Infertility Qualification

Guest cakemaker

Guest cakemaker

I'm brand new to this board and I was reading the particulars on the website.  I have "unexplained infertility" on my medical charts for 10 years running, does that qualify us to do an adoption with this agency?

Thanks so much! ???

Welcome Cakemaker!

I also have "unexplained infertility" and we are now the proud parents of a 18 month old son and a 3 month old daughter.  Without Abrazo (and our wonderful birthparents) we would not have our beautiful children.  So the answer is yes unexplained infertility did qualify us.  I would say give Angela a call and she can answer your questions.  Abrazo is a wonderful agency :D

Welcome Cakemaker!

I too have a diagnosis of unexplained infertility.  I am now the proud mommy of a ten month old dynamo  named Nathan.

Abrazo is the place where dreams of parenthood are embraced, nurtured, and facilitated.  Call Angela and get an inquiry packet, then hang on for the most wonderful adventure of your life!

Hi Cakemaker,

I had "secondary" infertility, which means I had a biological child and then was unable to have any subsequent pregnancies.  Abrazo was very welcoming and within 4 months of our orientation weekend we brought home the most beautiful baby boy ( of course, I am not biased at all  )

I am sure if you make the call to Abrazo you will not regret it.

Good Luck and take care,

Jeannie :p

Welcome Cakemaker,  

Like the other posts I also have unexplained fertility and we were in the October 2003 orientation weekend and now have a beautiful 3 month old daughter.  Abrazo (along with birthparents) makes dreams come true so give them a call they will answer any questions you may have.

Good luck.

Hi, Cakemaker... Welcome! Abrazo is blessed to have the very nicest of clients, and we work hard to be certain that our program is truly "right" for those who come into it--for everybody's sake.

For admission purposes, Abrazo defines infertility as the "documented medical inability to conceive a child" and we ask for doctor's verification at time of application, to ensure that we are accepting only the people we can help best into our full-service program. (The vast majority of Abrazo's birthparents join our program because they know we work with folks who could never otherwise become parents and this offers them a certain comfort, in knowing they truly are making a miracle happen both for their child and a couple in need.)

For this reason, folks with "elective" infertility (those who can get pregnant but choose not to for personal reasons), with  "impaired" fertility (those who can achieve pregnancy but may or may not carry to term) or "voluntary" infertility (those who have engaged in voluntary sterilization) are eligible only for consideration in our designated and special needs programs.

We do ask those with unexplained infertility who enter the full-service program to take care during the process to prevent pregnancy from occurring, if need be. This is because an unplanned adoptive parent pregnancy in the course of an adoption plan (wonderful as that may be!) would disqualify them from continued services, disrupting any pending placement and necessitating their exit from our program with forfeiture of those fees already paid.

We're so glad you've found your way to Abrazo's website. You'll find the greatest advice and support amongst our forum friends here, and and we wish you all the best, wherever your parenting roads may lead.

Guest cakemaker

Oh my goodness.  Thank you for the gracious responses from all of you.  I can now understand why our friends went with this agency.  Thank you for answering my question.  I appreciate it very, very much! :D

Hi, Jacqui, and welcome to the Forum! So glad you found your way here-- Abrazo has the very nicest of clients, and our Forum family is the best online support group out there anywhere, in my humble opinion!

We would love to be able to help you build your family, however, to date, the only folks abroad we've worked with have been US citizens living overseas temporarily. This is primarily because we specialize in open, domestic placements, wherein the open adoption relationships so important for the children we place tend to require closer geographical access, in order to be truly effective. (Even our US clients generally make 3-4 trips to Texas just in the course of the 6-12 month adoption process; for orientation, pre-birth meeting with birthparent/s, placement and finalization).

We welcome you to become an active Forum participant, just the same. And Jacqui, if you'd like to call our family services coordinator, Angela, during business hours M-F, CST (dial the US country code + 210/342-5683), we'll be happy to research other possible means of assisting you, or finding a compatible American international program that may be able to help. We care!

• 1 year later...

Just a quick clarification please...it seems whenever I share the fact of Catherine's adoption with others, there is always someone who knows someone who has a friend (you get the picture!) who either has adopted or is thinking about adopting. Sometimes those friends are single professional women.

How is the infertility question applied to singles? Do singles have to have a doctor's assessment as well? I know there have been celebrity singles who adopted as singles...then later married and had bio children (Michelle Pfieffer is one of those folks.)

I'm sure this question has come up before. What is the criteria for single, divorced or widowed persons vs married couples?

Thanks!

Dear Martha,

In my case, I am divorced and adopted as a single parent. I had unexplained infertility on my record dating back to my marriage and my OBGYN wrote a letter stating that I was infertile. I found Abrazo to be the only agency that warmly and encouragingly welcomed me into their fold. I never felt less or awkward because I was single. I will say that I think it helped that I was open to any healthy infant. I have encouraged several single professional women who have expressed interest to contact Abrazo. The general population thinks it's "hard" to adopt as a single, but if the desire is truely in your heart it will happen if you persue it with Abrazo. Like they say, it's not if it's when, and that goes for singles, too.

Jean

Jean,

Your response is just beautiful and very eloquently said! Yes, we found hope through Abrazo too, after other agencies disqualified me because I was over 40.

Thank you for sharing your experience! smile.gif

• 6 months later...

Welcome to the forum!

If I remember correctly (it's been more than 4 years for us), all you need is a letter from your doctor. Hope this helps!

Susan

HI, welcome to the forum. I called my gyn's office and they wrote a letter stating my infertility, I think. I never saw the letter, but I do remember talking to the nurse and asking her to take care of this.

You might also want to check out the Topic Infertility Qualifications, it is currently on page 3 in the looking to adopt section. Not sure it that topic will anser your question, but I know Elizabeth posted a response or two in that topic. I remrmber reading it when I was trying to determine exaclty what the infertility qualifications were.

Hope this helps

Beth

Good evening and welcome to the forum! My husband and I just mailed off our application a week ago, so the infertility letter is still fresh in my mind.

I called my gynecologist's office and asked to speak to one of her nurses. I told her that my husband and I were adopting, and we needed a letter from my doctor.

My doctor typed up a nice note stating that she has been my gyn. since 2001. She also stated that she was the one that diagnosed me as being infertile. I had the Dr. office mail me the letter ASAP. That was easier then driving approx. 45 minutes (one way to her office) to pick it up. As we all know most doctors are very busy and occassionally they may "drop the ball". I knew taking the time to type up a letter for me was not at the top of their priority list, but it was at the top of mine! smile.gif I figured "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" and called them every other day until I had the letter in hand. I also told them from the first call (concerning the infertility letter) that my adoption paperwork could not be mailed off until I had that letter in hand. That seemed to prompt them to do it a little faster as well.

I made a copy of the letter from my doctor (as well as all of my other documents) before mailing my application off. I just wanted to make sure if anything ever happened (in the mail) that I had a back up copy of everything.

Hope this helps. Again, welcome to the forum! I have found it so helpful in chatting with others that are/have been in my shoes. I look forward everyday to logging on and seeing what is new!

Keep us posted on how things are going. Are you all coming to the March orientation? My husband and I are attending that one.

Sincerely,

Elaine

Elaine,

I'm excited for you and your husband!! I can remember orientation weekend like yesterday!! It was an awesome experience!! Plus we had a blast!! Have a wonderful trip in march!!

Tera

Good evening and welcome to the forum!  My husband and I just mailed off our application a week ago, so the infertility letter is still fresh in my mind. 

I called my gynecologist's office and asked to speak to one of her nurses.  I told her that my husband and I were adopting, and we needed a letter from my doctor. 

My doctor typed up a nice note stating that she has been my gyn. since 2001.  She also stated that she was the one that diagnosed me as being infertile.  I had the Dr. office mail me the letter ASAP.  That was easier then driving approx. 45 minutes (one way to her office) to pick it up.  As we all know most doctors are very busy and occassionally they may "drop the ball".  I knew taking the time to type up a letter for me was not at the top of their priority list, but it was at the top of mine!  smile.gif    I figured "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" and called them every other day until I had the letter in hand.  I also told them from the first call (concerning the infertility letter) that my adoption paperwork could not be mailed off until I had that letter in hand.  That seemed to prompt them to do it a little faster as well.

I made a copy of the letter from my doctor (as well as all of my other documents) before mailing my application off.  I just wanted to make sure if anything ever happened (in the mail) that I had a back up copy of everything.

Hope this helps.  Again, welcome to the forum!  I have found it so helpful in chatting with others that are/have been in my shoes.  I look forward everyday to logging on and seeing what is new! 

Keep us posted on how things are going.  Are you all coming to the March orientation?  My husband and I are attending that one.

Sincerely,

Elaine

13690[/snapback]

Thanks everyone!!!

I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow hopefully I will get the necessary info from him then.

We have not yet submitted our application so I do not think I will be able to get into the March orientation perhaps the following one.

Thanks again

Edited by mkbourdage

Since I'm a beginner, I just got my infertility letter last month. I called my Dr. who treated me for my last 2 ectopic pregnancies. Since he knows my medical history well, he didn't take long to write a letter regarding my infertility. I just picked it up at the office and included it with our inquiry to Abrazo.

Glad to reply,

Claudia

• 1 month later...

sad.gif Just sent our inquiry. Just a little worried if we are qualified. My wife and I have been having trouble having kids. We have been through 3 miscariages in the last 2 years and have gone to the fertility clinic. I was diagnosed with a low sperm count. We have also tried artificial insemenation three times without a positive result. I am 36 and my wife is 39. I have always wanted to be a Father. I was also adopted and realize how much of a special event this will be. Just a little worried that we will not be considered inferitile. What constitutes as infertility?

Albert

Hello, Albert, and welcome to the Forum,

My husband had the same situation and I had my own difficulties. After 6 months of failed fertility treatments, we turned to Abrazo and were accepted. We are about to finalize our 2nd adoption through Abrazo. I'm 34 and Patrick is 39.

Congratulations on your new journey! It will be a wild and crazy ride. We went to orientation and 3 months afterwards we were parents the first go around and the 2nd time it was about 2 1/2 months.

Put it in God's hands. This is a time your faith will be tested and strengthened, and REWARDED!

Kristy

I didn't realize that it could happen so quick. One can only pray that the process will be that smooth for my wife and I. It became a sad situation after our first miscariage. We had allready turned a room in our house into a baby room. Purchased the crib, bedding, even some unisex baby clothing. Only to find out that we lost our baby. It happened two more times after that. Hopefully it wont be long before I can put that room to good use.

Thank you for responding.

Albert