ThirstQuenchers: Encouragement for the Parched

From the website of Max Lucado, San Antonio's pastor-to-the-world, comes this special message of the day, reprinted from his book "The Great House of God": God's Special Mission- Adoption! (Text appears below, in case the link goes bad, but be sure to sign up for Max's free daily devotional if this helps you in your daily walk.)

God's Mission: Adoption

by Max Lucado

When we come to Christ, God not only forgives us, he also adopts us. Through a dramatic series of events, we go from condemned orphans with no hope to adopted children with no fear. Here is how it happens. You come before the judgment seat of God full of rebellion and mistakes. Because of his justice he cannot dismiss your sin, but because of his love he cannot dismiss you. So, in an act which stunned the heavens, he punished himself on the cross for your sins. God’s justice and love are equally honored. And you, God’s creation, are forgiven. But the story doesn’t end with God’s forgiveness.

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out “Abba! Father!” The Spirit himself bears witness with our Spirit that we are children of God (Rom. 8:15–16 NASB).

But when the fullness of time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, in order that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons (Gal. 4:4–5 NASB).

It would be enough if God just cleansed your name, but he does more. He gives you his name. It would be enough if God just set you free, but he does more. He takes you home. He takes you home to the Great House of God.

Adoptive parents understand this more than anyone. I certainly don’t mean to offend any biological parents—I’m one myself. We biological parents know well the earnest longing to have a child. But in many cases our cribs were filled easily. We decided to have a child and a child came. In fact, sometimes the child came with no decision. I’ve heard of unplanned pregnancies, but I’ve never heard of an unplanned adoption.

That’s why adoptive parents understand God’s passion to adopt us. They know what it means to feel an empty space inside. They know what it means to hunt, to set out on a mission, and take responsibility for a child with a spotted past and a dubious future. If anybody understands God’s ardor for his children, it’s someone who has rescued an orphan from despair, for that is what God has done for us.

God has adopted you. God sought you, found you, signed the papers and took you home.

gray]From The Great House of God

Copyright (W Publishing Group, 1997) Max Lucado

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

"Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.

They will soar on wings like eagles;

they will run and not grow weary,

they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

Yesterday at church, the sermon was about hope, which got me thinking of our Parents-In-Waiting...

What the pastor said was that true hope is not outcome-based; rather, hope means understanding the presence of hardship in our lives. Being hopeful doesn't mean believing that everything that lies ahead of us will be to our choosing, but knowing that whatever comes, we have nothing to fear. Hope conquers fear. It lends us the strength to keep on keeping on.

"Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up." -- Anne Lamott

got hope?

God's Mission: Adoption

by Max Lucado

When we come to Christ, God not only forgives us, he also adopts us. Through a dramatic series of events, we go from condemned orphans with no hope to adopted children with no fear. Here is how it happens. You come before the judgment seat of God full of rebellion and mistakes. Because of his justice he cannot dismiss your sin, but because of his love he cannot dismiss you. So, in an act which stunned the heavens, he punished himself on the cross for your sins. God’s justice and love are equally honored. And you, God’s creation, are forgiven. But the story doesn’t end with God’s forgiveness.

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out “Abba! Father!” The Spirit himself bears witness with our Spirit that we are children of God (Rom. 8:15–16 NASB).

But when the fullness of time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, in order that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons (Gal. 4:4–5 NASB).

It would be enough if God just cleansed your name, but he does more. He gives you his name. It would be enough if God just set you free, but he does more. He takes you home. He takes you home to the Great House of God.

Adoptive parents understand this more than anyone. I certainly don’t mean to offend any biological parents—I’m one myself. We biological parents know well the earnest longing to have a child. But in many cases our cribs were filled easily. We decided to have a child and a child came. In fact, sometimes the child came with no decision. I’ve heard of unplanned pregnancies, but I’ve never heard of an unplanned adoption.

That’s why adoptive parents understand God’s passion to adopt us. They know what it means to feel an empty space inside. They know what it means to hunt, to set out on a mission, and take responsibility for a child with a spotted past and a dubious future. If anybody understands God’s ardor for his children, it’s someone who has rescued an orphan from despair, for that is what God has done for us.

God has adopted you. God sought you, found you, signed the papers and took you home.

gray]From The Great House of God

Copyright (W Publishing Group, 1997) Max Lucado

Beautiful sentiment. I needed this today.

• 3 months later...

This is a lovely poem by Browning which was in our church bulletin today;

If I forget, God remembers.

If these hands of mine cease from their clinging,

yet the hands divine hold me so firmly I cannot fall.

And if sometimes I am too tired to call Him to help me,

then He reads the prayers unspoken in my heart and lifts my care.

I dare not fear, since certainly I know that I am in God's keeping,

shielded so, from all that else would harm, and

in the hour of stern temptation, strengthened by His power.

I tread no path in life to Him unknown;

I lift no burden, bear no pain alone.

My soul, a calm sure hiding place has found;

the everlasting Arms my life surround.

God, Thou art love! I build my faith on that.

I know Thee who has kept my path, and

made light for me in the darkness,

tempering sorrow so that it reached me like a solemn joy.

It were too strange that I should doubt Thy love.

This lent me such comfort, just reading it this morning! I hope by sharing it, someone else might glean the same assurance from these timeless verses.

Thank you Elizabeth for giving us the light for the next step we are on in the adoption journey. May blessings too you and your family.

• 11 months later...

I was thinking about our PIWs who endure the sorrows and dashed hopes of failed matches, when I ran across this benediction by the former Chaplain of the U.S. Senate:

You go nowhere by accident.

Wherever you go, God is sending you.

Wherever you are, God has put you there.

God has a purpose in your being here.

Christ who indwells you has something He wants to do through you, where you are.

Believe this, and go in His grace and love and power.

Richard C. Halverson

Blessings, today, on all who wait in hope!

I was thinking about our PIWs who endure the sorrows and dashed hopes of failed matches, when I ran across this benediction by the former Chaplain of the U.S. Senate:

You go nowhere by accident.

Wherever you go, God is sending you.

Wherever you are, God has put you there.

God has a purpose in your being here.

Christ who indwells you has something He wants to do through you, where you are.

Believe this, and go in His grace and love and power.

Richard C. Halverson

Blessings, today, on all who wait in hope!

Thank You, I believe this is so true.

Prayers for all those in waiting,

Tracey

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to copy this here, because it was originally posted on the Bald Tires thread and I thought it was so special, it deserved to be someplace else where folks could find it, as well! (Thanks, Rebecca!)

This past Sunday at church my pastor gave me an excerpt from a book to read. It was called A Family of Two. Basically, this woman felt that her church's family friendly activities meant having events focused on children. She cringed at these events because people would always ask her "when are you going to start a family?". They had been trying, but hadn't talked about adoption or any other options

One day in her Sunday School class she read the creation story ("God saw all that he had made, and it was very good"). A little girl raised her hand and said there weren't any children. This woman came to realize that God's creation in His words was very good (not almost good or sort of good). She realized that she and her husband were not a couple waiting to become a family; they were already a family. She said "we were who God created us to be. We needed to stop seeing ourselves as a family-in-waiting and instead start being a family of two."

They started enjoying family activites together and doing things she'd once envisioned doing with her children.

When someone asked her "so, when are you going to start a family?" she replied "We already have. We just aren't sure if God is going to add to it or not."

She has written a book called Empty Womb, Aching Heart (Marlo Schalesky) - it says it offers understanding and hope to those struggling with the heartbreak of infertility. I haven't read the book so I don't know if it is good or not.

I'm thinking of all the parents in waiting.

God has a plan for all of us. I know it is hard to be patient, but we must trust in Him and know that He already knows what will happen.

I just wanted to copy this here, because it was originally posted on the Bald Tires thread and I thought it was so special, it deserved to be someplace else where folks could find it, as well! (Thanks, Rebecca!)

This past Sunday at church my pastor gave me an excerpt from a book to read. It was called A Family of Two. Basically, this woman felt that her church's family friendly activities meant having events focused on children. She cringed at these events because people would always ask her "when are you going to start a family?". They had been trying, but hadn't talked about adoption or any other options

One day in her Sunday School class she read the creation story ("God saw all that he had made, and it was very good"). A little girl raised her hand and said there weren't any children. This woman came to realize that God's creation in His words was very good (not almost good or sort of good). She realized that she and her husband were not a couple waiting to become a family; they were already a family. She said "we were who God created us to be. We needed to stop seeing ourselves as a family-in-waiting and instead start being a family of two."

They started enjoying family activites together and doing things she'd once envisioned doing with her children.

When someone asked her "so, when are you going to start a family?" she replied "We already have. We just aren't sure if God is going to add to it or not."

She has written a book called Empty Womb, Aching Heart (Marlo Schalesky) - it says it offers understanding and hope to those struggling with the heartbreak of infertility. I haven't read the book so I don't know if it is good or not.

I'm thinking of all the parents in waiting.

God has a plan for all of us. I know it is hard to be patient, but we must trust in Him and know that He already knows what will happen.

This is SO true. Perhaps the book should go on the reading list of PIW.

• 2 months later...

AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY

by Susan Zaremba

Never in my life had I imagined,

I would be where I am now.

I always thought the road would be smooth and easy,

When I made my wedding vow.

We would have a family, just like that,

Whenever we decided to, at the drop of a hat.

Nobody around me in my life led me to believe otherwise,

That I would not become a mother, when I became a wife.

But the road has been so long, with lots of curves and hills

And bumps, and things that just went so wrong...

When I thought I was at the end of my journey and my baby was meant to be,

Once again I crashed and was awakened to reality.

So I continue on my travels, I go on trying, and hoping, and crying...

As the story of my fate unravels... at least I have found some peace in knowing

That along the way, I have met others,

Who are on this journey to become mothers.

And I may have found a gift, that God has blessed me with to share,

Until we all find our way there.

There-- where we are not going in circles, or hitting a dead end,

But seeing the horizon ahead, and then this empty hole will mend...

As our journey ends, which we complete with our new friends,

and on this road we will finally find

our children to hold,

and our grandchildren

as we grow old.

On this unexpected journey,

Which I never knew would be so long,

Or so rough,

Or so inspiring,

Or that it would make me so strong.

I'm glad I am now taking the scenic route.

I'm learning what it's all about.

It will be worth it without a doubt!

• 2 weeks later...

From the book "The Shack" by William Young... a quote attributed to that novel's version of God, which may help soothe the souls of those struggling with various adoption losses:

"Just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn’t mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don’t ever assume that my using something means I caused it or that I needed it to accomplish my purposes. That will only lead you to false notions about me. Grace doesn’t depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors."

From the book "The Shack" by William Young... a quote attributed to that novel's version of God, which may help soothe the souls of those struggling with various adoption losses:

"Just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn’t mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don’t ever assume that my using something means I caused it or that I needed it to accomplish my purposes. That will only lead you to false notions about me. Grace doesn’t depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors."

That was one of my favorite quotes out of The Shack as well.

• 3 weeks later...

That is beautiful. I have been thinking along these lines lately as I have been getting ready to have lunch with an old friend who's been struggling with infertility for years now. It's hard to put into words just how I see God at work in our own journey thru infertility and adoption--but those words from The Shack come pretty close. Love it! Thanks!!