I need Advice

motherslove06

I'm new to this whole adoption thing. I was browzing the Internet and found this website. I think it is really neat that the agency has a forum for birthparents and adoptive parents & their families to share their thoughts. I live in Texas and I am considering placing my baby for adoption, but am making sure I use the right agency. Could ya'll please give me some feedback on your experiences with this Agency.

Motherslove06,

If I was a birthmother this is the agency that I would go to. They are so supportive. They will walk with you through your journey even if you decide not to place. We tried to go through another agency in Texas where a birthmother had chosen to place her child with us but because we could not give them the full adoption fee up front in a very very short amount of time they unmatched us. I felt so badly for this birthmother because the agency was making all the decisions. I hope that she found a loving family for her child and hopefully went to a different agency. It was very difficult time for us but then we were led to Abrazo by fate. They really prepare the adoptive couples and everything is done in an orderly fashion. I would definitely trust them. Best of luck to you in your decision process.

Heather :)

I'm new to this whole adoption thing. I was browzing the Internet and found this website. I think it is really neat that the agency has a forum for birthparents and adoptive parents & their families to share their thoughts. I live in Texas and I am considering placing my baby for adoption, but am making sure I use the right agency. Could ya'll please give me some feedback on your experiences with this Agency.

[solicitation for direct email contact removed by administration]

Edited by webmaster

Hi, "MothersLove06." I've noticed you posted the same request in three different places, so please don't be surprized if our webmaster moves your posts into one topic-- that kind of "editing" is done to keep the board organized. Other than that, his editing work is pretty much limited to design and maintenance, preventing libel/slander/fraud (since those kinds of posts have legal ramifications) and watching out for trolls. Given how personal all the discussions on here are and how close our Forum Family is, we don't want the board invaded by those with deceptive agendas (as I'm sure you can understand.)

If you're looking for reliable information on Texas agencies, contact the state licensing board, and check out each agency's complaint records. As far as looking for negatives, my guess is that the folks who choose to be regularly involved in Abrazo's forum community probably like this agency for whatever reason. But let me offer a few "negatives" about working with Abrazo, just to be fair.

Abrazo is NOT the right agency for prospective birthparents looking to play "let's make a deal." We don't believe anyone should place a child to better themselves financially (that's against the law, and it runs counter to all ethical child-placement practices.)

Abrazo is NOT the right agency for prospective clients who want us to make adoption the "right" answer for them (we can't tell you that-- only you can decide whether it's best for your child, because releasing a child for adoption certainly takes an enormous toll on you. And we can't promise that this won't hurt. Because it will.)

Abrazo is NOT the right agency if you want guarantees about the future (we're social workers, not psychics) and how things turn out depends in part on you and whatever family you select.

Abrazo is NOT the right agency for people who don't want to play by the rules. Because we do. We don't cut corners when it comes to doing adoption the right way, for the right reasons.

Abrazo is NOT the right agency for those who need daily supervision and hourly hand-holding. While we try to "be there" for our clients, we also work best with those who are emotionally stable, mentally healthy and willing to think for themselves and participate actively in the process, rather than wanting adoption to be 'done to them' by professionals.

That said, if you have questions about how Abrazo works, why not contact Pamela, our Maternity Services Coordinator, at 210/342-5683 and find out firsthand whether or not you think working with our agency would be a positive experience for you? Because ultimately, it's all about you and your baby and what you both need most, and only you can make those evaluations.

Because, as they say: "Mother knows best!" ;)

Hi, MothersLove06. My husband and I are adoptive parents through Abrazo's adoption program. I am with Elizabeth...give Pamela a call. She is a super nice person, and I know she would be very helpful in answering your questions.

Best wishes!

Elaine

Hi, "MothersLove06." I've noticed you posted the same request in three different places, so please don't be surprized if our webmaster moves your posts into one topic-- that kind of "editing" is done to keep the board organized. Other than that, his editing work is pretty much limited to design and maintenance, preventing libel/slander/fraud (since those kinds of posts have legal ramifications) and watching out for trolls. Given how personal all the discussions on here are and how close our Forum Family is, we don't want the board invaded by those with deceptive agendas (as I'm sure you can understand.)

If you're looking for reliable information on Texas agencies, contact the state licensing board, and check out each agency's complaint records. As far as looking for negatives, my guess is that the folks who choose to be regularly involved in Abrazo's forum community probably like this agency for whatever reason. But let me offer a few "negatives" about working with Abrazo, just to be fair.

Abrazo is NOT the right agency for prospective birthparents looking to play "let's make a deal." We don't believe anyone should place a child to better themselves financially (that's against the law, and it runs counter to all ethical child-placement practices.)

Abrazo is NOT the right agency for prospective clients who want us to make adoption the "right" answer for them (we can't tell you that-- only you can decide whether it's best for your child, because releasing a child for adoption certainly takes an enormous toll on you. And we can't promise that this won't hurt. Because it will.)

Abrazo is NOT the right agency if you want guarantees about the future (we're social workers, not psychics) and how things turn out depends in part on you and whatever family you select.

Abrazo is NOT the right agency for people who don't want to play by the rules. Because we do. We don't cut corners when it comes to doing adoption the right way, for the right reasons.

Abrazo is NOT the right agency for those who need daily supervision and hourly hand-holding. While we try to "be there" for our clients, we also work best with those who are emotionally stable, mentally healthy and willing to think for themselves and participate actively in the process, rather than wanting adoption to be 'done to them' by professionals.

That said, if you have questions about how Abrazo works, why not contact Pamela, our Maternity Services Coordinator, at 210/342-5683 and find out firsthand whether or not you think working with our agency would be a positive experience for you? Because ultimately, it's all about you and your baby and what you both need most, and only you can make those evaluations.

Because, as they say: "Mother knows best!" ;)

Elizabeth's answer is one of the reasons Abrazo is Abrazo and that is the fact that they speak HONESTLY and confront things head on. It's all about being open, honest, and true. I imagine that if you talk with Pamela, she can answer your specific questions and give you a head's up on what most birthmothers experience. However, as Elizabeth so eloquently stated, it is a painful process which is very individual based on many factors. If you read through the posts on this site, you will see that not everything is perceived as positive. There is joy and pain surrounding relinquishment and adoption. The ramifications are life long. I wish you the best in your decisions and journey. Please let us know how you are doing as you process your options and explore what is best for you and your baby.

Hugs,

Jean

I would like to thank you MothersLove for being honest in saying you are considering this. It is wonderful to be honest with your self and to have the brains to do your research. I would like to encourage you to contact the staff. They have been there with so many that our personal opinions may cast a false light on your feelings, simply because it is painful and no two people feel the same. Please rely on your gut as well. You will know what you need, and even more what your baby will need, as we all say motherly instinct does kick in at some point.

I wish you luck in your journey, and please keep a few thing in mind as you travel down this road.

Abrazo will not force you into anything, your choice is what drives them. They are not here for the money, and they do not have personal agendas. That being said, I do not know about other agencies, and Abrazo may/may not be the place you end up. Please keep in mind what is legal, and what you feel. No one should pressure you either way. ONLY YOU know what you feel. I will also remind you it will be a long and bumpy road, even if you choose to parent this bundle of joy, no one said any of it is easy. Please also know we are here if you need to laugh, cry, sob, or just veg. Some have been on this road a long time, and some are just beginning their journey, but we all know it is a rocky road and I wish that God will place his hand on you and help you decide and persevere down this trail. It is a more traveled trail than you know. TONS of people have done this and tons have not. Please do not let the media scare you, they are not in this for the feel good stories, they want ratings and do not always show adoptees/adoptive parents/birthparents or parents in general in the most gracious ways.

We all love children and that is why we are here.

Motherslove06,

Elizabeth said the correct words. If you chose Abrazo or not call them as they are wonderful people and this a very good Agency to start with and give you all your options.

Good luck in whatever decision you decide.

This agency is very reputable.

Linda

[solicitation for direct email contact removed by administration]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - I wanted to share my thoughts with you, as I am an adoptive parent. My husband and I researched and studied for what felt like the right agency, and I know we found it in Abrazo. I'll tell you what I have experienced to be absolutely first and foremost for this agency --- the precious child.

The women of Abrazo go over-and-above to make sure that this tiny life has the most loving home and parents to thrive. They are very focused on the birthparents and providing them the best support and counsel, and to help them through their questions of ...is adoption the best plan for me? what is open adoption? what choices do I have? Their goal is to help birthparents realize the hopes they have for their baby. They give honest, gentle and supportive counsel to the birthparents as they go through this process --- helping them to make the best decision of parenting themselves or of placing their child for adoption.

I think it very courageous of you to open up :) And I will lift you up in prayer, too. Hope this is helpful - Laura

Motherlove,

Welcome to the forum. We are an adoption community and really function more like family. I have only glowing things to say about Abrazo, but why not call them and see for yourself. They will listen, counsel, assist and help you sort through things to come to the decision that you can see is right for you. The Abrazo ladies are nonjudgemental, caring, and most important not going to push you in any one direction. They will be there for you and support you whatever decision you make. Let us know how you are doing. We all care.

Jean

• 6 months later...

I had done nothing but open the phone book and by the luck of the draw ended up calling the first adoption agency I saw. Abrazo. I was familiar with the meaning of abrazo from a few spanish classes I took in high school... hugs. It sounded great. I called Elizabeth and she spoke with me for several hours and sent me all the information I needed to to consider. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Elizabeth and Abrazo. They are the most supportive group of people you will ever meet and however they cannot make your decision for you they can make it easier to find the right family for your child and offer all the support and care you would ever want. Choosing to place your baby is hard, I know this because I have been in your shoes. If you ever need any advice or just an open ear, please feel free to contact me anytime! Good luck and God bless you!

Choosing to place your baby is hard, I know this because I have been in your shoes. If you ever need any advice or just an open ear, please feel free to contact me anytime! Good luck and God bless you!

Nichole,

How nice of you to offer your time and ear to those birthmothers who may need it.

Cathy

I am a birthmother and I was a lot more at ease about my decision once I found Abrazo. They were wonderful and helpful. They were great with me and my family. When i found them I was also just considering aboption. This is a difficult decision and they were great. I was really happy with them. And this on-line community is great. Everyone here are friendly and caring. It like a Internet Family.

I want to support anyone in their choice to adopt or to place their child, I have been there ad after having the amazing experience that I have had, I will always be there and open with anyone that that has any questions or needs some advice.

It is so nice to see what we all get from Abrazo and the Forum... This is a special place... It's true, we are like an Internet Family that we can actually meet at some point in time. How great it that.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and how we are all there for each other.

L-

It is so nice to see what we all get from Abrazo and the Forum...

Hope :)

• 3 months later...

There's a great new website just about to launch, at www.birthmom.info... even if we do say so ourselves! Keep an eye out for it, and spread the word!! :D

its all up to you on how you wanna do it i love this agency but you really have to think about every thing too like are you sure your up for this? or choosing the rite familie for your baby, my babys with a great family rite now in an open adoption, the best one to thinke about ,cause if your like me and you dont hear nothing about your baby hear the baby talk to the baby youll always have guilt. i dont. we have a good relation ship we keep in touch over the phone and on this forum. if you wanna know more about our relation ship go to members and go to scott n char they have no pic on there profile, theyle talk to you so will i . what ever you wanna know ill be here