put your hand on the back of a sleeping baby?

The panic, years later, that comes again at 2 A.M.  when you just want to hear their key in the door and know they are safe again in your home?

Or the need to flee from wherever you are and hug your child when you hear news of a fire, a car accident, a child dying?

The emotions of motherhood are universal and so our thoughts are for young mothers stumbling through diaper changes and sleep deprivation...  And mature mothers learning to let go. 

For working mothers and stay-at-home mothers. 

Single mothers and married mothers.

Mothers with money, mothers without.

This is for you all. For all of us...

Hang in there. In the end we can only do the best we can.

Tell them every day that we love them. And pray.

Edited by CJsProudParents

• 1 year later...

I wanted to share this beautiful prayer. I found these words to be most meaningful for me, a mother by adoption.

A MOTHER'S PRAYER

O Lord

I need your help today.

I want to care

for those you've sent into my life,

to help them develop the

special gifts

you've given them.

But I also want to free them

to follow their own paths

and to bring their loving wisdom

to the world.

Help me

to embrace them without clutching,

to support them without suffocating,

to correct them without crushing.

And help me

to live joyfully and playfully,

myself,

so they can see your life in me

and find their way to you.

Amen

Jean,

I forgot to say...I am not the author of that beautiful prayer. I received it as a hand out at my Mother's Enrichment Group meeting.

I'm glad you liked it! smile.gif

• 1 month later...

ladies, i have just cried my way through these prayers and shares. Birthmoms - you have a strength and power that i believe is topped only by God Himself. Adoptive parents, i cannot imagine what you have gone through to get where you are now, but am so very grateful that you have. your love and compassion cannot be equaled. i know not what else to say to convey to you my admiration for all of you, so i will not try. Thank You for showing your love and trust in each other for the sake of all the beautiful children.

• 10 months later...
Simply amazing:

That any Being as brilliant and perfect as the Almighty God
would use something as humiliating and imperfect as
an unplanned pregnancy
to bring about a miracle
as great as Baby Jesus,
the Light of the World...

Amazing:
that God, in God's infinite wisdom,
entrusted the safe-keeping of that babe
not to a state-licensed social worker
(nor to a degreed intellectual
nor to a married couple with a stable home)
but instead, to one very young girl
whose character would undoubtedly be doubted
and whose virtue would be questioned
just because she was pregnant out of wedlock...

Amazing:
that the Most Perfect Baby in the entire universe
resulted from a pregnancy with no prenatal care,
resulted from a delivery not in a renowned hospital
nor at a luxury birthing center
but rather in a dirty manger,
where Mother & Child were attended
not by board-certified ob-gyns
but rather, by livestock and strangers
(not one of whom had insurance nor Medicaid)...

Amazing:
that one Divine Parent with so much love to give
should have to entrust a child to others
while knowing they could not possibly protect
the beloved baby from all the sorrows of this life...
That we have all qualified for adoption into
that greater Family, regardless of our shortcomings...
And that the most humble of beginnings
still beget some of God's most wonderful miracles,
even today, is surely

Nothing short of amazing.

• 8 years later...

Someone sent this to me recently and it made me tear up. My babies are growing up too fast!

Aww!

It is so hard to see them grow and change but still so exciting to see at the same time.

I posted something on Facebook a few weeks ago about this.

Repost from Jen Hatmaker- Trying to remember when my car was filled with tinies and car seats and sippy cups. Now it is crammed with giant-bodies teenagers and Tweens. It really does go very, very fast.

I love Big Kids. You will too, Mama of Littles. Enjoy them now, sure, but don't worry...you won't use up all your best years while they are young. You'll enjoy them later too! Parenting is not an exercise in scarcity. There is always more to look forward to. Even when they have driver's licenses and college applications in the mailbox. Big Kids can make sandwiches! And do their own math homework! And get your jokes!

We don't have to white knuckle any season! The next one will be precious too. Relax. Enjoy where you are, and don't grieve the impending next phase, because it will have all its own charms, I swear."

It's hard to do but is a nice reminder!

• 2 weeks later...