Adoption Book Club

I am certain this topic already exists or one similar but after spending 10 minutes trying to find it I've given up. If this is a duplicate, please feel free to post a link to it here and I'll pick up on that one instead.

Anyway, I have quite a collection of Adoption Books and wanted to list them here and thought this could be a good place to comment/discuss the books. Sadly, it's been awhile since I've read most of them so maybe this will motivate me to go back through them and have a refresher. Some of them may not be the best books but for one reason or another, I have them in my collection. I'd love input from anyone/everyone (Elizabeth, pretty please would love some of your input in your "spare" time) and would especially love to see others reading lists. For those I remember well, I'm commenting a bit but just because I don't comment, doesn't mean I don't recommend a book, it just means I need a refresher.

Here goes:

The Adoption Life Cycle - The Children & Their Families Through the Years by Elinor Rosenberg

Arms Wide Open - An Insight into Open Adoption by Jane Waters

Birthmothers - Women Who Have Relinquished Babies for Adoption & Their Stories by Merry Bloch Jones

I bought this book soon after placing Joanna for adoption - at the time, it was the only book on adoption I could find.

Birthright - The Guide to Search & Reunion for Adoptees, Birthparents, & Adoptive Parents by Jean A.S. Strauss

Children of Open Adoption - Kathleen Silber & Patricia Martinez Dorner

(LOVE this book!!! Highly recommend)

Dear Birthmother by Kathleen Silber

A must, right?

The Family of Adoption by Joyce Maguire Pavao

(love this book)

How It Feels to be Adopted by Jill Krementz

This is another book I bought a long time ago when trying to understand my own placement and how my daughter (who I placed for adoption) may grow up feeling.

How To Open An Adoption - A Guide for Parents & Birthparents of Minors by Patricia Martinez Dorner

I Choose This Day by Sharon Fieker

My Child is a Mother - A True and Happy to Story of Open Adoption by Mary Stephenson

I LOVE this book! It is a quick read and very good!!

The Open Adoption Experience - A Complete Guide for Adoptive and Birth Families - From Making the Decision Through The Child's Growing Years by Lois Ruskai Melina & Sharon Kaplan Roszia

(LOVE this book!!! Highly recommend!!!)

Perspectives on a Grafted Tree - Thoughts for Those Touched by Adoption by Patricia Irwin Johnston

I'm ashamed to say this but this was a gift to me from someone who adopted through Gladney and I haven't read it (yet) because I worry that it may have a Gladney spin on it.

Raising Adopted Children - Practical Reassuring Advice for Every Adoptive Parent by Lois Ruskai Melina

(Also love this book!!)

The Same Smile by Susan Mello Souza

I LOVE this book!!! One of my favorites....

The Spirit of Open Adoption by James L Gritter

Stories of Adoption by Eric Blau

The Stranger Who Bore Me - Adoptee Birthmother Relationships by Karen March

This book is a little too technical for leisure reading and for what I was looking for.

Telling the Truth to Your Adopted or Foster Child - Making Sense of the Past by Betsy Keefer & Jayne E. Schooler

Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew by Sherrie Eldridge

I read this book (or tried to) when we started the process to adopt Kayleigh which was before I found Joanna (the daughter I placed for adoption who at the time would have been around 14/15) I couldn't read it because I remember all I could think about was whether or not Joanna felt that way? It was hard as a birthmother to read the book and I can't even remember what it said...anyway, I should pick it up again and give it a try now that I've found Joanna and my kids are getting older and see what nuggets of wisdom/enlightenment I can get from it.

Waiting to Forget - A Motherhood Lost and Found by Margaret Moorman

I haven't read this yet...

• Upvote 1

Lisa,

Thanks for putting this out there! I would also love a list of children's books. I forget to write them down and then have no idea where to find them on the forum. I'm looking for books for my AA boy too.

Heather :)

• Upvote 1

Heidi K recommended a few good books for her sons (both AA). It was probably 2 - 3 yrs ago? I'll try to find it on here and quote it to move it here or maybe she can repost (or has others to recommend).

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone!

I am interested in purchasing a few books on adoption for my niece (four years old) and nephews (two/three years old)... I'd ideally like something that introduces adoption in an age-appropriate manner, but that isn't geared toward children who were adopted.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Sara

Hi everyone!

I am interested in purchasing a few books on adoption for my niece (four years old) and nephews (two/three years old)... I'd ideally like something that introduces adoption in an age-appropriate manner, but that isn't geared toward children who were adopted.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Sara

I have searched for some books like this but no joy. Hopefully, someone on the forum can point us in the right direction.

We are very close to our nephews. We took our nephews to go see Kung Fu Panda 2 and started a dialogue with them about the adoption theme that was in the movie. They were 4 at the time and they did not ask too many questions.

But I think by speaking with them about Adoption before we were blessed with Alexander really helped them understand that their new cousin was a part of our/their family.

They adore their new cousin. Every time they come visit they bring him a book. It is so cute.

Edited by TexasFamily