Trips to Texas

aliciaindigo

We are from Glenolden Pa.

How many trips to Texas do we have to make during the Adoption Process? I know we have to go to the Orientation weekend.

Texas law says the birth mom has 60 days to change her mind.Does that mean we have to stay in Texas those 60 days????

Thanks Alicia

Hi Alicia,

With both our children we went to TX for orientation, to visit a few months before birth, at placement and finalization, but we will continue to make visits to TX now that part of hearts live there thanks to our children's birthfamilies.

Not sure about the 60 days, since Abrazo tells people at orientation that birthfamilies can sign the papers after 48 hours if they had a normal delivery not requiring a c-section. After placement we had about a week to wait for clearance to go home.

Texas law says the birth mom has 60 days to change her mind.Does that mean we have to stay in Texas those 60 days????

Thanks Alicia

Texas is a very "adoption friendly" state. The earliest the birthmother/father may sign the relinquishment papers is 48 hours after birth. Once the relinquishment papers are signed, the decision is irrevocable (which means there is no legal option for the birth mom to "change her mind". )

When you attend Orientation, all of your questions will be answered at that time. Abrazo is very thorough about "dotting the i's and crossing the t's" concerning the legal paperwork.

we were in texas for three weeks waiting for clearance after placement of our sweet collin. we are from oregon and we were there over thanksgiving. the amount of time you are there in texas will depend on many things but I think abrazo always says expect about two weeks. our mach was too short to go for a visit beforehand so our trips to texas are... orientation (may 2008) and placement (Nov 2008), finalization later this year...

For both Carter and Chloe, we were in Texas for exactly one week...With Chloe - it was not enough time. It was very hard to say good bye to her birthmother and it was so very nice to have Chloe all to ourselves!!!!!!!!! :D

Hi Alicia! As far as the adoption process visits go, I think as much as possible before and after placement. We only went for placement, as Nichole was a BOG and Nursery Note, so we had not formally entered Abrazo's program prior to that. We were there for just over a week and went back for finalization and we had a visit with Nichole's mom then. We have reservations at Camp Abrazo this year and plan to make a trip to see her mom then, too.

It really depends on what your child's first parents are comfortable with, I think. Some would want a prior visit and contact, some not so much. I hope you find the answers you are looking for...and welcome to the forum!

With our son we went for orientation, placement and then for finalization. Our daughter placement and finalization. Each situation may be different. Since both our children are from Elpaso we will try to plan a visit once a year since they have become our family as well.

As someone previously said, all your questions will be answered at orientation. Good Luck and welcome.

For the adoption process, we went for orientation, a visit to meet our son's birthmom prior to birth, at birth/placement, and then for finalization. Now we visit each other because we're family.

How many trips to Texas do we have to make during the Adoption Process? I know we have to go to the Orientation weekend.

Thanks Alicia

Thank everyone for replying to me. We just recieved our big application in the mail yesterday and we are so excited.We wanted to know how many trips that way we can plan accordinley.Keep the advice coming we need it since are so new to the Adoption process. :D

Edited by aliciaindigo

If you work through Abrazo (or any other agency) the birthmother can sign no earlier than 48 hours after birth. Not sure where the 60 days came from, maybe this is without an agency?

I think the trips will go as following:

-Trip for Orientation (arrive Friday, leave Sunday)

- When you are matched with expectant parent(s) you will come down as much as you can, normally at least once before birth to meet

- For the birth (arrive a few days before is best case), then stay for ICPC (total time is NORMALLY between 1 - 3 weeks from what I have seen, sometimes more)

- Finalization (normally happens between 8 - 9 months, no earlier than 6 months after placement)

- Come back to visit birthfamily (the MOST important part, living our promises!!) :)

Hope this helps, I'm sure the info in your packet will talk more in depth & accurate about this.

Good Luck!!!! How exciting!

Natalie

Edited by Runyan2002

Thanks Alicia

Thank everyone for replying to me. We just recieved our big application in the mail yesterday and we are so excited.We wanted to know how many trips that way we can plan accordinley.Keep the advice coming we need it since are so new to the Adoption process. :D

You have come to the right place for advice! We are so very happy to share our experiences with others...but no two journeys are alike...so just know that none of us have experienced exactly what you will...and y ou will get to share your very special journey with your new forum family!!

We just had lunch with our birthparent today. Check out our story under Joyous Journey forum. We are the Jones Journey link. Great questions....

Thanks Alicia

Hi Alicia,

We lived in Pittsburgh, PA when we went through the adoption process the first time. My husband and I went to Orientation and then returned 2 months later to pick up our son, Ethan. Then Ethan and I came back to San Antonio during the summer to visit with his birthfamily. We all returned that December for finalization. We try to see Ethan's birthfamily at least twice a year because the relationship with them is vital for Ethan and us. We have grown very close to our birthfamily and try to see them as much as possible. Once you meet your birthfamily and grow that relationship the trips to Texas don't seem as daunting. We wish that we had more money and time off to see them more than we do.

About the 60 days, based on all of my investigations, that would only apply to a private adoption (one that you would probably go through an attorney versus an adoption agency. If you go through Abrazo after the 48 hours the birthmother can relinquish her rights and that is irrevocable. The birthfather laws have changed since the adoption of our first son so that is a little more complicated but shouldn't be longer than 30 days after the birth of the baby if they are not married. Hope that helps. Orientation does answer most if not all of your questions and really opens your mind and eyes to open adoption.

Donna

i can only imagine that most of these posts have already answered your question...it really depends on the situation :) i do not have too much to add except "Welcome" We are from West Chester, PA and love hearing about local people finding Abrazo!!!! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Cannot wait to follow your exciting journey :)

i can only imagine that most of these posts have already answered your question...it really depends on the situation :) i do not have too much to add except "Welcome" We are from West Chester, PA and love hearing about local people finding Abrazo!!!! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Cannot wait to follow your exciting journey :)

Hi Kristen,

You live not that far from me. Would you mind sharing your experience with Abrazo with us? :o)

Hi Kristen,

You live not that far from me. Would you mind sharing your experience with Abrazo with us? :P