Celebrity Adoptions

Stork Central

(I do want to note that I don’t think the fact that she was single or a lesbian has anything to do with her fitness or un-fitness as a parent, but rather that it was her erratic behavior, mental instability, drug use, etc.)

Indeed, there are many twenty-somethings and singles and gays and bad housekeepers and yes, mentally-challenged people who do parent responsibly. However, from an assessment perspective, I would think that most responsible homestudy workers who looked at the combined factors of Ms. Johnson's lifestyle at that juncture in time might have questioned whether she was truly ready to be the most effective parent to whom this child could have been entrusted...?

If 1/10 of the information in those articles about her life is true, then it’s a mystery how any social worker could have approved her to adopt :(

Ms. Johnson's story and other adoption "horror" stories scare the dickens out of me. I would be interested to know if these negative adoptive parents affect decisions of those contemplating adoption plans for their little ones.

While my friend was working on adopting abroad, she and her husband were postponed due to negative press about an American adoptive couple that had mistreated a child. It had absolutely nothing to due with them, but the negative story was fresh in the mind. Hopefully, Ms. Johnson's daughter will be connected with a loving family soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting-- this came out months ago, but apparently rocker Joel Madden was startled when someone approached him offering to sell him a human child for a particular price?

• 2 weeks later...

(Is it terribly unfair of me to say that I am secretly hoping the country of Russia isn't this hard up for adoptive parents, yet?) :blink:

Pregnant Tila Tequila Abandons Plans to Adopt Haitian Orphan in favor of Russian Tot

Just weeks ago, we were reading of the death of adoptive mom Casey Johnson, whose aunt was cited as having opposed her adoption out of fears she would not be a fit parent. Now, that aunt has also had her own adoption decree overturned by the courts.

An odd legal ruling was just issued, in the continuing saga of the Johnson & Johnson heiress who's been battling her former beau (a Beverly Hills diet doctor) over the adoption of a Cambodian boy prior to their breakup: read the story, here.

Can you imagine the enormous legal fees that were incurred in the course of Lisabet's efforts to secretly adopt this child thus foiling Lionel's efforts to do so, and Lionel's attorney's bill for defending his right to be the adoptive dad despite his prior decision to withdraw from that adoption, only to end up "winning" custody yet deciding to leave the child exactly where he is-- with Lisabet?

But even more daunting: can you imagine the trauma of a little boy living in the midst of such warring factions for all seven years of his young life?

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad... the 18-year-old son of Marie Osmond leapt to his death from a Los Angeles apartment building on Friday. (Read it here.) Osmond had told Larry King in 2007 that Michael was in rehab "dealing with adoption issues" and other problems.

Osmond and then-husband Brian Blosil had adopted Michael in 1991; in 1992, they filed an $18 million dollar lawsuit against the Globe for its story, "Secret Baby", which alleged that Michael was actually the product of an adulterous relationship Blosil purportedly had, and for a subsequent story in which the Globe claimed Marie was using the adoption as a cover-up to keep the biological mother from extorting money.

God, be with all families whose teenage sons struggle with depression, and bring them peace! Amen

• 1 month later...

Oh, Tila... can't you just stick to reality shows, darlin', and leave the kids alone?

Tila Tequila Reneges on Adoption Plan

Oh, Tila... can't you just stick to reality shows, darlin', and leave the kids alone?

I think it's saddest that she initially agreed to adopt this girl's baby but says the only reason she initially agreed was so that the girl would stop "freaking out." I'm sure she was "freaking out" when she realized what was really going on. Hopefully she realizes what a blessing it was to be matched with an agency - hopefully a reputable one - that will take good care of her.

Also sad is that Tila has no time for an infant, but is in the midst of adopting a 2-year-old. I hate to think she doesn't realize what set of challenges that, too, will bring and that it will require a huge amount of understanding, attention, and dedication on her part - and time, too! All children require time!

This entire adoption plan that Tila Tequila has is SCARY, for the children! Where is the social worker at who is supposse to interview her?

• 3 weeks later...

How do these remarks sit with you?:

"The Biggest Loser" trainer Jillian Michaels is getting some interesting feedback for comments she made in Women's Health magazine about the reasons she plans to adopt, rather than give birth to, children. "I'm going to adopt. I can't handle doing that to my body," Michaels told the magazine. "Also, when you rescue something, it's like rescuing a part of yourself."

While the trainer, who famously overcame childhood obesity to become one of the most successful fitness gurus of all time, isn't known for her tact -- she has occasionally resorted to name-calling in her attempts to motivate contestants on "The Biggest Loser" -- her comments about pregnancy have led to concern about how they might influence other women."

What about what these comments say about her ideas of adoption?

"The Biggest Loser" trainer Jillian Michaels is getting some interesting feedback for comments she made in Women's Health magazine about the reasons she plans to adopt, rather than give birth to, children. "I'm going to adopt. I can't handle doing that to my body," Michaels told the magazine. "Also, when you rescue something, it's like rescuing a part of yourself."

While the trainer, who famously overcame childhood obesity to become one of the most successful fitness gurus of all time, isn't known for her tact -- she has occasionally resorted to name-calling in her attempts to motivate contestants on "The Biggest Loser" -- her comments about pregnancy have led to concern about how they might influence other women."

Some people are just clueless. I really love Jillian and do believe her heart is in the right place-- but she is clearly ignorant about a lot!!!

Does the Abrazo "Chicks" need to educate Jillian Michaels on adoption???

Rescue something??? mad.gif

What???????

That would look great as part of a home study! Seriously sister, if you know how to stay in shape then allowing a natural process to occur in your body shouldn't be a big issue. See Heidi Klum...

But that's not really the attitude that would lend someone to be a good mother- no matter how the child arrives in her life!

Stick to what you are good at Jillian....

What???????

That would look great as part of a home study! Seriously sister, if you know how to stay in shape then allowing a natural process to occur in your body shouldn't be a big issue. See Heidi Klum...

But that's not really the attitude that would lend someone to be a good mother- no matter how the child arrives in her life!

Stick to what you are good at Jillian....

Amen Heidi!! I totally agree with what you are saying!

In this case, I would say......

go to your local animal shelter, and "adopt" a "rescue" dog or cat (or two) to be your companion! Not only will you feel good about yourself, you will receive unconditional love and loyalty, and it's okay if you have to leave them alone in a fenced back yard, or in their crate for awhile (what with your busy schedule and all!)

So, if you want to feel good about yourself, go to your local animal shelter, and pick up a furry friend.

People magazine has a picture of Sandra Bullock on the cover with a beautiful African American baby boy. Apparently she and Jesse James have been in the process of adopting (placement was in January?) and she will now be a single parent. I think this is the biggest reason she has seemed ok, she had a major focus on taking care of her baby. I hope this is a positive example for adoption!

Were you watching the Today Show? They had someone from People Magazine there and he said that the process had been a long one, and that they had to do the background checks and homestudies just like everyone else. It was refreshing to see that it didn't seem that there was preferential treatment because of fame and/or money.

Obviously, someone (Jesse) was not being totally truthful during the background checks and homestudy visits! This sounds like fraud to me!!!!

I agree, Martha. And I have to admit, after I saw photos suggesting the placement was transracial, I had this momentary thought of "well, at least it means a child of color will have a life of advantage." But then I realized how dumb that kneejerk reaction was, on my part... why should anyone immediately assume that this child was not entitled to a more stable home merely because of his skin color?

Some outfit (agency/attorney/facilitator) entrusted a child of African-American descent to a man who reportedly espouses neo-Nazi ideals, and despite the fact that Sandra and Jesse did not actually have a secure marriage and may now get divorced: was this truly the best possible placement for any child?! Sandra and Jesse have been ensnared in an ugly custody battle up until recently; was it fair to any of the children to expand the family in the midst of that storm?

(I also had to wonder whether or not the placement really occurred in January, because in many celebrity placements, it's not uncommon for the birthdate or placement date to be fudged to "protect" the adopters if the adoption is a closed one and they don't want the birthparents figuring out where the baby ended up.)

This makes me sad for Sandra because she obviously didn't know what was going on. It's not like the baby came after everything came out for her. The baby came before, and I can't imagine the heartbreak of having to hand a baby back after all she's been through. I love that she is going to adopt him as a single parent. It can work, and I hope it does. I don't see any fraud in her since she didn't know about it and many people hold dark secrets. If she had been pregnant we all would do nothing but be terribly sad for her. I think even the best homestudy worker can't be expected to get every secret out.

It does make her act in The Blind Side that much more personal for me. Nothing like a little personal experience to help you act.

ETA: I did see the Jesse James and the neo-nazi stuff and have to admit I was pretty shocked at that. I didn't know anything about it, hadn't heard rumors on it until after it came out. But if there were rumors the social worker should have done some digging.

p.s. I don't think that the child will have a "better" life. I mean really, can any of us say for certain that our kids have a better life than they would have? We can't tell the future and very few of us have kids that were removed from extremely dangerous situations. So to say they would have a better life? Nope. But hopefully they will have a better life than what the birthmom had thought she could give.

Edited by Runyan2002

Jesse James Agrees to Abandon Child Sandra Bullock Now Wants to Adopt Alone

What a train wreck! Why would it be assumed that a child who has had 4 months to bond with its adopting father would not be negatively impacted by his absence from the home and his withdrawal from the adoption plan?

Jesse James Agrees to Abandon Child Sandra Bullock Now Wants to Adopt Alone

What a train wreck! Why would it be assumed that a child who has had 4 months to bond with its adopting father would not be negatively impacted by his absence from the home and his withdrawal from the adoption plan?

Truly, I don't mean to be cynical or argumentative here......but it would probably be more accurate to assume this baby has bonded more with his nanny than either Sandra or Jesse.

Just think about it. January began the "awards" season (Golden Globes, Screen Actors Guild, Oscars...and probably a couple of others that weren't televised or I've forgotten.) Along with the actual awards shows themselves, there were the media junkets, the interviews, the days spent getting fitted for the gowns, hair, makeup, etc. Tuxes for the guys, etc. Plus all the appearances Sandra made on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with David Letterman, George Lopez show, etc etc etc. This is certainly all part of the "business" she is in.... I'm just saying time spent on business meant time spent away from baby and bonding.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that entire days went by when the baby didn't see either of them. Not to mention Jesse being at work during the day at his motorcycle business, plus his attention being divided with his children from his prior marriage and his other "interests." I would actually be surprised to learn that this baby has even bonded at all with Jesse or even realizes who he is. I think at this point having Jesse "in and out" of his life during visitations, plus all the tension that would be created due to the anger, hurt and humilitation that Sandra probably still feels (although I'm pretty sure the "court of public opinion" is 100% on her side) it would be infinitely more traumatic to have Jesse on the perimeter than just making his absense permanent altogether.

Not to mention that if custody is shared, or he still has parental rights, then Sandra has got to consult with him or at least keep him informed on every detail of this child's life during the next 18 years.

Allowing Sandra to "move on" with her life completely, with no ties between them, is probably the one honorable thing Jesse has done.

JMO

Why do we feel the need to pick this family apart? Why can't we assume that they are truly doing the best for this baby, and that this baby was meant to be a part of this family, imperfections and all?

If Dale and I would have had to be perfect to take placement, we wouldn't have a family. I make mistakes regularly and have to apologize to my girls for them.

If this discussion makes anyone uncomfortable, I would certainly understand if they wish to avoid this thread, but celebrity adoptions do attract a fair amount of questions. I don't think anyone is requiring the now-split James family to meet a particular standard of perfection-- but I suspect that any celebrities who adopt and voluntarily participate in cover stories about their adoptions can surely withstand whatever public scrutiny they invite.

This case does beg the question (as did Angelina Jolie's first adoption) of whether or not ordinary adoptive couples would/should have the option of simply converting a couple adoption to a single parent adoption, were their marriages to implode midway through the adoption process? (And should the birthparent/s have any say in the matter?)

In Sharon Stone's adoption, for example, the marriage went South after the finalization as I understand it. But if a birthparent consents to the adoption of her child based on her understanding that her child is going to be raised by a married couple, if the marriage proves to be a sham or an abject failure before the adoption is finalized, indicating her choice of homes may have been based on fraudulent assurances of a couple's stability, should she have the option of demanding another home for her child? Please feel free to share your thoughts, those who wish to do so...