October 2016 Orientation Weekend

Judy

Hello all, 

My husband and I are new to Abrazo.  We plan on attending the Orientation Weekend next month but have not purchased plane tickets yet.  I was wondering if anyone has anymore information about the weekend and any advice on where to stay, etc.  

1 hour ago, Judy said:

Hello all, 

My husband and I are new to Abrazo.  We plan on attending the Orientation Weekend next month but have not purchased plane tickets yet.  I was wondering if anyone has anymore information about the weekend and any advice on where to stay, etc.  

Welcome!

When we attended the orientation it was at the Abrazo office. Not too sure if it is still held there. I would ask and then find out if they have any deals with the local hotels close to where the orientation will be held at. They used to have a deal with a couple of local hotels that helped with the rate.

If they do not have any special deals, I would ask the local hotels if they will give a discount. If you tell them why you are there, they are pretty open to giving discounts.

When we went for finalization we stayed at the Home2Suites by Hilton. They waved the parking fees and I believe took off $20 a night. It is always worth asking.

Good Luck!

Leah

FYI - Also, be sure to keep all of your receipts for tax reasons.

Plan on staying from Friday until Sunday.  If you are from out of state and have not had your fingerprints taken in Texas then if you arrive early enough, you can get them scheduled and handled.  We attended orientation a year ago and they had us stay at a particular hotel where we held the orientation.  Leah is right, check with Abrazo.  They will give you guidance.  Welcome.  Myra

Lots of great guidance here! My husband and I attended the February 2016 orientation weekend. There was a recommended hotel that was very nice that offered a discounted rate. It was nice that we where all staying in the same place; quick and easy plus it gave us more time to bond with our group. It was a wonderful weekend full of amazing memories and the start of life long friendships. Your group along with other abrazo alumni will quickly become your go to for questions and support. Abrazo has a great program and offers lots of support and guidance. Fear not my friend you are in good hands. We arrived Thursday evening that way we could see some sights and get our fingerprints on Friday before our first get together. Congratulations on moving forward on this amazing journey!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd stay in the hotel where the orientation will be (if that is how it's being run this time). But it's worth staying in San Antonio for a day or two extra to get a feel of the place if you can. Both of our children were born in San Antonio so it's good to have a sense of the city. If you've never been, the Riverwalk is a great place to stay because you can walk around and get a sense of the culture of the city. The Pearl District and King Williams District are fun places to walk around. Definitely get some barbeque and some Mexican food. The tortillas in San Antonio are amazing!

Welcome to the Abrazo family and feel free to ask any questions here. There's always someone willing to chime in!