Celebrity Adoptions

Stork Central

Good for her - he is beautiful!

Here's a very interesting article speaking about celebrity adoptions as well as the culture of transracial and International adoptions. What are everyone else's thoughts on the article? I would love to know!

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/goddess/inside-celebrity-adoption-trend-205329502.html

The part of the article of most interest to me was regarding the international adoptee community and their strong negative feelings about international and transracial adoptions. It's important information for those of us being considered for transracial adoptions. It would be wonderful to have feedback from this community on how best to support a tranracial child. As with all other couples, Pete and I are educating ourselves as much as possible but we would love to be apart of a local group/community experienced in transracial adoption. Does any one have this type of group in their area? We may have to look into starting our own!

The part of the article of most interest to me was regarding the international adoptee community and their strong negative feelings about international and transracial adoptions. It's important information for those of us being considered for transracial adoptions. It would be wonderful to have feedback from this community on how best to support a tranracial child. As with all other couples, Pete and I are educating ourselves as much as possible but we would love to be apart of a local group/community experienced in transracial adoption. Does any one have this type of group in their area? We may have to look into starting our own!

You may want to check out the Rainbow Families thread under parenting. I may help with research/education.

Additionally, if you do adopt a child of another race, reach out to someone of that race and ask questions!

If you have questions about AA culture. hair or skincare (that's a biggie) or anything else, I'm available. You can feel completely comfortable asking anything. (hint: washing AA hair every day = very bad hair)!

Lisa

It is sad to see the strong negative feelings about international and transracial adoptions from international adoptees. I'm sure their perspective is much different as an adoptee from the 70's or 80's. I hope that we are learning and growing and doing a better job of educating ourselves about how to encourage the cultures of our adoptees. There are so many more resources out there for us (in books, and support groups, etc.) to help transracial families. (Cari & Peter, I hope you can find or start a group in your area that meets your needs!)

I liked the end of the article and how the author emphasized that there is a positive side to the fact that so many celebs are adopting which normalizes the transracial families. I think that really is true that so many people look at celebrities as examples to follow. I hope this is not just a trendy thing to do, but it hardly seems like someone would go through all the steps of adoption just on a whim! There are so many steps that it really has to be carefully considered by the adopting parents.

Interesting articles, Brianna! :) Thanks for posting them.

Thanks so much Lisa! I will definitely take you up on the support and the Rainbow Families is a great link. Thanks!! Deb, I agree, we've hopefully come along way since the 70's and 80's with cultural awareness and adoption issues overall.

And yes, thanks to Brianna for providing the article!

Hey, Pete and Cari! Todd and Patty here. (I wish I knew how to work private conversations on this thing.) At any rate, I hope you all are doing well. Are you matched yet?

Remember, the majority of births are now "minority" births. (Does that even make sense??) No matter where you are, you should be able to hook into a local community. It's a lot of fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing that article Dyna. I didn't think it was allowed to adopt while you or your partner is pregnant. Perhaps the rules are different for celebrities? That seems like a lot of stress to adopt and have a baby all in one week. I hope they adjust well to parenthood.

Deb, in private adoptions, anything goes, basically, because there is no agency to set higher standards in a child's best interests, unfortunately... and in celebrity adoptions, it seems the same standard sometimes applies.

This story was similarly troubling, I think... http://mom.me/fun/18.../3782-82567377/

How will the Kellys tell Addie "well, yes, we were so delighted to add you to our family, we let you sit with the nanny in coach just so the paparazzi didn't find out we'd adopted again until weeks later?"

This story was similarly troubling, I think... http://mom.me/fun/18.../3782-82567377/

How will the Kellys tell Addie "well, yes, we were so delighted to add you to our family, we let you sit with the nanny in coach just so the paparazzi didn't find out we'd adopted again until weeks later?"

I like Katherine Heigl but after reading this story I'm not sure about that anymore. I understand that celebs have other forces around them (mainly the photographers looking for any way to make a buck) but still, you should be so happy to have another child that you would want to be with them. I would NEVER be able to fly on the same plane as my child and have them sit in a completely different row with someone else (except if the child was with my husband and we didn't have a choice). Good luck even getting that baby out of my hands a lot during the flight.

I'm always happy to hear about adoptions especially when you know a child is going into a better living situation, but to me it seems like the celebs have an easier time doing this. Maybe my perception is wrong but from other people that I've talked to the international adoptions take quite a lot of time, and yet you hear about celebrities adopting all the time. Maybe they have waited years for that child but I'm not reading about long waits for them, so makes me feel like they don't have to play by the same rules as the rest of us.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, Jocelyn, you are correct: celebrities do get preferable treatment with certain well-known adoption attorneys and yes, some agencies, too (all proteestations to the contrary.) I said this in an interview with People magazine some years ago, and it didn't go over well, but it is the truth.

One very famous actress who will remain unnamed adopted several times through a recently-closed adoption agency and the agency routinely flew staff to NY to secretly retrieve the babies she took home and then decided to quietly "change out" for others. (You can't tell me the average adoptive family could get away with that!?! But of even greater concern is how that affected the tiny newborns who were being swapped around in that fashion.)

Interesting piece in HuffPost about celebrities adopting black babies...

http://www.huffingto..._hp_ref=parents

Your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting piece in HuffPost about celebrities adopting black babies...

http://www.huffingto..._hp_ref=parents

Your thoughts?

I agree with the writer of this article that I don't think the celebrities adopting black children are doing it to be trendy. I do think it has a lot to do with where you live, what experiences you have with people outside of your race, etc. Maybe because people idolize celebrities so much it will open their eyes to a need that is out there (referring to the trend where more black children are waiting than other races)?

I saw this story on the news and then just looked it up. Not a celebrity adoption, but gymnast Dominique Moceanu finding out she had a biological sister. The article will break your heart... "Their parents, Bricker wrote, gave her up for adoption when they found out that she had no legs." Also, "Moceanu, now 30, recounted to ABC her reaction to the letter, "It was the biggest bombshell of my life. Rage was my first emotion, had my life been a lie? I had this sister that was born who was given up for adoption, and I never knew it."

It did amaze me how many similarities they had even though they didn't know about each other!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/11/dominique-mocea-secret-sister-jennifer-bricker_n_1586987.html#s=1082150

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh.. Too busy to have a child "of her own." I see... Should be a rude wakeup call! But then again, after Hugh Hefner, she's probably used to changing diapers. Sorry! Had to go there... Too easy. ;)

• 5 months later...

Rosie O'Donnell and her latest partner have adopted a US-born newborn, according to reports today:

http://news.yahoo.com/rosie-odonnell-wife-michelle-rounds-adopt-baby-girl-212503478.html

O'Donnell formerly funded and worked for a NJ adoption agency, Children of the World, which had reportedly handled her prior adoptions.

That agency was shut down by the state in 2007 for wrongful adoption practices.

We're all for humor, but what a strange thing for these celebrities to joke about:

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/kristen-bell-dax-shepard-joke-were-giving-child-134500022-us-weekly.html