Compulsory Adoption

Guest cheeringguy

Angela and Audra went out today to visit a juvenile facility at the request of a caseworker there, who said they'd previously referred their cases to another local agency, one that told incarcerees they weren't entitled to know where their babies would be going and wouldn't let them see their infants after delivery. (As if their newborns are any less entitled to the comfort of antepartum contact with or future access to their birthmoms, just because of what they did to get locked up?!) Furthermore, the caseworker mentioned, that agency never had further contact with their mothers, nor provided them any further services (ie., counseling) after relinquishment. As archaic as this seems, it is apparently the norm for many other licensed agencies. My heart goes out to any inmate who must make such difficult decisions under such inhumane circumstances, with adoption "professionals" who do nothing to make the placement experience any less bleak and disempowering than it already is for them! :angry:

Great rehabilitation services. :angry:

Heather

Here's another perspective on compulsory adoption, by one of the "girls that went away": NOT BY CHOICE. I do think that there are similarities and contrasts between the adoptions of children born to women who were compelled by society to place years ago, and those who are currently forced to do so due to governmental influence (be it law enforcement or child protective services) but this does provide a valuable overview of the dynamics of the experience for either.

I read this article, however, Im not quite sure how I feel about it. Parts of it made me angry, parts made me sad, I can only imagine what the author felt as she wrote this!! It was a great story!! Im glad she was able to realize this and wasn't "Paralyzed" by sterotypes of birthmothers from back in the day!

Here are some resources that may be helpful for those who need advice on supporting birthparents who came into their lives via compulsory ("state-facilitated") adoption choices:

Texas State Prison Info Guide."]Texas State Prison Info Guide for Families of Offenders[/url] (gives valuable info on state prison policies about visitation, commissary, mail, etc.)

FightCPS.com (for anyone who thinks that only child-abusing trailer trash-type folks get picked on by Child Protective Services and rightly so, check this site out and think again.)

Knocked Up & Locked Up (expose on pregnant convicts and how many are forced to surrender babies for adoption)

www.forced-adoption.com (it's not just a problem in America, but in the U.K., as well)

The Old Tricks of New Maternity Homes (just one more subtle form of incarceration and compulsory adoption practiced today)

And while we're on the subject, a FL judge is aggravated with delays encountered in getting an incarcerated birthfather on the phone regarding his response to an adoption plan for his 4-year-old son: Why TJ's Adoption Keeps Getting Postponed.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interesting story of compulsory adoptions, out of Toronto: Mothers Who Lost Custody after Other Children Died in their Homes Await Emancipation. What are your thoughts on this? Were authorities wrong to permanently remove the children based on the evidence that was available at the time? or did they do the best they could, under the circumstances?

Im not sure what to think here. I think some laws are rediculous. I can see the removal of the child in the first place however, the law that doesn't allow any recourse in the state of the parent being wrongly accused is what I don't like.

Im glad however, she was able to keep her daughter, but I thought the whole supervisory visits was a little bit of any over kill. And for 11 months!! Thats Crazy!!

I had heard about this pathologist. He inflicted so much harm. Sadly this is happening more and more. Especially when there is financial motivation in some of these areas including the United States. I think it was Tennessee or Kentucky that had this issue. In the U.K., its pretty rampant. In fact, on one of the forums that I am on, the U.K. Representative that is trying to stop these kind of things recently joined. We all thought it was just a fluke but it is him.

What is really sad is that there are folks that should have their children taken. I know that there was two cases in this area recently where it should have happened. One case my daughters knew the boy that died. They were in day care together. In fact, my day care provider was his foster parent. Both of the daughters were taken in that case. I and others suspect that the step father is the one that killed the boy but there is no proof.

• 4 months later...

Another sad twist on the compulsory adoption concept: When an Immigrant Mother (Illegally Adopted) Gets Arrested.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

CLICK HERE to view a photo essay picturing incarcerated parents and their children, from just over the border, in Nuevo Laredo (or read the text, HERE).

It provides a stark look at one alternative to compulsory adoption, in which children are allowed to stay with a parent in lock-up until the age of six... but is this how/where any parent wants their child's earliest memories formed?

Does the value of keeping a parent and child together for that time outweigh any negative impact on the child, do you think?

And how many do you think go on achieve what might be called an "optimal future" afterwards, with this kind of start in life?

Much as I like to believe that everyone has the potential to rise above their circumstances, it's something to think about.

Oh boy - that is so sad and disturbing. The images alone are distressing, but after reading the story about what goes on there I cannot fathom anyone allowing children to stay there . . .

Does the value of keeping a parent and child together for that time outweigh any negative impact on the child, do you think? Not in this case, with the envoriment such as it is. The photo of a little girl who shared a cell with her mother and 4 other inmates illustrates this -- what in the world will that child be exposed to, living in close qurters with those 4 others, and behind bars??

And how many do you think go on achieve what might be called an "optimal future" afterwards, with this kind of start in life? I think the author stated it best when he stated that he didn't really wonder what would become of them . . .

Much as I like to believe that everyone has the potential to rise above their circumstances, it's something to think about. Yes - it's a story that will stick with you.

This is very sad. I know they think keeping a child with parents is important but, the environment is bad for the child. I wonder how many end up in prison as adults? This may be the only life they know!

• 9 months later...

Scary to think that this question even comes up in America, in this day and age... Should a Mother Lose Her Child for Failing to Speak English?

While I think it is preposterous that this woman's child was taken because she didn't speak English, I am more bothered by the fact that tax dollars are continually used dealing with these issues because of undocumented workers coming into the country.

So sad! Social services needs to turn their attention towards the mothers that are neglecting and abusing their children. It would be a different case if the child tested positive for drugs or the mother was already proven to be abusive due to other children being removed! Why not just send the mother and baby back to Mexico? Or better yet teach her English and let her apply for a green card- her baby is a US citizen!

• 1 year later...

The Missouri Supreme Court has ruled in favor of Guatemalan mother Bail Romero, whose child was illegally adopted without her consent when she was picked up in an immigation sting: Fate of 4-Yr-Old Adopted Without Mother's Consent Still in Limbo. I'm all for adoption when it's done the right way and for the right reasons, but it seems evident that this mother did not willingly consent to her child's adoption, and I hail the court for making what I feel is likely an unpopular but appropriate judgement in this incident. (Read the comments following the article, as well, for some interesting, albeit unconfirmed, commentary.)