For Military Families Wanting to Adopt

C_P1015

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to re-introduce myself, I posted a few times a long time ago, but I've been a "lurker" for even longer and keep up with everyone's stories and really enjoy reading all the posts.  My name is Christine, DH is Patrick, and we're so excited about finding Abrazo and growing our family through adoption.  We are a military family and found out not too long ago that DH will be leaving in Jan for Iraq.  Thankfully though  I spoke to Angela and Elizabeth about this and they were very supportive and said for me to go ahead and get our application in and they would do everything possible to get us going before he left! YEAH!!!!!  We're so thankful that they are willing to help us even with this huge time crunch.  We are currently with a wonderful social worker who is working at warped speed on our homestudy and is just so accommodating to us in everyway.  Its been such a blessing!  So now we're waiting on the (apparently very slow) post office to deliver our application/orientation wknd form to the Abrazo office so we will know for sure that we can attend the upcoming orientation class.  I even called the post office today to see if they lost it...(guess i'm a little impatient..:))  We are just so looking forward to this whole process, making new friends, having a wonderful support system, and getting to start the best job in the world....BECOMING PARENTS!!!  Thanks to everyone that participates in the forum, because probably without realizing it, we've all really encouraged and given so much hope, not to mention educated many people....I know that has been the case for me!  God Bless and I hope soon we will be able to post in the "Parents In Waiting" section!  

Christine

P.S.  I love all your family websites....such beautiful children!!! :D  :D  :D

Hi Christine, Just wanted to say we are happy for you and your husbnad that you are getting everything going all ready. Just because he is serving our country shouldn't mean you can't start your family. Good luck +  enjoy every minute !! Hopefully you will be Parents before you know it! :)

Guest C_P1015

Thanks Dreamer....I really appreciate the words of support!

After reading my post I realized that I must have been more tired than I thought when I wrote it! ha ha!  So many mistakes!   What I was trying to say was that I've learned so much from everyone on this forum and this is such an awesome resource for anyone that wants to learn first hand about open adoption from all sides and its truly been a blessing to me for a long time now.  DH and I are working today on getting some pictures together and our profile.  Is it a good idea to have a good rough draft done to take to orientation? Or should we just bring pictures and get some feedback before going ahead with it?  Also, is there anything else that birthparents look at or know prior to looking at the profiles that would give them some information......or do we need to include everything in the profile (like ages, where we live, ect)?  I want to include plenty of detal, but don't want to be repeating everything they already know.  Thanks for any help....this is all just completely new and we're always so full of questions.  

God Bless,

Christine

Christine,

I think it would be helpful to you to have a draft when you go to orientation. That's what we did, and I'm glad we were able to get feedback from Abrazo about what should stay/change. I think this will save you time in the process. Also, I would include everything you think is important for prospective bps to know about you. In most cases, I believe, this will be all the information they have to go on at first. Of course, as you talk to bps on the phone you will be able to provide answers to  specific questions they may have. Hope this helps! I wish you the best...it's an exciting journey!

Susan

Hi!  I just saw that "DH" is in the military.  I am an adoptee and birthmom.  But I am in the military and going to Iraq on the 16th.  Good luck! You'll be in my prayers.  Along with DH!!

-Angel

Thanks Susan for your help, I really appreciate it.  The trouble we're having now is I think the letter portion is too long.  When I write I tend to be a little "long-winded"  (SMILE)  and I really want to include details about us and our life...but I guess I do need to remember that this is only the first initial introduction and they will of course get to know us better once we talk anyway.  

Its so good to "meet" you Angel!  So you're going to be leaving really soon, thank you so much for your prayers and please know that you will be in mine as well.  God Bless,

Christine

Christine and Angel

As an AF Reservist with a husband on AD I know what you all are feeling.  I haven't had "the call" to arms yet, but you never know.  My bags are packed and I just pray it doesn't happen until WAY after the baby is here.  I plan on retiring from the reserves soon anyway.

Angel, keep you head down and be safe.  I have lots of friends near Mosul in CSH's there and here they are very busy.  I pray you will be safe and sound - you should send you address once there and we can all send you care packages!!!!  

Christine, all I can say is keep it simple.  We were waiting until our home study was done when Elizabeth called on a Tues wanting our profile for a BP who was to deliver on Friday...I ran home, my husband ran home (thank God on leave) and my best friend came over.  In 2 hours it was done (I had done a lot of prep work but no pasting).  We kept it simple with our desires and short notes about us...that BP didn't pan out but the following Tues we got a phone call from Angela about another BP.  You just never know what attracts them to the profile.  Our BP loved our travel page the most...kept talking about it.  We were not about "cutsey" but simple with a collage page on vacations and one page about each of us - a total of 5 pages.   Anyway, good luck, pictures say a thousand words.

S&L :D

Hi Christine!!

I began working on our profile before going to Orientation - I probably spent every night (I worked full-time at the time) working on it for 2 weeks and brought it with me to Orientation (I too am very, very long-winded and the biggest challenge for me was making it brief and fit on the max number of pages Abrazo allows (I think it's either 6 or 8, I can't remember).  Anyway - I took it with me and April and Kelly gave me some fabulous feedback (very honest) and as soon as we arrived home, I re-did it completely and was much happier with it.  I don't think it was a waste of time at all though to have that first one - the feedback was invaluable (think about how many profiles Abrazo sees - they know what works and what doesn't so if you have something for them to look at ahead of time - they can tell you right then and there if you're on the right track and it's better to find out then than several months later when your profile isn't getting much interest.  (See - look how long it took me just to tell you that I think bringing a rough draft with you is a good idea?  Boy, you don't know how hard it was for me to fit my little schpill on the papers and still have room for photos, argh!! )

And just a tip - use Fed-ex or UPS when sending stuff to Abrazo - I always did - you can even do it 2 day and save a little $$.  I know it seems pricey to do that but that way, you know they get it quicker (and believe me, you'll always be sending them something you're in a hurry for them to get - and the money you spend sending it that way will pay for itself because you won't be worrying and wondering if they have it yet or if it's lost in the mail) and you'll have a tracking number, etc.  I set up an account with UPS and sent everything to them that way.

And welcome to the forum again!!  I'm glad you're posting and keep us all posted on how things are going.

Lisa