Celebrity Adoptions

Stork Central

And the NEWEST old celebrity to come forward and admit that he was the birthfather of a baby who was placed for adoption is...

ROD STEWART!

Kudos for his public acknowledgment of his birthdaughter at a recent concert.

What an affirmation for a girl who grew up not knowing, herself!

And the NEWEST old celebrity to come forward and admit that he was the birthfather of a baby who was placed for adoption is...

ROD STEWART! (Click underlined link to learn more.)

Kudos for his public acknowledgment of his birthdaughter, and his efforts to stay in touch despite the initial discomfort both reportedly felt in the years since their first reunion. (Which is, of course, as it should be.)

And kudos to a woman whose devotion to the parents that adopted her was not in any way changed by her discovery of her famous birthdad. (Which is, of course, as it should be.)

• 3 months later...

We're all for children in need of loving homes finding them, and we're delighted that Jillian Michaels is excited to be adopting... but did the Star really have to make a reference relating Michael's current adoption plans to the trainer's prior acquisition of a dog with her gay girlpal? Ouch.

------

And Madge, we know your intentions were good, but having adopted before, you weren't exactly "like a virgin" when it comes to knowing that you're over the "borderline" when you make promises to a birthfamily and don't keep them: Mercy's Family Considering Legal Action Since Madonna Didn't Honor Post-Adoption Contact Agreements

• 1 month later...

Well, who knew? Rocker Ted Nugent was the birthfather of a child placed for adoption-- not once, but twice! He recently reunited with a birthson who works at a restaurant in Brooklyn: ROCK ON, DAD!

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to see another Hollywood-type doing a domestic adoption and becoming a multi-racial family: Mariska Hargitay & Hubby Adopt a New Baby

Nice to see another Hollywood-type doing a domestic adoption and becoming a multi-racial family: Mariska Hargitay & Hubby Adopt a New Baby

I saw this!! She has a beautiful little AA daughter! My favorite actress on my favorite show.

• 2 months later...

Truth IS stranger than fiction...

According to ABC News, Casey Anthony, newly-acquitted mother of murdered child Caylee Anthony, is interested in adopting:

Anthony Wants An Unwanted Child To Love

Spare us, please.

Spare us, please.

Amen, sister. Good luck passing that home study!!

Please, please tell me that this could not really happen. It is hard to believe she wants an "unwanted" child when from all appearances she didn't want her own child. The whole situation is so incredibly sad and I just hope that in time the truth (the whole truth - whatever it is!) will come out and there will be some justice for this little one.

It's easier than you think... unfortunately.

Casey Anthony, having been acquitted of murder, manslaughter and child abuse and having had her mental competence affirmed in court, would certainly not be incapable of pulling off a private or independent adoption. Her existing criminal record shows only convictions for check fraud and lying to investigators, and neither precludes one from adopting under most states' laws.

Although her "celebrity" was borne of notoriety, our reality-programming driven culture is bound to equip her with a certain fan base, however questionable their judgement may be. Given that Anthony is reportedly considering million-dollar book deals and movie rights offers, it is sadly conceivable that she could acquire a baby from somebody who sympathizes with her, identifies with her plight and/or wants to benefit from her "fame" by association.

Most homestudy workers generally feel inclined to approve the clients that hire them, and while it may (er, should!) raise questions that a child previously in Anthony's care died of unknown causes, the fact that she was acquitted means she could not be disqualified for that reason alone, assuming she could provide a child with adequate shelter and had the means to provide for him/her.

And should any of Anthony's relatives see fit to entrust a child to her for any reason-- in thirty-one states, no homestudy would be required whatsoever. Anthony could simply have the legalwork drawn up by her attorney, Jose' Baez, and assuming he was friendly with a judge willing to sign off on it, Casey Anthony's adoption dream could become a fait accompli.

Scary, isn't it?

The whole thing gives me chills. I think of our history with home studies - so worried that a disorganized guest room or anything other than brand-new batteries in the smoke detectors would hold things up for us. Then I think of expectant parents and birth parents... how TERRIFYING to think that something you put faith in (the AP's being "safe" because they've been checked out) has loopholes and/or allowances like these. It breaks my heart to think of the blind faith expectant/birth parents have to live with anyway... let alone knowing someone like this could be approved to adopt a child. Scary, indeed.

The thing that made me the sickest about this whole ordeal was that she was glad not to be going to prison or getting the death penalty; I guess I would be too, but your daughter is still dead. Wether she is guilty or innocent she still does not have her daughter, which would personally make me just sick. I keep telling myself that the truth is between her and God and He will be the one to judge her in the long run. Sad, sad story.

Erin

So Scary. It makes me sad that this person might be able to adopt. I hope that no one buys anything that this person or anyone that had anything to do with this trial produces.

The son of Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour is apparently dealing with his own issues, in the wake of a late discovery that his biodad doesn't have long to live yet did not welcome a reunion with his longlost birthson:

Another Brick in the Wall?

• 3 weeks later...

We hadn't heard this rumor, but as it turns out, Amy Winehouse won't be adopting, after all:

WINEHOUSE ADOPTION RUMORS JUST THAT.

Fascinating... I never knew that after losing a biological son in childbirth, Rose Wilder Lane (daughter of Laura Ingalls Wilder) went on to parent at least three boys through some sort of foster care/adoption arrangement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Wilder_Lane

(And for those who prefer sources other than Wikipedia, there's lots more info HERE.)

(Plus, a bonus read for those who enjoy Little House on the Prairie lore as much as my sons and I do: In Honor of Half-Pint! )

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"You is kind... you is smart... you is..." A MOM BY ADOPTION!

Star of "The Help" Adopts Domestically

"You is kind... you is smart... you is..." A MOM BY ADOPTION!

Star of "The Help" Adopts Domestically

That quote from "The Help" has really stuck with me. My mom raised me saying "you were born with so much common sense" and I couldn't help but try to live up to that. I loved the part in that movie where "the help" were the ones giving the children the positive reinforcement they needed. It made me start - that day - telling Oliver every night - in the same way - how loved he is, how important he is, and that he can do anything in the world.

"Motherhood has given me purpose" is right!