Celebrity Adoptions

Stork Central

And on the celebrity adoption front, Madonna is awaiting a decision by officials in Malawi on her adoption efforts there (read the latest update), while closer to home, San Antonians Tony & Eva Parker are contemplating adoption, as well: Why Tony & Eva May Take the Adoption Plunge.

Just read in the April 26 issue of parade this story about hunkie Hugh Jackman who has two children via adoption.

Thanks for posting this. It was beautiful and very heart warming.

Tracey

The English media takes a close look at the family life of one adoptive mom who recently undertook a hunger strike on behalf of the children of Darfar: The Folly of Mama Mia.

While Farrow rightly felt betrayed by Allen's relationship with Soon-Yi, I find this quote about her daughter particularly disturbing:

As for Farrow's attitude to Soon-Yi, she was quoted as saying: 'I have tried to speak to her and asked her to come home. She has not responded, so I've given up. I no longer count her as family.'

While Farrow rightly felt betrayed by Allen's relationship with Soon-Yi, I find this quote about her daughter particularly disturbing:

As for Farrow's attitude to Soon-Yi, she was quoted as saying: 'I have tried to speak to her and asked her to come home. She has not responded, so I've given up. I no longer count her as family.'

Very sad. She sounds very hurt-- maybe after all her attempts that is the only way she can cope with her broken heart. I hope she doesn't stop trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Read this: Battle Over Custody of Columbo.

Oh, for Pete's sake!!! If Catherine Falk is 38 years old, she is no longer an "adopted child." Grrrrr!

(More on Peter Falk and his family history, HERE.)

Why does the media always say adopted child? I dislike that. Why can't they just say son or daughter!?

This just in... for all those celebrity adoption watchers who have been waiting with bated breath on this one: Madonna To Be Permitted to Proceed with Adoption of Mercy

And for a bonus round: Nicole Kidman's Adoption Plans.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, Madonna... dear Madonna,

Assuming you have only the best of intentions in adopting another child out of Malawi, could you not have gone there yourself, instead of sending the nanny, to help little Chifundo say her farewells to all that was familiar to her?

Who is advising you in these things? As a loving mother already, you could surely imagine how enormously confusing such a huge transition would be for this little girl... why wouldn't her new mommy want to be there for her, personally:

... to spend time bonding with her in an environment that was already familiar and "secure" for her?

... to meet with her birthfather and her grandmother and the orphanage staff?

... to give her time to acclimate to you one-on-one, as happens with Interstate Compact stays in domestic adoptions, before exposing her to all the overwhelming trappings of your lifestyle?

... to ensure that she was permitted to stay in her own clothing and bring her own possessions along, unwashed, so that even in her new home she has access to things that smell and look and feel like hers, already?

... to help record photographic or video memories of all that is familiar to her in her homeland as a comfort to her in her new home?

... to explain why she was leaving and to hold her hand as she took her first airplane ride-- an international flight, at that?

... to enable her first memories of life with you to begin with you and not with your hired help?

Please, please, please work with the good people of After Adoption, there in England, or the Kinnections here in America, to ensure that you have the best of counsel in helping Chifundo (and any other child/ren you may adopt abroad in the future) adapt, in the healthiest way possible. After all, helping a new daughter to learn to integrate her birthstory and her adoption reality is one of the best things a new mommy (not a nanny or nurse) can do.

Wow...she was so excited to adopt again that she sent hired help. Wow. It's like the help was sent out to restock toilet paper or something.

• 1 month later...

A single dad adopts -good for him! And from the Foster Care system- I applaud you!

A Single Adoptive DAD - Yippee

Good for him, but he could have thought better about the way he phrased things. Talking about the fat, ugly 16-year-old that had been to many of these and knew he/she wouldn't be adopted, but he found a "cute" one??? Maybe I read it the wrong way, or am in a bad mood, it just hit me wrong.

Amanda, you weren't alone in reacting as you did... here's the satirical take from our friends across the pond: Actor Wins Child at Adoption Fair

I know, Ellen, although it's clearly meant to be satire! But can you believe that the parts in italics were actual quotes from the new adoptive dad, in real life? (See Heidi's link, in post 221.) I am sure he was speaking "off the cuff" and maybe he got into adoption without undergoing much preparation or adoption education, but hopefully he'll learn to address the process with more discretion, for his new son's sake.

NO KIDDING! Let's all send letters to People Mailbag and educate the new dad about the appropriate language to use for the sake of his son and all of the uninformed people who will read his comments and think they are okay. Don't get me wrong, I am really glad that Nathan has found a home with a dad who obviously thinks he's wonderful and desires to parent, but it seems there should be a better way to announce the news and tell about the event where he first met his son.