A Birth Grandmother's Role

Loved getting to see the photos from your visit, Mari! They always bring such a huge smile to my face because there is no doubt how loved Sloane is (and no doubt she knows it!)

I am beaming with a huge smile as I see the pictures of Sloan surrounded by so many people who love her!! Thank you for posting them. You remind us all of how good an open adoption truly can be!

Thank you for update about Lauranda and her clean bill of health. That is THE best news!! I know how nerve-wrecking this must have been for all of you and I'm so relieved by this news. I have tell you about a student at my university who graduated a couple of years ago. He has a unique memory situation in which, he cannot remember anything that happened that day, or what he read in the books, etc. He would have to repeatedly read specific books over and over again to eventually absorb the content of the book. But, he did graduate, singled out by the president of the school as one of the most remarkable triumphs at the university. I feel for Lauranda as she struggles with memory loss but she is such a remarkable young lady, full of strength and love, ready to take on the world. I know that her life path will be rich and meaningful!

Awww! I love that you got to see Sloan!!!

Us too.... we so look forward to these times, and we have been so blessed to share special occasions on some of our visits together..

Sweetie, hope your doing well..

Loved getting to see the photos from your visit, Mari! They always bring such a huge smile to my face because there is no doubt how loved Sloane is (and no doubt she knows it!)

Haha...you are so right Melissa...the little stinker knows it and loves ALL the attention..

I am beaming with a huge smile as I see the pictures of Sloan surrounded by so many people who love her!! Thank you for posting them. You remind us all of how good an open adoption truly can be!

Thank you for update about Lauranda and her clean bill of health. That is THE best news!! I know how nerve-wrecking this must have been for all of you and I'm so relieved by this news. I have tell you about a student at my university who graduated a couple of years ago. He has a unique memory situation in which, he cannot remember anything that happened that day, or what he read in the books, etc. He would have to repeatedly read specific books over and over again to eventually absorb the content of the book. But, he did graduate, singled out by the president of the school as one of the most remarkable triumphs at the university. I feel for Lauranda as she struggles with memory loss but she is such a remarkable young lady, full of strength and love, ready to take on the world. I know that her life path will be rich and meaningful!

Oh yes… I know the feeling of having to do, hear, read, etc. etc. etc. (many things) repetitively to be able to retain at least a little bit of the info. Congrats to student and what a wonderful way they honor his hard work and dedication.. I’m sure it was extra special for him to be singled out this way, he probably just wanted to graduate.. I hear this from Lauranda a lot.. (“I just want to remember enough to pass this test, course, etc.) When it comes to classes that require a LOT of reading and remembering dates, events etc.. Like this semester that she is taking History, Geography and Economics… I feel like I’m in school also, because I am the person at home that reads with her, helps her study, talk about what she needs to remember and try to find ways together to help her remember certain definitions, events and what not.

I agree - The pictures are such a testament to how wonderful open adoption is! I love them all!

Beth, you and Airi expressed it wonderfully... We have been truly blessed to be able to continue to build and grow within open adoption. Watching my precious girls together makes my heart expand in an unimaginable way. On visits, several times throughout I find myself enjoying sitting and (with camera in hand most times ^_^) watching them and I am taking in each moment. I also love watching my grand-baby interact with all her family, it is so special to see how much love surrounds her and how much she loves she person who surrounds her. :wub:

I know we are not the only extended family here, and I truly hope that each family that has embraced open adoption finds within their own family/families the many blessings they are giving the special child they surround. I would really love to hear more about these families and see more pictures of these special times. I am sure though each has their reason why don’t share, privacy, etc.. Totally understand… This is the only place I put any pictures of my granddaughter and her ap/af (of which has been ok’d by her ap’s).. On my fb I do have us/her, but it’s not a place where I discuss anything to do with adoption when it comes to neither her nor her family… Not all on my friends/family listed know and frankly I feel no need to share with all.. Those that do know and there are quite a bit of them respect this and don’t mention adoption either. Not sure if this makes sense to anyone else but me.. :rolleyes:

Yeah…I would definitely be a bear during winter if I lived where all this snow and blizzards are pounding.. I would stock up for the winter in late fall and hibernate for the winter months.. :wacko:

Saw the pictures you posted & I must say that your granddaughter is beautiful!(:

Thank you sweetie, your friend over here said thank you also and that she TOTALLY AGREES!! :D

Have you ever had one of THOSE days where you just get to the point you want to scream, pull your hair out, or down right smack something (I didn’t say someone)… Mine was yesterday…. Though I’ve gotten pretty good at letting many things roll off the back in the last 4 + yrs (forced/pushed, eye opener, into understanding what is important in life and what I can fufu off :wacko: )…And over the last 8 yrs or so learned (still work in progress) to pick my battles… Yesterday my entire being was just weighed down with this negative energy that I couldn’t shake :blink: .. I’m just tired of picking up the slack for other people, watching them do a half A*# job and listening to them talk about how much they do and how tired they are.. Wanting to just tell them …that yep the days can be pretty long and tiring when you just sit on your kister and don’t do much :angry: …. Then I get a text late last night asking if everything is ok because I was “very quiet today”….Umm, actually it was best to be that way… this person I’m sure didn’t realize that this was the better choice (to detach) then how I could have been..... Today will be a better day I just know it ( :huh:)!!!!

Hoping today is indeed a better day for you Mari!

Good for you for holding your tongue, even though I'm sure it wasn't easy. People can be so maddening!

Hoping today is indeed a better day for you Mari!

Good for you for holding your tongue, even though I'm sure it wasn't easy. People can be so maddening!

Lol… Thank you… bite my tongue more then hold (sore now :lol: ) …. I’m good, just had one of those days from he&*…

For all of us who may need a little something extra today……….

“I AM WITH YOU AND FOR YOU. You face nothing alone –nothing! When you feel anxious , know that you are focusing on the visual world and leaving Me out of the picture. The remedy is simple: Fix your eyes not on what is seen but on what is unseen. Verbalize your trust in Me, The living One who sees you always. I will get you safely through this day and all your days. But you can find Me only in the present. Each day is a precious gift from My Father. How ridiculous to grasp for future gifts when day’s is set before you! Receive today’s gifts gratefully, unwrapping it tenderly and exploring its depths. As you savor this gift, you find Me.”

Sarah Young (Jesus Calling 2004)

For all of us who may need a little something extra today……….

“I AM WITH YOU AND FOR YOU. You face nothing alone –nothing! When you feel anxious , know that you are focusing on the visual world and leaving Me out of the picture. The remedy is simple: Fix your eyes not on what is seen but on what is unseen. Verbalize your trust in Me, The living One who sees you always. I will get you safely through this day and all your days. But you can find Me only in the present. Each day is a precious gift from My Father. How ridiculous to grasp for future gifts when day’s is set before you! Receive today’s gifts gratefully, unwrapping it tenderly and exploring its depths. As you savor this gift, you find Me.”

Sarah Young (Jesus Calling 2004)

Thanks Mari, needed this today! :)

Jesus Calling....an amazing book. I read this devo daily!

It is a great daily devotional tool… They also have one for kids, with language suited for them.. I think it’s ages 7 or 8 and up.. But hey as smart as kiddos are these days I’m sure younger ones wouldn’t have a problem understanding most of it.

It is a great daily devotional tool… They also have one for kids, with language suited for them.. I think it’s ages 7 or 8 and up.. But hey as smart as kiddos are these days I’m sure younger ones wouldn’t have a problem understanding most of it.

My co-worker actually has the kids' version on her desk and we read that one sometimes... I like how it gets the message across. Even for an adult, it's just easier to digest sometimes!