What made you pick Abrazo?

LuvOurTexan

Melissa and Chris Merritt had a wonderful experience when they adopted their daughter through Abrazo. They are the ones that shared Abrazo with us. And the rest is history! smile.gif

Elaine ...Proud Momma of one Adorable Abrazo Babe!!! tongue.gif

I called different agencies that were listed in the yellow pages. When I spoke with a friend that was a Social Worker, she highly recommended Abrazo. We couldn't be any happier with the Abrazo chicks! laugh.gif

One of my best friends adopted their daughter through Abrazo. West Virginia is a long way from Texas so I also think it was by the Grace of God.

Dana and Glenn Kutz, proud parents of two Abrazo Dudes, recommended Ruth Stratton, major friend of Abrazo and former home study queen, to do the home study for my exhusband and I with another agency. Dana and Ruth renewed their friendship at the second Parents of Tomorrow weekend. Conversation somehow drifted and I became the topic. Ruth told Dana to have me call her, and it was the two of them who encouraged and supported me in my decision to pursue adoption as a single woman. At the time, Ruth was helping Elizabeth with the leadership of the agency, and it wasn't ever in doubt that I would go with Abrazo. Now, three years later I can't imagine having done it any other way. I take any and every opportunity to spread the word about the best agency in the universe. So, in a long winded way, it was Abrazo Alum that enlightened me about Abrazo.

The somewhat quick story...

My sister-in-law has a "stiching" friend who was working with Abrazo and expecting a baby in April. She gave me her number & Paul and I met with them. The next week we called Abrazo and started the paperwork.

We are proud parents of 2 Abrazo babes PLUS made some great friends who, thanks to them, we have our 2 beautiful children. THANK YOU Jenni N!! And Chloe has a great friend - Lucas.

That is how we found Abrazo - all the way from WI!

I saw Abrazo's ad in Adoptive Families Adoption Reference Guide. I called and spoke to Elizabeth, received the agency literature in April of 1994, sent our completed application to attend orientation in July of 1994 and the rest, as they say, is history. The best phone call I ever made! wink.gif

We were told about Abrazo by a friend who knew someone who adopted their son through Abrazo a year earlier. Come to find out Chris went to school with the girl and had known her all his school years. She went on to do our homestudy a month later. Grace Ann was born eight months later!

We had been with an agency in OK for 10 months. Then the person who took my place at my old job adopted from Abrazo in 2 months. When my old boss called me and told me I said find out who that agency is. We called Abrazo in Dec 2003, went to Orientation in Jan 2004 and Shane came home in April 2004.

Our infertility doctor knew another Abrazo family - when we told him we were stopping treatment and going to Russia to adopt, he asked if we specifically wanted to adopt from Russia - we said we were too old (at 39) to adopt here and that even if we could find an agency that would take us, I didn't want to wait 5 years or more for a newborn!

He said he would have the other patient call us - and in the meantime it was an agency called Abrazo in San Antonio -- I called directory assistance and got the number and spoke with Holly before I ever was able to speak with the Abrazo family that lived (lives?) in Dalton, GA.

Went to a Parents of Tomorrow weekend on Feb 21 - one week later we were matched with a birthmom, two weeks to the day later I was holding Kati in my arms!

A friend of my mom's son & daughter-in-law had adopted their son from Abrazo - my mom had been bugging me to talk to Michelle from the time we started our infertility treatments - finally, 4 years later I called her, she told me about Abrazo and how great of an experience they had and how fast it had happened for them and she felt Abrazo had a huge amount of integrity which was really important to us as well.....the day I learned our 2nd IVF attempt didn't work, I found Abrazo's website, visited the forum and almost 6 months to the day from my initial inquiry, we brought home our pride and joy - Kayleigh!!!

• 4 months later...

I found out that I was pregnant and went up to the Karaoke bar where my friend Timo was the host. I told him that I was pregnant and that I was planning to place this child with an adoptive family.

He looked at me and said that it was his daughter's 6th birthday, and that she lived somewhere near Dallas and that she was adopted. He hooked me up with Abrazo the next day.

The rest is history!

biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to Abrazo! I know this is a very nervous and exciting time for you but you have found a place that hopefully you will find comfort from the forum. We started our adoption process this time last year and now we are the proud parents of a very handsome three month old little boy!!! It will be roller coaster but it is worth in the end. We ended 2005 as new parents as well expanding our family with his birthfamily. It is really a beautiful thing!!!

Best of luck!!!

Welcome to a good place.

Our son was born in Lubbock, Texas.

We were member of the May 2005 orientation group, "the PeaBiscuits"

And Hayden was born August 14, 2005.

Best wishes on your journey to parenthood.

Abrazo is an amazing agency full of wonderful people. You will be so happy you found them. I know we were. We started working with Abrazo last November 2004 and have felt the wonderful support of the staff through our entire journey to our daughter who was placed with us on August 29, 2005. They are amazing people who do amazing work.

Abrazo is the best place for support and information that I know of and I adopted my son three years ago! I log into the Forum at least once a day and always receive something positive from the time spent. Abrazo is a close knit family that always welcomes new members! Good luck on your journey and keep us posted!!

• 2 weeks later...

I see you have found Abrazoland! It's the best feeling in the world to know you have others to lean on. Continued best wishes on your journey and feel free to ask us anything and everything you like about our journey thus far.

Dante Christian Paredes was placed with us on June 16, 2005. He will be 7 mo. on January 13.

Claudia

We mailed in our Inquiry, heard from Abrazo a few days later, got the packet and mailed it in 1 week before orientation. There were some in our group that didn't get their stuff mailed in until a few days before. One couple actually was the day before and they have already been placed with a sweet little girl. The Abrazo ladies are wonderful and orientation is great.

• 2 weeks later...

To All Future Orientation Go-ers:

Chip (my hubby) and I just returned from the January orientation, and we are so grateful to have had the experience. The birthmoms who spoke were incredibly courageous, tender and honest. I was humbled and awed by the love they have for their children. The connections we made with the birthmoms and the women of Abrazo were spiritual, and we left with such hope. The fears about "open" adoption were squelched. And we had such fun, too!!

Our suggestion - go with open ears to hear the message and open hearts to embrace the people! You'll leave behind and take with you many gifts! laugh.gif

Laura Taylor

My husband and I were at the January 2006 orientation, part of the connect-the-tots group. This is our second agency as we became less than disenchanted with our first. We were very skeptical at first and after our weekend we are SO HAPPY WITH OUR NEW AGENCY or should I say new friends. The women at Abrazo and so far everyone connected with them have been amazing. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to help you as best I can. Definitely look around thru the forum, I only wish I had read more before I went.

Good luck and get your rest before you start, you will need it. Elisabeth and the other women are not exactly shall we say "wallflowers". :D

My husband and I adopted a beautiful boy named Miles (who is the love of my life) through Abrazo four years ago while living in Memphis. We recently moved to Knoxville to be closer to Grandma. Abrazo is a wonderful agency - filled with compassionate and dedicated folks - there for you when you need them, whether it is a good day or sometimes, a bad day. We feel blessed that we chose an open adoption, we share a special friendship with our birthmother.

Claudia and Brooke Duncan