Nursery Notes

Stork Central

I have two friends here in Texas who are foster parents waiting to adopt a baby. I pray he goes to a home like thiers with a loving family who can become his forever family. I agree he is still a baby and it breaks my heart he has to spend a year waiting for a placement.

I have two friends here in Texas who are foster parents waiting to adopt a baby. I pray he goes to a home like thiers with a loving family who can become his forever family. I agree he is still a baby and it breaks my heart he has to spend a year waiting for a placement.

I also hope this little boy finds a foster home that will adopt him.. :(

• 4 weeks later...

If there's a homestudy-ready family out there in Forumland who might be willing to open their hearts to a Caucasian sibling set (boy/girl) of a three-year-old and a one-and-a-half year old, please contact Angela Martinez, MSW at Abrazo, as we have a potential placement for which we are seeking appropriate options, this week. Thank you!

I so hope these two children find a loving family soon. In my heart I know they will.

Hoping someone finds it in their heart that they can accept these two young children and provide a loving home to them.

Cathy

Well, how about it? ;)

Well, how about it? ;)

Brian & I have talked, but just don't think we could provide the attention and time these children deserve. It might be different if I didn't work or plan on continuing to work. I do hope there is someone out here that can do it though!

Cathy

We adopted an older child (our second). He was over a year old when he entered our home. Adopting an older child can be just as exciting as a newborn - believe me, we've experienced both situations. :)

I would ask each of you that are PIW to gather the pertinent information then prayerfully consider this situation. I am so glad we did just that almost 8 years ago!

Edited by Mathews

Great article in Adoptive Family Magazine about how sib sets for the currently childless family is often a great option even better than againers..may these little ones find a very special family.........

I know that it would be hard for piw's to consider an older child when they have had their hearts set on a baby. I probably wouldn't have given up my dream of an infant. And don't get me wrong, I'm so thankful for every moment I've had with my sweet little angel, but.... I would definitely consider an older child. I think the first year of life, although sweet and special, is also extremely difficult. I think of a one year old like in the sibling group and the age my Alexis is now and think of all the fun that lies ahead. She is just now enjoying things like the zoo and parks, etc. She is so much more mobile and active. I think it would be neat to have a sibling group that were still so young. A ready-made family, a boy and a girl- it does sound like a dream come true. I realize that I'm on the other end of the spectrum now and it is the whole "it's easy for you to say," but that is just my two cents, for anyone thinking about opening their hearts to these kids. May God lead and direct- guilt should not be a motivator!

Stacie

Thoughts to ponder...

Babies are temporary. Sons and daughters are forever.

Infancy lasts less than twelve months. Childhood lasts twelve years or more.

Keep the big picture in mind! "Perfect" families can come in all shapes and sizes.

Loving homes for children in need shouldn't be prizes reserved only for newborns.

Sometimes, the placements we initially desire least may just be the ones we ultimately need most.

Praying these sweet children find homes of love and laughter soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My heart breaks everytime I read a nursery note!!

Stacie,

I couldn't agree with you more. Makenzie is 19 months old now, and she is SO MUCH more fun now than in the beginning.

We hope to adopt an older child next time, and we have discussed this situation, but the timing is just not right for us.

Makenzie had a 5 minute tantrum this morning because I made her wear a sweater (it was 40 degrees outside). I couldn't handle two more in that mindset right now.

However, if I was still a PIW, I would jump on this. What a blessing these children will be to some wonderful family.

Thoughts to ponder...

Babies are temporary. Sons and daughters are forever.

Infancy lasts less than twelve months. Childhood lasts twelve years or more.

Keep the big picture in mind! "Perfect" families can come in all shapes and sizes.

Loving homes for children in need shouldn't be prizes reserved only for newborns.

Sometimes, the placements we initially desire least may just be the ones we ultimately need most.

These are soooo true, it's sad parents don't see it till after they adopt and are no longer available.

"but just don't think we could provide the attention and time these children deserve."

Just something to ponder....... Even the healthiest newborns may take more "time and attention" than you may think. We DID adopt a newborn. We were blessed to be in the delivery room. And our sweet Layna truly did not stop crying and rarely slept for 4 entire months. Colic will do this. Would we change a thing? NO WAY! But please don't bank on a newborn being any "easier or less time consuming" than two toddlers. ALL children deserve all the time and attention they can get. ;)

But please don't bank on a newborn being any "easier or less time consuming" than two toddlers. ALL children deserve all the time and attention they can get. ;)

Exactamente, Donna! I'm never quite sure why anyone would assume that toddlers or older kids require more time and attention than infants; if anything, they're better able to communicate their own needs and they're more accomodating of a new parent's need for sleep!

"but just don't think we could provide the attention and time these children deserve."

Just something to ponder....... Even the healthiest newborns may take more "time and attention" than you may think. We DID adopt a newborn. We were blessed to be in the delivery room. And our sweet Layna truly did not stop crying and rarely slept for 4 entire months. Colic will do this. Would we change a thing? NO WAY! But please don't bank on a newborn being any "easier or less time consuming" than two toddlers. ALL children deserve all the time and attention they can get. ;)

Hmmm. . .I recognize this quote :ph34r:

Cathy

ALL children deserve all the time and attention they can get.

And some children will demand it more than others. :lol: Each child is unique and each age has its own challenges.

We've been blessed with helping raise a now 4 year old girl (niece) since birth and now we've been blessed with a newborn to raise every moment of every day :D. I'd say on most days, Nathan is more work than our niece, but there have been many a day as well where raising a Toddler old who is 'testing boundaries' or simply "being a brat" :rolleyes: has been more tiring than the lack of sleep we get raising Nathan. Ultimately, I'm grateful to have them both in my life. There are definitely days where I would change things (just my opinion of course), but they are both blessed gifts from God and I'm so grateful for the gift of being family to each of them.

As always, be fair to yourself. Keep your mind open and evaluate all possiblities. Ultimately, only you know what is right for you and you will make the right decision for you. :) I think knowing all your options helps you make your best decisions.

Good luck. Every child deserves a good, loving family :) Hoping the right child finds his/her way home to you soon :)

-Adam