FBI Idenfication Record Request needed?

Teena & Joe

The home study agency we've chosen told me to ask Abrazo if an FBI Identification Record Request is needed. She says she needs one for her other Texas adoptive couples (but she hasn't worked specifically with Abrazo before.)

We are in Kentucky. We're getting the KY criminal checks and we're getting criminal checks for the previous 10 years when we lived in California.

Do I need to order the FBI check?

Thanks!

The home study agency we've chosen told me to ask Abrazo if an FBI Identification Record Request is needed. She says she needs one for her other Texas adoptive couples (but she hasn't worked specifically with Abrazo before.)

We are in Kentucky. We're getting the KY criminal checks and we're getting criminal checks for the previous 10 years when we lived in California.

Do I need to order the FBI check?

Thanks!

As always, get your Official answers from Abrazo, but enough of us have been through the process that I believe we can answer this....as Kay has already provided some great links.

Yes, I am almost certain, you will need an FBI background check (Fingerprinting and background check) so that it encompasses a national database.

If you have selected someone to complete your homestudy (agency/social worker), they should be able to refer you to the right place to have it done.

I believe the background check must be performed yearly until placement. We just had ours done again earlier this year. I believe ours was once done by Identix but the contract was bought out by another state contractor. I found our information on the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation website. You might try the same for the KBI (Kentucky Bureau of Investigation).

-Adam

It's really easy too! We went to our state police (like 20 minutes) and they have the blue fingerprint cards you'll need and they did ours electronically with water instead of ink. I don't know if they all have been updated to that as it is newer. When we did ours in 2005 it was still ink and messy. Then you just send them in with a letter and await approval (unless your a 2007 Bonnie and Clyde ;) ) I am sure one of them links from Calix has the FBI.gov website, but you can go there and print the address and form letter to mail in with the fingerprint cards!

Good luck!

Jenny

It's really easy too! We went to our state police (like 20 minutes) and they have the blue fingerprint cards you'll need and they did ours electronically with water instead of ink. I don't know if they all have been updated to that as it is newer. When we did ours in 2005 it was still ink and messy. Then you just send them in with a letter and await approval (unless your a 2007 Bonnie and Clyde ;) ) I am sure one of them links from Calix has the FBI.gov website, but you can go there and print the address and form letter to mail in with the fingerprint cards!

Good luck!

Jenny

Ours last year and this was electronic. You just roll your finger across a little fingerpad and it comes up right in front of you digitally, no ink, no mess...very easy, very fast. I paid the $3 expedite fee and my results were back to our agency within 10 days. I think the fee for the background check (fingerprinting is just a part of it) was like $55 each.

-Adam

That was how ours was too (electronic), they misted our fingers with water. Also, just an FYI, we didn't pay for expedited service and still got ours back in under two weeks. We put a deadline date for 2 weeks and got them back later the next week. On the envelop write "ADOPTION" as they process these first for people. They are really quick.

Jenny

That was how ours was too (electronic), they misted our fingers with water. Also, just an FYI, we didn't pay for expedited service and still got ours back in under two weeks. We put a deadline date for 2 weeks and got them back later the next week. On the envelop write "ADOPTION" as they process these first for people. They are really quick.

Jenny

Yeah, I figured the $3 charge might be a gimmick, but $6 was a drop in the bucket to everything so I figured why not get it done quickly - just in case! :D

-A