Celebrity Adoptions

Stork Central

According to tabloid sources, Ashton Kuchter and Demi Moore are planning a private adoption with a pregnant sixteen-year-old due in August... hmmm, that means the birthmom is closer to the adoptive dad's age than the adoptive mom, who has kids older than the birthmom, meaning the baby will be young enough to have been a grandchild... confusing enough for you?! :P

meaning the baby will be young enough to have been a grandchild... confusing enough for you?! :P

Not really. I am older than Catherine's birthgrandmother.

Should I be confused?? :blink:

Not really. I am older than Catherine's birthgrandmother. Should I be confused?? :blink:

Only if your husband is young enough to have dated one of your daughters while you were married to someone old enough to be his father... ;)

meaning the baby will be young enough to have been a grandchild... confusing enough for you?! :P

Not really. I am older than Catherine's birthgrandmother.

Should I be confused?? :blink:

I have a couple of friends who were born so much later than their their older siblings that they have Nieces/Nephews that are as old & even older than they are.

Only if your husband is young enough to have dated one of your daughters while you were married to someone old enough to be his father... ;)

I'll have to think about that one for awhile....sounds too much like one of Catherine's homework math problems!!!!!!!!!! :P:P

Hey now.....I am older ( by a couple years) than Parker's birth grandmother....I guess I resemble that remark :P

What I always wonder is does and how the "celebrity" status might influence a 16 yr old choice to place - and is that a type of coersion???? Could a 16 yr think that by placing a child with "them" she might gain status or receive something in return...I wonder how a social worker would handle that - espically an open/identified placement? Would the celebs wonder about "bad press" or blackmail? Gosh......kinda makes me see why the Jole-Pitts haven't ventured into Domestic adoption...

I don't think age should be a factor. Demi and Ashton have been together longer than some people I know. If they are willing and able to love the child that's all that matters. It's only confusing if somebody asks about it. I have a grandaughter who will probably be older than some of my future children. And my husband has sisters and brothers ranging from 40 down to 16 (9 kids in all, all biological) and there are neices and nephews of all ages older and younger. It's not confusing at all to us, just everybody else.LOL

What I always wonder is does and how the "celebrity" status might influence a 16 yr old choice to place - and is that a type of coersion???? Could a 16 yr think that by placing a child with "them" she might gain status or receive something in return...I wonder how a social worker would handle that - espically an open/identified placement? Would the celebs wonder about "bad press" or blackmail? Gosh......kinda makes me see why the Jole-Pitts haven't ventured into Domestic adoption...

Actually, Heidi, having done a number of celebrity adoptions with actors, actresses, and sports stars over the years, I can tell you that when the match is a good one (when both parties are honest and open with each other and there's a good "fit" between them) celebrities have nothing more to fear than do the birthparents who entrust their child to someone whose lifestyle is high profile. It is, however, more difficult to find birthparents willing to place their child in a nontraditional home (birthparents are often put off by great wealth, security concerns, nannies, parents with extensive traveling schedules, etc.) And it's no small task to convince celebrity adopters to trust the person who is giving them such a tremendous opportunity, to become a parent, because in their world, everybody who's nice to you usually wants somethign in return. But the birthparents I've known who placed with the stars and were entrusted with confidential information tended to be very zealous about protecting their child and their child's family's privacy.

• 1 month later...
I just read where Sheryl Crow is the newest celebrity to adopt. She announced today that she has adopted a two-week old baby boy.

Don't you think she should be cancer free for more than a few months before at age 40 something she adopts a baby? I love her music.....and am all for a clean environment....but I wonder why some "body" would okay a home study for her.....waiting for Elizabeth to chime in - she "always" knows the answers to my questions???? Oh -----Elizabeth-----I'm waiting! ;)

Don't you think she should be cancer free for more than a few months before at age 40 something she adopts a baby? I love her music.....and am all for a clean environment....but I wonder why some "body" would okay a home study for her.....waiting for Elizabeth to chime in - she "always" knows the answers to my questions???? Oh -----Elizabeth-----I'm waiting! ;)

I'm with you, Heidi, and I say that as a single parent and cancer survivor.

I would be very hesitant to approve any homestudy for a single parent with recent cancer treatment who recently ended a longterm relationship that severed the marriage preceding it, costing three young children a previously-intact family of origin. (Ouch!)

But I'm guessing this was likely a private adoption, and the theme in many of those "private" West Coast baby deals often seems to be "money talks..." :rolleyes:

Sign me:

You-May-Not-Agree-With-Me-But-You-Always-Get-My-Unvarnished-Opinions (LOL)

You know, on a link I followed to E! network news it allows you to post a comment, so I did.

I responded to those wondering 1) how'd she get a baby in the US and 2) how'd she get one so fast.

I pointed out that 1) there ARE babies in the US contrary to what the media would like to believe

2.a) a lot of agencies encourage birthmothers to chose the family so "waiting lists" aren't always determinate in who takes placement when

and

2.b ) she most likely used a lawyer/broker and paid well for her expedited services.

My comment disappeared an hour later....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My comment disappeared an hour later....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm is right. And I find that even more odd because what you posted wasn't anything incorrect or negative or "out there". Who's moderating THAT site I wonder and why are they against having truthful information about adoption on their site.

Wow Renee!! I agree with MBell! That's weird!? Why would anyone think those facts to be offensive!

Renee-- I piggybacked off your comments and posted this on TMZ; let's see if mine disappears as well!

Domestic adoption is alive and well, despite all the media hype that claims there are no healthy infants available for adoption in the United States. That said, however, it seems obvious that most reputable agencies and adoption professionals would be very cautious about placing a baby with a single parent who'd recently ended a longterm intimate relationship and undergone cancer treatment, because the stress of those events alone could compromise any parent's ability to focus on the needs of a child without distraction. The sad part is that America is rife with adoption attorneys and unlicensed baby brokers called "adoption facilitators" who are more than willing to make any adoption happen-- for a price-- whether or not it is truly in the best interests of the child involved...

Just went looking for your post, Elizabeth, and I could not find it. Strikes me that what you and Renee had to say was relevant commentary. One question: Did you put your affiliation in the post? If so, they may have considered it advertising. Some sites are very strict about stuff like that.

Either way, what the two of you said was on the mark. It's a shame more people didn't get a chance to see it.

Just went looking for your post, Elizabeth, and I could not find it. Strikes me that what you and Renee had to say was relevant commentary. One question: Did you put your affiliation in the post? If so, they may have considered it advertising. Some sites are very strict about stuff like that.

Either way, what the two of you said was on the mark. It's a shame more people didn't get a chance to see it.

No affiliation posted on mine.

I have to hope it was a glitch though because if you read some of the other comments they border on obscene to absolutely bizzare........

I'm with you, Heidi, and I say that as a single parent and cancer survivor.

I would be very hesitant to approve any homestudy for a single parent with recent cancer treatment who recently ended a longterm relationship that severed the marriage preceding it, costing three young children a previously-intact family of origin. (Ouch!)

But I'm guessing this was likely a private adoption, and the theme in many of those "private" West Coast baby deals often seems to be "money talks..." :rolleyes:

Sign me:

You-May-Not-Agree-With-Me-But-You-Always-Get-My-Unvarnished-Opinions (LOL)

Thanks for the validation Elizabeth and Renee.....

I do believe that in California - the home study is done AFTER the private adoption occurs - what social worker is going to take this child out of the home then. Not sure what state she lives in - but this is the type of adoption stuff that makes me mad ....

Signed - I think the rules should be the same for everyone...

Wow - I hate when the media does things like pulling freedom of speech off a web-site especially when it isn't anything outside of the truth.

Good statements, but I could not find them on E.

Please note that "freedom of speech" applies when it's the government doing the censoring. Privately owned companies are allowed (and, indeed, should be encouraged) to set restrictions on what people can say on their Web sites. Some are very strict; some not so. But all have restrictions.

While Elizabeth's and Renee's comments don't fall into this category (and I'm making no excuses for what the Web site operators did), one person's truth is another person's libel.

I couldn't even read all the comments left behind because they were so base and off-topic. I think your comments were pulled for being too intelligent for such a tasteless conversation.

You're probably right. TMZ is most likely looking for snark rather than seriousness. And there's nothing like a bit of intelligence to ruin the troglodytes' party!

You're probably right. TMZ is most likely looking for snark rather than seriousness. And there's nothing like a bit of intelligence to ruin the troglodytes' party!

troglodytes = A person considered to be reclusive, reactionary, out of date, or brutish.

Now that I looked that up, GREAT WORD!!! I will have to remember it for further use!