A Birth Grandmother's Role

It is a great daily devotional tool… They also have one for kids, with language suited for them.. I think it’s ages 7 or 8 and up.. But hey as smart as kiddos are these days I’m sure younger ones wouldn’t have a problem understanding most of it.

My co-worker actually has the kids' version on her desk and we read that one sometimes... I like how it gets the message across. Even for an adult, it's just easier to digest sometimes!

Good to know Melissa. I have the "adult" version and have been thinking about ordering the kids' version to read with the kids at breakfast in the morning.

• 3 weeks later...

You too Mari :)

To my daughter, Ellie, Mandi, Amber, Maria, Jessica, and all the BRAVE women that put their child’s life and needs wrapped in an immeasurable amount of love before their own.. Hugs to you all..

“In the very same second I can be Brave and Scared”

Brene Brown

• Upvote 1

Mari - I'm so glad you were able to attend orientation! I'll admit I'm a little jealous of those who got to hear from you (and all the wonderful moms) and hear your story in person. I am so glad we got to meet in December and so glad you are here on the forum but how special to hear your story at orientation!

I agree, you and Lauranda spoke to our orientation group in June 2009 and along with the other first moms and dad that spoke made such a lasting impression on why it is so important to keep the relationships open for our children. Thank you for everything you do here on the forum!!

Thank you ladies and princess Naomi, yal are so sweet..

My main role as a mom to a first mom is to support, protect, be there for her and love her unconditionally :wub: . As a first-grandma, it’s to love, help protect, SPOIL, and be there for my angel girl :wub: . As an extended member of adoption it’s to embrace, support and love my angel girl’s family :wub: . As a member of the forum and Abrazo, it is to be here as best I can for all on this journey, offer what I can and LEARN as much from everyone else as I can. :wub: .... I have learned so much from all (still want more>>>as my daughter's favorite AT & T commercial with the little girl whose voice reminds her of her daughter :rolleyes: says ), I hope in some small way I have provided some encouragement, help, support, and a hand in friendship to people I have had the blessing and opportunity to touch/be touched by through Abrazo.

Wishing all of you a wonderful day..

Viva Fiesta in SA!!!!!

As a first-grandma, it’s to love, help protect, SPOIL, and be there for my angel girl :wub: .

Love this, sounds like a good grandmother!! :)

You do add so much to this community and I am so thankful for your involvement! :wub:

Mari, You are a blessing to us ALL.

• Upvote 1

Our town is a party town… but nothing beats FIESTA… I finished decorating hats for “the girls” for our night parade outing. Last year we decorated t-shirts. Will have to see what is in store for next year..

For all those venturing out for Fiesta events, you guys be safe and careful.. Have FUN!!!!!

Thank you ladies and princess Naomi, yal are so sweet..

My main role as a mom to a first mom is to support, protect, be there for her and love her unconditionally :wub: . As a first-grandma, it’s to love, help protect, SPOIL, and be there for my angel girl :wub: . As an extended member of adoption it’s to embrace, support and love my angel girl’s family :wub: . As a member of the forum and Abrazo, it is to be here as best I can for all on this journey, offer what I can and LEARN as much from everyone else as I can. :wub: .... I have learned so much from all (still want more>>>as my daughter's favorite AT & T commercial with the little girl whose voice reminds her of her daughter :rolleyes: says ), I hope in some small way I have provided some encouragement, help, support, and a hand in friendship to people I have had the blessing and opportunity to touch/be touched by through Abrazo.

Wishing all of you a wonderful day..

Viva Fiesta in SA!!!!!

Mari,

It was wonderful to meet you and Lauranda! I was so touched by your story, and it brought up painful and HAPPY memories from 17 years ago.

In fact, a few days after orientation I had a chance to sit down with my mom, and tell her how I met someone that reminded me of her.

Lauranda is very blessed to have such a strong mother in her life!

Thank you Jess, sounds like your mom and I are kindred spirits, maybe someday we’ll be blessed enough to meet.

Thank you for sharing your story, I felt so honored to hear it.. As you spoke I thought of my daughter and tried to picture where she will be in several years, you are doing exactly what she has had her heart set on doing to help other expectant/first moms and I think you would be an awesome mentor for her down the line.

I think your mom and I are BLESSED to have SUCH STRONG and SELFLESS DAUGHTERS

Have a great weekend…

ps...

And THANK YOU for what you do and the difference you make!!!!

I would be honored to be her mentor one day! It took me a really long time to get to where I am now, and I know she still has a lot of living to do;) In fact, at 33 years old I have finally found myself in a career I can be proud of, and enjoy going to work every day!

Thank you for your kind words!

• 2 weeks later...

Put this on Premie Club...thought I would add here also..

San Antonio Families… (not sure this is happening anywhere else)

Caught this on the news… Way to help support PREMATURE BABES.. Thought would pass along in case someone is interested….

My daughter and I are having dinner out at Chili’s tonight… In honor of my grandbaby who was a premie!!

There's another way to support the March of Dimes effort to raise money for premature babies.On Wednesday May 8, Chili's restaurants will give 10 percent of the proceeds of every meal and drink sold where the March of Dimes is mentioned to the cause of premature babies.

Happy Mother’s Day to all mamas and grandmas …Wishing each a day full of God’s love and peace… :wub:

“As Mothers, we have no idea how those seeds of love and caring will impact a young life! We must remember that we should not grow weary in our well-doing, because sometime down the road, (as the bible says) “in due season,” we will be reaping a harvest! No day is wasted when it is spent with our children! Don’t give up! Don’t get discouraged…today may impact a life forever!”

Author unknown

Happy Mother’s Day to all mamas and grandmas …Wishing each a day full of God’s love and peace… :wub:

“As Mothers, we have no idea how those seeds of love and caring will impact a young life! We must remember that we should not grow weary in our well-doing, because sometime down the road, (as the bible says) “in due season,” we will be reaping a harvest! No day is wasted when it is spent with our children! Don’t give up! Don’t get discouraged…today may impact a life forever!”

Author unknown

Happy Mother/Grandmother's Day to you too Mari!

Thanks for sharing this thought with us. While most of us yearned to be mothers for many years, the reality of mothering can sometimes make you weary. What a great reminder that what we do--even the mundane, unnoticed and unappreciated things--makes a difference!

So yesterday I HAD TO ATTEND an all day spiritual retreat for work… The reason I say HAD TO, was because I didn’t have a choice, had I had one, I would have chosen not to go and head to the office.. I just kept thinking of the all the things I had at work and the two projects I need to finish this week. So I was thinking of the retreat as a waste of time for me because I HAD MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO with my time.

I spent probably the first hour thinking of ALL THESE THINGS.. Until we got to our speaker, whose first topic to talk about was FAITH our FAITH, this made my ears perk up and I also felt myself sit back and relax in my chair, at first wondering where exactly this talk would take me internally, since the first part was about people having faith, moving away from faith, then finding their way back.. Well, this didn’t apply to me because I haven’t lost my faith, didn’t need to find my way back to it, and It wasn’t not having a relationship with God, I talk to him multiple times a day. So what else was hidden here within this topic that made me want to PAY ATTENTION? We got to the topic of sometimes feeling dry inside, even though we have strong faith, we sometimes DON’T give ourselves time to recharge our own spiritual batteries, we are so worried, busy, concerned, attending to our families, our jobs, all the things that are happening around us, we forget about US..

I suddenly realized that was how my morning had started.. Thinking of the things pending at work, thinking of the stress my daughter was going through (and putting me through) studying for finales she has been having this week, thinking of every Monday that I have been off for the last several weeks having one doctor appointment or another, etc. etc. etc….. I was feeling dry inside, but I didn’t know that’s what it was or that it had a name.. As we sat there and our speaker told the story of the Samaritan Woman and meeting Jesus at the well, I closed my eyes and just pictured in my head the story as our speaker spoke, I could see it, I could feel what she must have been feeling, and then at the point where Jesus spoke to her, I felt an odd warmth trickle through my body almost as if I was now sitting in the warmth of the sun and it was warming as it was going through my veins, things behind my eye lids felt as if a light had been turned on.. I opened my eyes quickly kinda wondering if maybe the sun had fill the room all of a sudden a little brighter, but no, found the room was just as it had been before I closed my eyes, and even though it was a different/strange feel it was also a very peaceful feeling.

Needless to say, I enjoyed the rest of the topics, the meditations and reflections, the projects that we each had to do on our own.. Some I found easy, some I found VERY hard, but I will continue to work on them to allow me time to focus on me (the inner me) at least a few minutes a day.. Over all wonderful day..

Study for more finales as they continue today and tomorrow.. Appreciate a prayer or two being sent my daughter’s way, both for her studies and also for reduction in her level of stress (which will work also to lower my stress in seeing her stress :blink: )

What a wonderful post. I find often that I'm more concerned about everything and everyone around me than I am for myself. I try often to change that but it is hard.

My Mom asked me on Mother's day to work on this. She said she was concerned for me because the last few months at work have been crazy and she knows that I'm feeling overwhelmed.

I'm sending prayers to you and your daugther. Please let us know how her finals go.

Leah x

Sending prayers for Lauranda and for you, Mari. What a wonderful reminder that we all need to take some time to really relax and take care of ourselves in our quest to take care of others.

Thank you ladies for the prayers and good thoughts for Lauranda :wub: (me too :) ) SO appreciate this.. Studying/retaining is so rough when you're dealing with short term memory loss..

Two down and one to go today..... I will be so glad when noon comes around and I KNOW she will also...

Oh, and I failed :( already with my daily spiritual exercises, was toooo tired after a looooonnnnngggg evening of helping my girl study....But can't let things creep in anymore...NEED TO MAKE TIME!!! (my reminder on my phone set to a good peaceful melody) I only hope this works :D