The Catholic Corner

ElizabethAnn

Why don't we launch a special section just for our families and friends of the Catholic faith? Here are some possible topics for getting some dialogue started, for exploring questions and sharing beliefs.

Does your parish do anything in particular to offer support to those whose lives are touched by adoption?

How important was it to you that your child be adopted by/birthed by someone of the Catholic faith?

Are there Catholic traditions that should be considered when church members adopt? (For example, using the names of saints in the child's chosen name? Baptizing preemies in the NICU? Asking a priest to offer a blessing over the pregnant birthmom and her chosen adoptive family if they attend mass during a pre-placement weekend visit?)

What does 'being raised Catholic' mean to you and your child?

An interesting question was raised on a Catholic website, recently: Can Priests Adopt? What's your take on this question?

• 1 month later...

GOOD FRIDAY (literally) Everyone!

This thread seems too quiet. Perhpas we just don't have many Catholics on the forum or perhaps they wish to keep their religious thoughts to themselves (which of course is perfectly fine).

I am Catholic though since being married, I primarily go to Methodist church with Beth. I believe the most important thing overall (for us) is to raise the child in a Christian environment and to go to church as a family.

Our child will be shown the Catholic faith, but will likely grow up in the Methodist church. So, I guess he or she won't officially be "raised Catholic".

I love the rich traditions of the Catholic Church and stable format of Mass. Our church family & friends though are where we have been attending church for the last 10 years (or in Beth's case, her whole life)--it's also where Beth works full time.

My nephew is going through the sacrament of First Communion and Reconciliation soon. His mother is Presbyterian and that is where is primary exposure has been. It will likely be difficult for him before long to decide which path he wishes to take (confirmation through the Catholic church or to become a member of the Presbyterian church).

I can tell you that my Priest back home, Father Tommy, is pulling and praying for us in our Adoption pursuit. :)

Wishing Everyone a Very Happy Easter!

-A

• 1 year later...

There is a wonderful resource available now for those who want their Christian radio with a distinct Catholic flavor. The Guadalupe Radio Network now broadcasts in Texas (it can be heard in San Antonio on 89.7 FM and in Spanish on 1380 AM), and nationwide via the internet. I have been listening to this wonderful Catholic Radio station for a year now, and have been richly blessed by its programming. Along with a broadcast of the daily Mass and recitations of the Holy Rosary, there are call-in programs where listeners can call in with their questions about family life, marriage and parenting issues, as well as programs concerning the teachings of the Catholic faith.

To learn more about this wonderful resource and its programming, or to listen on-line, click here:

www.grnonline.com

What does 'being raised Catholic' mean to you and your child?

I recommend everyone give Catholic Radio on the Guadalupe Radio Network (GRN) a listen, and you will be able to understand so much more fully what it means to be "raised Catholic"!

The following GRN stations can be heard in Texas and New Mexico. If you are outside of Texas/New Mexico, you can listen on-line by clicking on the website link above.

910 AM KATH Dallas-Ft Worth

850 AM KJON (Spanish) Dallas-Ft Worth

89.7 FM KJMA San Antonio

1380 AM KWMF (Spanish) San Antonio

1150 AM KLPF Midland-Odessa

90.9 FM KVDG (Spanish) Midland-Odessa

88.5 FM KBMD Marble Falls

91.3FM KBKN Lamesa

91.1 FM Morton

89.9 FM Van Horn

91.5 FM Kermit

91.7 FM Wellington

91.3 FM Clayton, NM

Interesting article, about the uproar within the Catholic Church, over the local church's decision to hold the funeral of Iowan Steven Sueppel, who murdered his wife and four adopted Korean children before killing himself: Did He Deserve a Catholic funeral?

Tell us your thoughts on this.

Only God truly knows if this man was of sound mind or what state his soul was in or what psychological sickness he might have suffered from.

Yes, why didn't he just commit suicide instead of taking the lives of his entire family first? What degree of anger propelled him? The article said he was being charged with embellezment. Did he ever go to his Priest and confess his sins? Did he ever seek spiritual absolution for his sins?

We may never know. But I think "There but for the grace of God go I," because in our sinful human condition we are ALL capable of anger. Perhaps not to the degree that he exhibited, but sometimes it only takes the right circumstance or chain of events to trigger it.

Surely he had family members (perhaps parents, or siblings, or other extended family) who took comfort in the words of solace and hope that were given at the funeral. After all, funerals are for the living.

It's ironic you should bring up this subject, because not long ago there was a discussion on Catholic Radio (on the Guadalupe Radio Network) concerning this very subject. In cases of suicide, medical science has acknowledged that most deaths (from suicide) are not instanteous. Even a gun shot directly to the heart or brain might not stop the functioning instantaneously, and how do we know that the person didn't cry out to God in their last moments of consciousness or brain function and ask for forgiveness? "Oh God....what have I done? What have I done? Please forgive me."

I feel the Church acted with mercy and compassion by allowing the funeral. (And, I am pretty sure if he had been a family member of any of the other church members who were protesting or upset with this decision, they would have felt a funeral was appropriate.) I pray the extended family and friends of the Sueppel's were comforted.

I grew up Catholic, but about a year and a half ago I switched to a contemporary Baptist church. It did take some time to get used to babies not getting baptised, no 1st communion, or confirmation. We get baptised when we are ready to receive Jesus. We don't have communion at every service and I've never seen small kids take communion. We don't have confirmation at all.

About the man that committed suicide - I don't know about the funeral, but it is not our place to judge others. I thought that was God's job?? I hope this does not offend anyone (I am still a baby in my faith - I'm always learning new things)

-Rebecca

Hey cool! We are Catholic, I didn't realize this thread existed!!

I am having a darned time finding a church, though i do belong one now, now that we moved. I just don't feel "home" at any yet...maybe it will take time?

I am having a darned time finding a church, though i do belong one now, now that we moved. I just don't feel "home" at any yet...maybe it will take time?

Good luck on finding a church. I seemed to have the same problem - didn't feel at home or like I belonged. My husband didn't like the Catholic church. I ended up trying a church my friend went to and my husband attends with me now. We feel like part of the church. It probably helps that it is a small church.

Again - good luck on finding a church where you feel at home.

-Rebecca

Just thought some of our Catholic folk might enjoy this story, out of Seattle, about a family there who's adopted five times: Their Own Ministry Starts at Home.

Check out also: CatholicMom.com.

And for those so inclined, here's a Novena for Those Trying To Grow Their Families, in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe, who is near and dear to the hearts of the faithful in these parts!

Thanks for sharing Elizabeth!

This week was the kick off to "respect life" month. I was moved to tears by our priest who discussed life...I am thankful EACH and EVERY DAY that 2 amazing women were courageous enough to choose life!!!!!

Thanks for sharing Elizabeth!

This week was the kick off to "respect life" month. I was moved to tears by our priest who discussed life...I am thankful EACH and EVERY DAY that 2 amazing women were courageous enough to choose life!!!!!

For a review of Respect Life activities going on this month in the San Antonio area, here is the webpage for the Archdiocese of San Antonio:www.archsa.org/respectlife/

For more insight into the history of Respect Life Sunday, here is the Pastoral Letter from Bishop Martino to the Diocese of Scranton PA:

Pastoral Letter on Respect Life Sunday

In England, a huge dispute is arising over the secularization of Catholic adoption agencies there, due to the gay adoption issue: read about it, here.

A similar issue arose in the U.S. (details here) in Massachusetts, back in 2006, when that state passed laws prohibiting discrimination against gay couples, however, in other parts of the country, Catholic agencies have been free to maintain their own placement criteria without governmental influence.

And in California, as Proposition 8 is being widely debated, the Catholic Church there is taking a stand by withdrawing its financial support of an adoption agency that specializes in gay placements: check it out.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to share this with any fellow Catholics who would like to participate in a 9 day Novena for Faithful Citizenship. This Novena for Faithful Citizenship is based on the Novena for Justice and Peace. A novena is a 9 day period of private or public prayer to obtain special graces, implore special favors or make specific petitions. Novena is derived from the Latin "novem" meaning nine.

Today is Day 1. The reading and Reflection will change each day. The Novena Prayer remains the same for the 9 day period. I will post a new reading and reflection on each day. This Novena will conclude on day 9, which is election day.

First Day

Read Psalm 8:2, 4-10

Reflection Upon the Reading

How will I show respect for others, especially my neighbor or those in my community who are not like me?

Prayer

God of love, may we grow in our love for you by respecting the dignity of all people we encounter. Amen

Novena Prayer

Immaculate Heart of Mary,

help us to conquer the menace of evil, which so easily takes root in the hearts of people today,

and whose immeasurable effects already weigh down upon our modern world and seem to block the paths toward the future.

From famine and war, deliver us.

From nuclear war, from incalculable self-destruction, from every kind of war, deliver us.

From sins against human life from its very beginning, deliver us.

From hatred and from the demeaning of the dignity of the children of God, deliver us.

From every kind of injustice in the life of society, both national and international, deliver us.

From readiness to trample on the commandments of God, deliver us.

From attempts to stifle in human hearts the very truth of God, deliver us.

From the loss of awareness of good and evil, deliver us.

From sins against the Holy Spirit, deliver us.

Accept, O Mother of Christ, this cry laden with the sufferings of all individual human beings, laden with the sufferings of whole societies.

Help us with the power of the Holy Spirit conquer all sin: individual sin and the "sin of the world," sin in all its manifestations.

Let there be revealed once more in the history of the world the infinite saving power of the redemption: the power of merciful love.

May it put a stop to evil.

May it transform consciences.

May your Immaculate Heart reveal for all the light of hope.

Amen

Today is Day 2 of our Novena Prayer for Faithful Citizenship.

Second Day

Read Psalm 146:1-8

Who are the oppressed in your community? How am I helping them secure justice? How am I helping to feed and give sight to those most in need?

Prayer

God of love, may we grow in our love for you by respecting the dignity of all people we encounter. Amen

Novena Prayer

help us to conquer the menace of evil, which so easily takes root in the hearts of people today,

and whose immeasurable effects already weigh down upon our modern world and seem to block the paths toward the future.

From nuclear war, from incalculable self-destruction, from every kind of war, deliver us.

From hatred and from the demeaning of the dignity of the children of God, deliver us.

From every kind of injustice in the life of society, both national and international, deliver us.

Accept, O Mother of Christ, this cry laden with the sufferings of all individual human beings, laden with the sufferings of whole societies.

Help us with the power of the Holy Spirit conquer all sin: individual sin and the "sin of the world," sin in all its manifestations.

Let there be revealed once more in the history of the world the infinite saving power of the redemption: the power of merciful love.

Amen

Today is Day 3 of our Novena Prayer for Faithful Citizenship.

Third Day

Read Isaiah 58:2-3, 6-8

What actions do I perform to please God? How am I healing the wounds of my community?

Prayer

God of light, give us the freedom to walk in the footprints of your Son, Jesus. Let our light shine out for all to see by turning to those who call for our help. Heal our wounds, heal our community. Amen

Novena Prayer

Amen

Today is Day 4 of our Novena Prayer for Faithful Citizenship.

Fourth Day

Read Deuteronomy 30:15-20

How do I defend the right to life, especially of the unborn and those near death? How am I tempted to turn away from the commandments and not support the right to life of all people? How can I overcome that temptation?

Prayer

God of life, may we protect and defend the inviolable sanctity of human life from the moment to conception until natural death, with strong voices, gentle hands, and loving hearts. Amen

Novena Prayer

Amen

Today is Day 5 of our Novena Prayer for Faithful Citizenship.

Fifth Day

Read I Corinthians 11:26-29

How is the Eucharist central in my life? My community? Where do I reach out to the body of Christ in my community?

Prayer

Lord, we come together at the Eucharist to celebrate your death and resurrection. Help us experience authentic worship. Help us grow in awareness of each person's dignity, and increase our sensitivity to injustices. Guide us to seek ways to redress them. Amen

Novena Prayer

Amen

Today is Day 6 of our Novena Prayer for Faithful Citizenship.

Sixth Day

Read Matthew 5:43-46

Who are my enemies? how do I love them? How do I live up to the definition Jesus provides for living a Christian lifestyle, a life of Christian love?

Prayer

God of peace,

Give us the courage to be reconciled with our neighbors, our enemies. Give us the vision to truly see what it means to be a Christian so that peace and justice may rule in our world. Amen

Novena Prayer

Amen

Today is Day 7 of our Novena Prayer for Faithful Citizenship.

Seventh Day

Read Ephesians 4:1-6

What divisions exist in my community? What structures in society seem unjust?

How am I striving to achieve justice and peace in my neighborhood, church, and nation?

Prayer

God of justice, we are created in your image. May we glorify you in all of our actions. Amen

Novena Prayer

Amen

Today is Day 8 of our Novena Prayer for Faithful Citizenship.

Eighth Day

Read Isaiah 32:15-18

How do I recognize the Holy Spirit's involvement in my life in the community?

Prayer

Spirit of God, fill our hearts with peace so that we may bring peace to our communities. Amen

Novena Prayer

Amen

I just discovered this resource, that is very timely with tomorrow being Election Day. It is an article on "How to Vote Catholic," which highlights the teachings of our Catholic faith and how we can most effectively practice faithful citizenship by understanding the moral and social teachings of the Catholic Church.

HOW TO VOTE CATHOLIC

Today is Day 9 of our Novena Prayer for Faithful Citizenship.

Ninth Day

Read Matthew 5: 13-16

How am I salt for my community? How do I shine your light for all the community to see? What deeds am I performing in order to glorify God?

Prayer

Lord Jesus, you give us your love and your grace to do great things. Give us the faith to shine our light by walking humbly and acting justly before our God. Amen

Novena Prayer

Amen