NEW PARENTS NEEDED!

Stork Central

You are right, Teresa.  That is what makes open adoption so cool.  A real fit between both families is the goal.  Abrazo has an advantage, though.  They know the moms that they are working with and their "requirements"  and they also know the intake or informal calls they've had with expectant moms and what they are looking for.  Because of this, Abrazo knows the families that will be needed for possible future placements and they "shop", if you will, for a pool of potential adoptive parents that will fill the bill.  I hope this is coming out right.  In the end, I believe every family will place if they stay the course.  Not if, but when.  The perspectives that you have are very positive and right on.  You never know when you'll receive the call that changes your life forever!
Thanks! Since I'm one of the older adopting moms, your words are reminders to me what I know, but might not feel every day. A real fit between both families is the goal. Thanks again.

Teresa

I just sent a couple from California your way! Hope you can accept them in the program.

Thank you, all!! At present, we are able to consider very few families with-children-already (unless they're AbrazoAgainers and/or people with very open preferences regarding age and race of the child/ren they desire), in order to focus our efforts on placements for the folks we already have onboard! but we continue to need childless couples so we appreciate your loyal referrals!!

We've had a very ODD thing happening - just had it happen again yesterday. Ever since we brought Collin home people keep asking us "well it will be easier to adopt another one now that we have one right?" Since I did not know any childless couples pursuing adoption in Oregon it certainly felt like that sometimes - that againers had better luck than first timers - but again I only knew againers here. Is the preference for childless regional at all? Or particular to any socio/economic groups or ethniticies?

Suzi - I know with transracial adoptions, especially AA, many parents feel comforted by a child already being in the home if they are also of the same race (for example an AA child already in the home). That is what I heard though, I'm sure Elizabeth or someone might know more.

I wasn't closed to the idea of a childless couple, but I realized I wanted a family that had "been there" once I started looking at the profiles. It helped me to see how Angie and Wade parented their older boys, and to know that they already had kids that were turning out fine. I know that not all parents considering placing feel that way, it always seemed to me like most of the other women wanted to give someone the chance to be a first time parent or wanted the exclusive attention of being an only child (however temporary) for their baby. I always assumed it was just one of those preferences that people have, but it would be really neat to know if that does link to something. I wonder if there are any kind of polls or studies about this.

I wasn't closed to the idea of a childless couple, but I realized I wanted a family that had "been there" once I started looking at the profiles. It helped me to see how Angie and Wade parented their older boys, and to know that they already had kids that were turning out fine. I know that not all parents considering placing feel that way, it always seemed to me like most of the other women wanted to give someone the chance to be a first time parent or wanted the exclusive attention of being an only child (however temporary) for their baby. I always assumed it was just one of those preferences that people have, but it would be really neat to know if that does link to something. I wonder if there are any kind of polls or studies about this.

Thanks Kristal! As the mother to a 4 year old daughter and an Abrazo "PIW , it's encouraging to know we will be the "right" family for someone!

Faith

Edited by vanfam

Faith,

Your feelings are those that many of us have faced. I am Mom to Dante, now approaching 4 and Nicole, just shy of 2. We were a childless couple when we came to Abrazo, but returned to adopt a second time. The wait was not long for either, but I know it can be. I truly believe not only in faith, but by seeing that the quote "not if, but when" is certainly true. Keep an open mind and heart and your child will be in your arms before you know it. When we place less restrictions on adoption, our profiles are so much easier to be shown and birthmothers have more parents to consider for their child.

Hope this helps,

Claudia

Hello everyone, I'm new here. My husband and I are very excited to work with Abrazo and have sent in our pre-application in hopes of being invited to an orientation soon (we are childless and have very open racial preferences). Is there any word as to what weekend the April orientation might be? Thanks!

Welcome to Abrazo Felicia :D

Hello everyone, I'm new here. My husband and I are very excited to work with Abrazo and have sent in our pre-application in hopes of being invited to an orientation soon (we are childless and have very open racial preferences). Is there any word as to what weekend the April orientation might be? Thanks!

Welcome!! Hold on tight because it's a wild ride!! :)

My husband and I sent our initial application in on March 23. We are excited about our new journey and are ready to get the process going. We are childless and ready to be parents. Looking forward to meeting others going through the same feelings that we are. It is hard to stay patient.

Welcome Felicia and Leslie, you have come to a wonderful place full of support and love.

Tracey

Welcome Felicia and Leslie!!! :)

Heather

Welcome to the forum! It's full of great information as well as wonderful people to support you along the way!

Welcome to Abrazo Leslie.... :D

Felicia and Leslie....Welcome! You'll find that Abrazo is a wonder organziation with the most dedicated folks around! And this community is so helpful and warm.

We look forward to hearing about your journeys!

Take care~Nora

Welcome ladies to Abrazo here's to hoping your journey with abrazo is underway in no time!

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Is this "NEED FOR CHILDLESS COUPLES" a result of birthmother requests? Wow. I guess we're just surprised if that's the case. We just mailed our inquiry app to Abrazo this week-we have 3 boys under eight, one is adopted. Danielle (his birth mother) was really glad to find a family where he would have siblings. I guess we didn't anticipate that in the future, already being parents would become an issue for us in the adoption process. We certainly have the love, the financial security, and the desire to have another baby come into our home.

Yet we also understand that the birthparents need to be at complete ease with the adoptive family they choose.

Abrazo gals--if you are listening, we would still like the chance!

Matt and Melinda from MT

Is this "NEED FOR CHILDLESS COUPLES" a result of birthmother requests? Wow. I guess we're just surprised if that's the case. We just mailed our inquiry app to Abrazo this week-we have 3 boys under eight, one is adopted. Danielle (his birth mother) was really glad to find a family where he would have siblings. I guess we didn't anticipate that in the future, already being parents would become an issue for us in the adoption process. We certainly have the love, the financial security, and the desire to have another baby come into our home.

Yet we also understand that the birthparents need to be at complete ease with the adoptive family they choose.

Abrazo gals--if you are listening, we would still like the chance!

Matt and Melinda from MT

YEAH your first post!!!!! Let me just publically welcome our friends matt & melinda from Montana!!! We are so excited to have you join the abrazo forum. I am just so excited to introduce you to everyone here on the forum. Abrazo chicks if you are listening ... this is one awesome family!

Edited by suziandben

Is this "NEED FOR CHILDLESS COUPLES" a result of birthmother requests?

Matt and Melinda from MT

I can only offer what I understand...as a general "rule" birthmoms tend to favor families that don't already have children. It's not because they want they're child to be an only child, just possibly the first child. We are one of the waiting families that already have a child - and we haven't had many phone calls from interested birthmoms. (I really hope that it's not because our profile stinks!) Elizabeth did tell us that "It will happen" but for most families that are already raising children it tends to take longer to be matched. There was a post in the "New parents needed" thread that talked a little more about the reasoning.

Faith

Although childless couples may be "preferred," there are always unique situations that arise.

When we were PIW, we spoke with a couple who were expecting their 4th child. Due to a disabling injury the birthfather had suffered, they were not able to care for another child. While they "liked" us, they wanted to place their baby in a family who already had children at home, because they didn't want him/her to miss out on the sibling experience. So, in this particular case, our being childless did not meet this couple's needs.

It really all depends how "open" you are. If you are open to children of color, children older than a year or toddler age, children with disabilities, or sibling groups, Abrazo may be able to hold your paperwork "in reserve" for just such an opportunity.