A Birth Grandmother's Role

Happy Thanksgiving Mari! I got to meet Lauranda today. She is an amazing woman and I'm sure you're so proud!

Thank you sweetie...I hope you and your little princess had a GREAT one... I was so glad she was able to attend.. worked out with her dad being off so he could take her.. I/we are very proud of her.. she has come a long way and is such a strong person.. I am proud of you and many others who continue to travel this journey with such strength, Heart, courage and determination... Hugs to ya..

Mari, just wanted to let you know that the dessert Lauranda brought on Wednesday was a HUGE hit! Everyone loved it and asked who made it/brought it! So if Lauranda didn't tell her dad that, please pass along the message.

Thank you from her dad.. she did mention it to him.. she also told him someone had asked for the receipe, but due to her short-term memory she couldn't remember who it was, so hopefully who ever it was doesn't think he/she didn't want to share it.. He was thrilled it was enjoyed..

Edited by 1st x grandma

The Road Less Traveled

Author Unknown

How often we must bear the challenges of life;

The endless roller coaster between happiness and sorrow;

The constant ups and downs of daily strife.

And always the question remains .... why?

Life is not an easy road for most;

It twists and turns with many forks in the road,

Although always, and inevitably, we are given a choice ...

Do we turn to the right ... or the left?

Do we take the high road ... or the low road?

Do we take the easy path ... or the difficult one?

Decisions are not easy for those struggling for direction ...

And sometimes the many choices and signs become overwhelming.

While standing at a crossroads in life,

The urge is to take the most comfortable path;

The road with least resistance ...

The shortest or most traveled route.

And yet, if we've been down that comfortable road before;

Have gleaned its lessons in life, and learned from our experiences;

Do we yet again follow the known?

Or does our destiny lie in another direction?

The fear of the road less traveled is tangible and all too real;

It manifests itself in many ways,

And tends to cloud the issues that might otherwise be clear.

It is in these times of confusion,

That we must seek peace and solitude;

Time to contemplate on our life,

Our experiences and our choices past;

Time to look back, and reflect on what we have learned

Without fear or confusion.

For only each of us knows our own personal thoughts;

Our unique past and personal history;

The experiences that brought us to the crossroads we now face.

We can always learn a small degree from others experiences,

And yet ... no one person can walk in our shoes,

Others know not, the trials and tribulations faced in private ...

For each is individual ... unique ... and personal.

And that is why ... while standing at a crossroads,

Only "we" can formulate the decision for ourselves;

The true direction that lies within;

The choices we must deliberate on with clarity and wisdom.

For it is only through personal reflection,

That we can now choose our destiny;

... Our next adventure;

... And the future we will embrace.

Edited by 1st x grandma

Yesterday was a tough day… A coworker who has become a dear friend over the last six years we have worked together found out the day before Thanksgiving her 33 year old daughter has cancer. We spoke a bit rather text over the weekend, me checking on how she was doing….but yesterday face to face……___ I wasn’t sure if to ask her or not how things were going, most of the morning I/we avoided the topic..Finally I decide to just tell her that she had been on my mind and asked her how she was doing and that opened up our dialog. She shared she had me on her mind all weekend, talked about having empathy with someone, but not until you are faced with a similar situation does someone really understand. Sharing her fears, worries, and feelings of inadequacy as a mom not able to make it better, needing to be strong for her daughter and her family yet needing to release emotions somehow. Feelings that she said she knew I could relate to and understand so well, and she wondered how I had gotten through all and still getting through what we had/have going on with my daughter.. All I could tell her was that as women our strength comes through from deep within us when we are in most need.. Although our (hers and mine) strong faith cannot/will not replace our worry it does help carry us through and I knew she would find her strength.

It’s funny, not in haha way but in an awe somehow way that I have had hundreds of online conversations with parents whose teens are dealing with brain tumors, with parents who have lost their warriors to BTs and although these conversations do bring up emotions, it somehow feels different talking to someone face to face feeling the things I had/have felt and trying to keep my own emotions in check……..but I think if we had not been in a work environment we could have both easily cried together and shared our raw emotions.. And this made me realize something about my daughter and some of her feelings..that I can certainly appreciate/understand better now.. Strange how God can communicate with us……………………

Edited by 1st x grandma

Strange how God can communicate with us……………………

Indeed. I know you were likely a huge source of strength for this friend and I'm glad you felt God speaking to you through the conversation as well!

Mari, it is wonderful that you are there for support for your coworker. I have often wondered why I've had to go through certain trials in my life, but it never ceases to amaze me how those very things enable me to reach people who need support and to be able to say "I've been there and know what you are going through." I;m not always happy for the hard times, but I can see how God uses it to connect us with others!

I'm sorry to hear that is happening but as Melissa and Hannah have said glad that you can be there for her.

We found out last night that one of Scott's friends is most likely going to have chemo for testicular cancer. Kinda shocked to hear that...he's 39. You just never know what life is going to throw at you, so finding that inner strength is the best way to cope.

Thank you Melissa, Hannah, Jocelyn,

It is tough at any age but especially when they are young.. She has four sons, her youngest only 10 months old..

My sister-in-law text me today to let me know that my nephew's follow up had gone well and that the cyst/growth removed last week was benign.. It was such a relief, and something that at any other time I would have shared with my friend, but today this news I felt wasn’t the right time to share.

Just a couple of weeks ago I shared with her that one of my cousins who was only 48 had been murdered in Mexico.. We talked about old old emotions that incident brought up due to other events years ago.. That same week she was waiting to hear from her daughter who was getting a biopsy, so when she got a call last week from her daughter with the results, she knew she could release her thoughts and emotions with me, just something we have been able to do and lean on each other. I am so grateful to have her in my life and I am grateful that I can be a support for her.

Jocelyn,

Prayers for Scott’s friend going his way..

Do not look forward to what might happen tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow, and every day. Either He will shield you from suffering, or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it. –Therese Borchard

“Life is a kaleidoscope. Turn your head a different angle and see it a whole new way.”?–Anonymous

Leah,

Your welcome... Hope your day got better and tomorrow looks brighter...

Today my husband and I went Christmas shopping for my daughter’s two Chihuahuas.. I was worried about doing this this year because of our recent loss. Each year she and I go out and find something special for her pets. Two years ago we had already done their Christmas shopping when we found out our/her cocker spaniel would have to be put down. So on the morning of Dec. 10, 2010 we gave her doggie her Christmas presents to enjoy a few snacks before she had to be taken to the vet. Today after dropping my daughter off at school we went and shopped for her doggies, I hope we got the right stuff, she and I had looked at some things a few months back, but I didn’t want her to be sad or having it weigh on her.

Mari, I love to hear that other people buy their pets gifts. We have always given our dogs or cats a little stocking with a new toy or treat in them.

One year we had a dog that just couldn't wait and he tore up his stocking trying to get to his treats, after that we waited until Christmas morning to put their "gifts" out. :o

Mari-

Thanks. My day did get a better, especially when I saw my pumpkin at 4:30.

We decided to not move anything into the new house tonight. We went out out to dinner and then just spent time together. Alexander, Kevin and I danced again this evening. My husband and my son make me laugh constantly. Alexander has learned how to walk in circles while clapping his hands to the music. He cracks me up so much!

I just want to say Thanks for all of your words of wisdom. The comments that you made on Adria and Mark's thread were so poignant.

Mari, I had a light bulb moment today ... How do you pronounce your name? I realized today I know a mari here and I think I have been reading your name wrong as I read.

Mah-dee?

Mari, I love to hear that other people buy their pets gifts. We have always given our dogs or cats a little stocking with a new toy or treat in them.

One year we had a dog that just couldn't wait and he tore up his stocking trying to get to his treats, after that we waited until Christmas morning to put their "gifts" out. :o

We hang stockings for them too, found some really cutie paw stockings a few years back, before that we used regular stockings...mostly they get treats and toys... one year though we HAD :ph34r: to wrap part of their gifts because they all got new beds.....this year part of their gifts will also need to be wrapped, they are getting new food/water bowls and mats..... the one's I got are small, and the cashier said "ah you have cats" I smile and said no, no cats, we have dogs.. She gave me a strange look...must have thought what kind of dog uses such small bowls.. Ha if she only knew!!!...one we have had on a diet for a long time :lol: and the other I think is watching her figure :D , eats bits and pieces at a time.. though we do have to cover up her food when she is done because her big brother will eat anything left unattended.. <_<

Mari-

Thanks. My day did get a better, especially when I saw my pumpkin at 4:30.

We decided to not move anything into the new house tonight. We went out out to dinner and then just spent time together. Alexander, Kevin and I danced again this evening. My husband and my son make me laugh constantly. Alexander has learned how to walk in circles while clapping his hands to the music. He cracks me up so much!

I just want to say Thanks for all of your words of wisdom. The comments that you made on Adria and Mark's thread were so poignant.

Love how your day turned out... Enjoy all those precious moments in life... Hugs to ya..

Mari, I had a light bulb moment today ... How do you pronounce your name? I realized today I know a mari here and I think I have been reading your name wrong as I read.

Mah-dee?

LOL....Suzi as long as you do not pronounce it MARY I am pretty ok with however people pronounce it... but how I say it is pronounced with a spanish sound...if you can say the word ocean in spanish that sounds out the first part mar if you can't then the english sounding is the month of march without the ch ... for the second/last part the i in spanish is pronounced like e so it would be mar e .....You probably were not banking on a spanish lesson :D

Mah-dee?

LOL....Suzi as long as you do not pronounce it MARY I am pretty ok with however people pronounce it... but how I say it is pronounced with a spanish sound...if you can say the word ocean in spanish that sounds out the first part mar if you can't then the english sounding is the month of march without the ch ... for the second/last part the i in spanish is pronounced like e so it would be mar e .....You probably were not banking on a spanish lesson :D

And thought I had it because my friend has a Spanish pronunciation too. :). Actually I might still have gotten it right the d sound might just be gringo-ized r sound. Lol

I know the name perfectly :) .. a few "gringo-ized" friends of mine use that... also something that sounds like I would spell marti or mardi.... if you want to surprise your friend ....just change the d sound to e like the e from eat... and you will have it down pac.. B)

WAIT FOR GOD’S ANSWER

I wait for you, O Lord; you will answer, O Lord my God. Psalm 38:15

"God’s answer is not always immediate. Our heavenly Father may not be forthcoming in His answer to prayer. We wait in our pain, and there seems to be no relief. We wait in our confusion, and our circumstances seem to become more complicated. We wait and wonder what we need to do at work. Indeed, answers from the Almighty may be absent for now, but the faithful wait. We wait for God’s answer because He is the source of our sanity and our security. His goal is to give us everything we need in His timing and in His way. He is not without compassion. He cares immensely by answering our prayers and giving creative solutions to our questions. Pray to Him."

Mari, your verses and quotes are always so relevant to what I'm saying! It's weird! You are so amazing and the Forum is so lucky yo have you!

thank you sweetie... I am so glad you and others find my quotes and verses speaking/relevant to you/them at times.. Not all will mean something to everyone, but once in a while one will jump out and touch you, I wouldn't think of it as weird :ph34r: but more that is was meant to be for you to see -_-