Adoption Prayers & Rituals

ElizabethAnn

What a wonderful project for adoptive families and birthfamilies to do together, Suzie! Thanks for sharing this!

Many years ago, Abrazo was involved in the placement of three small children and needed a ritual to help the children understand the joining-together of their birthfamily and adoptive parents, and to carry with them some tangible evidence of both families' endorsement of their new home.

We bought seven knotted leather bracelets, and on the day of entrustment, the children were invited to place a bracelet on the wrist of each member of their "forever family"-- which, of course, meant that the birthdad who had custody and was making the placement plan, the birthgrandmother who had struggled to raise the children for him and came to realize she could no longer manage, the adoptive couple who had originally set their sights on an infant adoption but fell in love with these children instead, and the two little girls and their baby brother all left that day with a physical reminder of their connections.

I think of that whenever I hear the phrase "forever family" used as a euphenism for "adoptive family" only. Somehow, I have to believe it means alot more to adoptees when it describes the ongoing bonds they're allowed to have with everyone who loves them most in life.

• 3 months later...

From the Christian Adoption Blog:

The Role of Prayer in Adoption

Marie Stroughter

Pray without ceasing. (1 Thessalonians 5:17; NASB)

Pray for your child's birthmother: She gave your child life. Whatever the reason that led her to adoption, she needs prayer: prayer for healing; prayer for her grief; prayer of consolation in the loss of her child(ren), and prayer during special times such as birthdays and holidays. If there were any extenuating circumstances that led to her adoption decision (abuse, addiction, etc.), pray that those be eased for her and that she seek or receive help.

Pray for your adopted children: Your children will experience a myriad of emotions throughout their lifetime, many related to adoption. Pray for their understanding as they mature; that they may understand that adults made decisions and choices and that doesn’t mean the child was “bad” or did anything "wrong". Pray for your child’s search for self and identity. Pray for your child’s peace within him/herself. If your child is seeking a reunion, pray for acceptance of whatever the outcome is. If there are psychiatric, medical or behavioral issues, pray that your child will be able to work through them, and like Paul, be able to say:

"My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me (2 Corinthians 12:9; NASB)

Pray for members of your existing family: Your biological children, if any, will certainly need prayer during the adoption process and afterward as they assimilate another child or children into your family. Pray their needs continue to be met. Pray for wisdom and understanding for them during the times when they feel their needs are not being met. Pray for them during the times when it feels your adopted child “gets all the attention.” Pray for them to have the agape love of a sibling toward another sibling.

Pray for yourselves: So many say that adoption is such a “selfless act.” Pray for your motives in adopting. Pray to be the kind of parent your child needs. Pray through your hours of self-doubt. Pray for daily wisdom, guidance, patience and strength. If married, pray for your relationship, that it may grow and flourish and be a source of strength during times of trial.

Others to pray for: pray for the transition of the new children into the family; pray for growth through trials; pray for extended members of the family to accept their new relatives; pray for outsiders that they exercise discernment with their comments; pray for those in the helping professions (doctors, lawyers, social workers, therapists, etc.) that they truly seek to act in the best interests of your child; pray for God’s will to be accomplished through the adoption process; pray for the spiritual growth for each member of your family and that when the time comes, all of your children will make the decision to obey God’s word in their lives; and finally, pray that your family be united in love with God in Heaven through obedience to His word.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

I just happened across this Lutheran site today, with a Bible study lesson on adoption: Waiting Eagerly