JUNO- The Movie

MFTMOM

Thanks Bobbi!! But for the record I AM trying to get a copy of it to watch!! (BTW is it a tear jerker?)

I wouldn't call it a "tear-jerker" (I know, I'm a man. What do I know?). But I would call it "touching." The relationships all seemed very real, even if the dialogue is a little too snappy for real life.

I thought the end was sufficiently vague. in the sense that you don't know exactly how all of these characters will cope with their decisions in the future.

All in all, I thought, a fine, fun and enjoyable movie, with a number of memorable, quotable lines.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: For those who've already seen the movie and want to enjoy choice quotes again: click here. :lol:

Oh, no!! I didn't think Elizabeth would actually put the ending behind that black stripe!! I just wanted to see how it works!! I don't mind spoilers, this movie is definitely on my must-see list.

Don't put anything past Elizabeth!! She puts tortillas in people's purses!! And Chips in Camera Bags!! :lol::P (but we SURe LOVE her!!)

I had wanted to see this movie, but now I have to!! I didn't read any of the spoilers. I am going to have to take Brian to see this one!

Take Care,

Nicole

I think I need to find a movie pal - my husband is not a movie goer. :( And I want to see this movie.

My hubby doesnt like going to the movie either. I love them so much that I just started going by my self. I thought it was a little lonely at first, but now I really like it. Its kind of relaxing to go alone.

Also, I do plan to go see Juno....if I ever get time. ;)

Edited by DebraSmith

I really want to see this movie, but at this point I may wait for the DVD release. I couldn't help myself reading this thread. Plus I have a thing about taking naps at the cozy theatres. :unsure:

I definitely want to see this movie. My sister called me today and told me that she saw the movie last night and absolutely loved it and so wished that she was watching it with me, as she thought I would love it too. Guess that means I need to find a sitter or hope it comes out on DVD soon!!! :P

I think the movie was okay, but I was really upset with the apparent "feelings" that Mark seemed to have developed for Juno. When she went by with the sonogram and they were in the basement he told her that he was leaving Vanessa and he thought that she would be happy about that. Hello! He is 30ish and she is 16!!! That was a bit sick in my book.

There were moments for me to connect, though. I thought of Elizabeth's things not to say to birth parents when Vanessa asked how sure Juno was that she was going to place. I also thought it tacky to ask if she expected other compensation. I cried when Vanessa held her for the first time, as well as with Juno lying in the bed crying. I couldn't help but think of our birth moms being in that place...and I cried for all of us.

I think I like the movie more than I first thought I did...but the Juno/Mark think really bothered me.

I think the movie was okay, but I was really upset with the apparent "feelings" that Mark seemed to have developed for Juno...

I think I like the movie more than I first thought I did...but the Juno/Mark think really bothered me.

I agree. That creeped me out, too.

I was prepared for this dynamic between adoptive father and birth mother - in the movie and in real life - because the Open Adoption Experience talks about it, says it's common and natural. So glad neither of you experienced it though. Best, Kay

I was prepared for this dynamic between adoptive father and birth mother - in the movie and in real life - because the Open Adoption Experience talks about it, says it's common and natural. So glad neither of you experienced it though. Best, Kay

Didn't read that one, Kay, but it is common for the adoptive father to desire leaving the adoptive mother to be with the birth mother??? That blows my mind, and I guess it would be one of those things people don't talk about.

Didn't read that one, Kay, but it is common for the adoptive father to desire leaving the adoptive mother to be with the birth mother??? That blows my mind, and I guess it would be one of those things people don't talk about.

I didn't take it as though Mark intended on any level to "hook up" with Juno; I thought it just reflected his rather adolescent mindset, and a perception that he and Juno were cohorts, so he rationalized that Juno would "get" why he wanted to abandon his staid life with Vanessa. He fully assumed their shared understanding of 'his situation' would alleviate him of responsibility for abandoning Juno's child's welfare. (Interesting parallel, there; it's as if, for all the rapport he'd built with Juno, he had become the surrogate birthfather: yet another guy who walks out on Juno and her baby and expects her/them to both be okay with it?)

P.S. Kudos to Kaye for reading (and retaining!) The Open Adoption Experience; what a great example of how well one mom-to-be has prepared herself for something that could easily unglue someone who hadn't done their homework!

I have to say that this wasn't my interpretation of what happened in the movie. Clearly he felt a connection with Juno and that connection helped empower him to leave Vanessa, and I agree that there was something creepy about their interactions, but I don't think he was leaving Vanessa to be with Juno -- he was leaving her to try to recapture parts of his youth that he felt he had lost and that his current situation wouldn't let him recapture.

The Open Adoption Experience is amazing! It covers every single eventuality at every stage of the adoption process. When Baby Adam was stillborn, I was so impressed that it even included a section on infant demise. No wonder Abrazo recommends it for all of their APs!

I'm no psychiatrist, but I think that the adoption experience is so powerful emotionally, that there can be very strong, very close connections between people who aren't related, and that some people experience those feelings as similar to sexual attraction. I took the adoptive father-birth mother bond to be a kind of mirror reflection of the sexual feelings that some adult adoptees and birth parents experience after reunion, known in the field as "genetic sexual attraction."

But what do I know?

Best, Kay

I have to say that this wasn't my interpretation of what happened in the movie. Clearly he felt a connection with Juno and that connection helped empower him to leave Vanessa, and I agree that there was something creepy about their interactions, but I don't think he was leaving Vanessa to be with Juno -- he was leaving her to try to recapture parts of his youth that he felt he had lost and that his current situation wouldn't let him recapture.

I agree with you, Darren. I think his reasons for leaving had to do with his own "lost youth" and not Juno. But when they started that dance thing, a big "uh-oh" went through my mind. I was really rooting for nothing inappropriate to happen, but, in hindsight, that ship had already sailed. The minute he put his hands on her, it was inappropriate.

Call me a prude, but you shouldn't slowdance with a 16-year-old girl in your basement hideaway and then cap it off by telling her you're leaving your wife.

Edited by John&Nina

(Interesting parallel, there; it's as if, for all the rapport he'd built with Juno, he had become the surrogate birthfather: yet another guy who walks out on Juno and her baby and expects her/them to both be okay with it?)

Did I miss something?? What other guy(s) walked out on Juno and her baby? Paulie? Her dad?

(Interesting parallel, there; it's as if, for all the rapport he'd built with Juno, he had become the surrogate birthfather: yet another guy who walks out on Juno and her baby and expects her/them to both be okay with it?)

Did I miss something?? What other guy(s) walked out on Juno and her baby? Paulie? Her dad?

Paulie, for all his sweetness and "cheese"-ness as a boyfriend, wasn't exactly there when Juno was struggling with her choices.

From an adoption professional's perspective, I think Paulie (the birthfather) effectively "walked out on Juno" when he failed to step up and seek out a participatory role in the pregnancy and adoption decision: he chose not to meet the adoptive parents, opted not to attend prenatal appointments, carried on his "life as normal," dated other girls, didn't want to see the baby and effectively abandoned all the decision-making responsibilities to Juno. The curious thing is that even I left the movie all too willing to "write him off" as a secondary role, although without his initial participation, this story wouldn't be. (How often this is also true of our societal expectations of birthfathers in real life?! To what extent do we impose this on them, and to what extent is their exile self-chosen?)

I think I need to find a movie pal - my husband is not a movie goer. :( And I want to see this movie.

My hubby doesnt like going to the movie either. I love them so much that I just started going by my self. I thought it was a little lonely at first, but now I really like it. Its kind of relaxing to go alone.

I think my volunteer movie pal has forgotten about me (or maybe she is too busy with 2 active little girls). So, I just may have to go see this movie by myself. :( . Good thing is - "ME TIME"!

Edited by DavidnDaena

Okay, granted, I am not in and around these type of situations every day, but this is my perception.

I thought Paulie was an insecure fellow who was had feelings beyond friendship with his best friend Juno, but didn't really think she shared his feelings. It was her idea to have sex--more out of experimentation than "love", although no doubt he was a more than willing participant. But it wasn't like he was the one pressuring her.

When he found out she was pregnant, I don't think he had a clue what to do. I'm sure all he knew was he wasn't ready to be a daddy...and there's nothing wrong with that. People make adoption plans all the time for that reason. Juno, on the other hand, seemed very strong and secure...this is the way it is and this is what I'm going to do about it. I would bet this is also very common in relationships. A very strong, decisive woman and a man who just goes along. Besides...he's told "it's her body...it's her choice."

The only reason he asked the "soup smell" girl out was because Juno told him to. I almost cried in the scene where Juno goes off on him and he says something to the effect of I should be mad at you…you’re the one who broke MY heart. This made me think that sometime after they did the deed, he admitted he wanted a relationship beyond friendship, but she say uh-uh, no way.

I see your point Elizabeth about all the things Paulie didn’t do. I guess I just want to think that he would have done some or all of those things if Juno would have asked him to…if he knew she needed him to. Maybe I’m sexist…but I think sometimes men don’t step up to the plate because they don’t know they’re needed.

I know there are lots of birthfathers who disappear…I just didn’t get that impression of Paulie.

In my ideal “ending” of the movie, Vanessa realizes she cannot just walk away and forget about the first mom of her baby, and they develop a special relationship. Paulie also decides to meet Vanessa and the baby…and decides he wants to be a part of his son’s life as well (in his own insecure and awkward way!)

I think my volunteer movie pal has forgotten about me (or maybe she is too busy with 2 active little girls). So, I just may have to go see this movie by myself. :( . Good thing is - "ME TIME"!

You should have gone with Amanda this past weekend!!

I'll go see it again if you want a buddy!

Juno, on the other hand, seemed very strong and secure...this is the way it is and this is what I'm going to do about it. I would bet this is also very common in relationships. A very strong, decisive woman and a man who just goes along. Besides...he's told "it's her body...it's her choice."

Maybe I'm sexist, but I think sometimes men don't step up to the plate because they don't know they're needed.

In real life, I've found that even the most decisive, most independent or irreverent and non-emotive birthmoms are anything but strong and secure, inside. But they'd be the last ones in the world to admit it. Sometimes, it's their camouflage they take on, to protect themselves from looking (or feeling) too vulnerable at what is in fact their most vulnerable point of all...

That said, Susan, I think you're right: pregnant fathers rarely seem to know how to be needed without prompting. It's an isolating experience, whether you're the one with the belly or not. And sometimes, they need someone to "tell them what is needed" just as much as their babies' mothers need them to be able to figure it out on their own.