Celebrity Adoptions

Stork Central

The statement about an adoption fair being like a pet fair made me mad too Amanda! :angry: Willie really needs some adoption education. While I am glad for Nathan, I'm sad that Willie's years of planning didn't teach him when to keep his mouth shut!

You ladies are the VERY BEST - I was excited for them both - and was wonderingto myself - why did he make those comments? Willie has a lot to still learn!

Um...I'm wondering if this "adoption fair" is real? I know I'm naive. I can't help it! :unsure:

I agree he needs some help with appropriate adoption language, and I'm certain he's going to get plenty of it once his statements make the rounds. :blink:

Tina, here's a story that previously ran on Good Morning America that questions the appropriateness of adoption fairs: Matching Parties or Meat Markets?

I can't help but wonder what the "ugly sixteen-year-olds" and the other "unwantable" foster kids at the fair out of which Willie picked his "sweet and cute" boy are feeling, hearing his comments. Click here to see just a few of the kids in Los Angeles who still wait for families. (And check out this great program, Weekend Miracles, which is trying to facilitate adoptions of older kids both in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.)

In an interesting twist on this subject, country music star Rodney Atkins talks about being The Baby That Two Families Gave Back.

A single dad adopts -good for him! And from the Foster Care system- I applaud you!

A Single Adoptive DAD - Yippee

I think that it is great he adopted from foster care. I do not like the terms he used and he seems to think of his new son as a "pet"! My husband and I have adopted from foster care. We would never made a comment about getting a cute child. Our children are perfect for our family. We were just lucky to be blessed with these children!

Tina, here's a story that previously ran on Good Morning America that questions the appropriateness of adoption fairs: Matching Parties or Meat Markets?

I can't help but wonder what the "ugly sixteen-year-olds" and the other "unwantable" foster kids at the fair out of which Willie picked his "sweet and cute" boy are feeling, hearing his comments. Click here to see just a few of the kids in Los Angeles who still wait for families. (And check out this great program, Weekend Miracles, which is trying to facilitate adoptions of older kids both in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.)

In an interesting twist on this subject, country music star Rodney Atkins talks about being The Baby That Two Families Gave Back.

OK - so I see the need for something along these lines, but the whole thing makes me go ICK. I can't think any of it is comfortable for the children, or the intended parents.

Knowing that this really happens makes what his names comments even more ridiculous. I'm sure he was going for a laugh, but seriously, there are REAL children involved.

Well, Willie's redeemed himself, by a notch, in my book by publicly stating that he is allowing for openness, saying "I'll never NOT let (his birthmother) see him." Good for him, for having compassion for the birthmother's circumstances and recognizing the importance of honoring his new son's first family regardless!

Hmmm... it remains to be seen (pun intended) whether or not there's any truth to this report, but numerous sources have published stories claiming that the famous father of once-adopted teen Bella Cruise gave her $59k for a makeover that ended up consisting of a new haircut and an improved wardrobe. (Interestingly enough, it seems that the adoption of Isabella Kidman Cruise is a source of great curiosity for those who have left the Scientology movement: read one example, here. Actress Kirstie Alley, also a Scientology follower, adopted two children with her husband Parker Stevenson before their unfortunate divorce. And while we're on the subject of Scientology and parenthood, Ron Hubbard's son gave an interview in 1982 that didn't exactly score points for the founder's apparent relationship with his biological son: No Love Lost Between Scientology Founder & His Son.) There is apparently some documentation suggesting that Scientology's Elite female members who became pregnant are/were "strongly encouraged" to submit to abortions or adoptions, which seems bizarre: listen in on some discussions regarding this, here.

Kourtney Kardashian tells People magazine that she thought long and hard about whether she wanted to keep her baby, but the alternative to her meant abortion, never adoption: Why Is It The Abortion Option Seems So Much Easier to Consider Than Adoption?

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this...Katherine Heigl & Husband Adopting a Girl

Almost exactly a year ago, musician Josh Kelley said he and wife Katherine Heigl weren't talking about starting a family.

Looks like somebody changed the subject.

"Katherine and Josh are adopting a baby," the actress's rep confirms to PEOPLE. The couple are adopting a girl from Korea; Heigl's sister also was adopted from Korea.

Heigl, 30, who married Kelly in December 2007, recently hosted a baby shower for Ellen Pompeo. And last week, Heigl got a leave of absence from Grey's Anatomy to film the movie Life As We Know It.

Heigl's adoption plans were first reported by RadarOnline.

Reported on People.com

So I just learned while watching the Oprah show that apl.de.ap from the Black Eye Peas was adopted from the Phillipines. He gave his adoptive father props because without him he wouldn't be where he is today. It is amazing how many lives are touched by adoption.

Donna

Reportedly, Elton John is considering the adoption of a 14-month-old Ukrainian child: read more, here.

Reportedly, Elton John is considering the adoption of a 14-month-old Ukrainian child: read more, here.

This just in from Yahoo! Entertainment News

Elton John will not be able to adopt a 14 month old Ukranian boy because he is too old and not traditionally married, says a source quoting the Ukranian Minister of Family Affairs.

Interesting. I can see where there could be difficulties in many areas considering their situation. Right or wrong, their marriage will be an issue for some. Adopting a 14-month-old at the age of 62 does increase the chance of a second loss in the not-so-distant future. I do think that the possibility of remaining more in touch with the country of origin would be possible with someone of decent wealth. I can certainly go to Texas at least yearly easier than I could China!

Maybe the Ukraine is truly putting children's needs first rather than taking payment from prospective parents (especially ones with certain wealth)?

I'm sure with Sir Elton's cash reserves, he'll have the funds to hire Madonna's lawyers and get this thing done if it's worth more to him than just good press. (Indeed, this report suggests that he and his partner may try to make an end run around the cited issues by seeking to have the partner, who is younger, file to adopt the child as a single person if their 'marriage' will not recognized by Ukranian officials.) Still, it does seem that the adoption officials of that child's homeland already have their hands full, lately: Ukraine Having Issues With Out-of-Country Families

Seems like the celebrities always get what they want, right? I am sure it will work out for Elton John. I just hope that it is a good thing for the child considering the age of Elton John (not that 62 is that old but it is when just starting to raise a child).

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

I read the following on People.com this morning (didn't even know he was in the adoption process - shows how much I know):

Jon Cryer and his wife, Lisa Joyner, adopted a baby girl, the Two and a Half Men Emmy winner's rep confirms to PEOPLE.

The infant, named Daisy, was born Aug. 11 and is the first child for Cryer, 44, and Joyner, 42, who married in June 2007.

The actor also has a son, Charlie, 9, from a previous marriage.

Edited by dbernados

• 3 months later...

If there's an ounce of truth in this article it certainly paints a sad reminder that children are never fashion accessories, trends, or dolls in which to dress up. May God be with this little girl as she grieves the compounded losses in her life.

Daughter of Dead Johnson and Johnson Heiress

According to the source, Casey's family and friends had been worried about the child's welfare ever since Johnson adopted her from Kazakhstan two years ago...

"She'd see Ava maybe for 10 minutes a day," one source said. "Casey was either sleeping or going out. Nannies really took care of her."

"She's a lovely child and, of course, is always well-dressed."

I read this article and wondered who on earth did the homestudy and why more questions weren't raised about the adoption plans of a 27-year-old single lesbian with a history of instability and substance abuse problems, whose life was reportedly chaotic and whose mansion was admittedly littered with animal excrement?

(Oh... that's right; her last name was Johnson and money was no object.) :(

According to some reports, Johnson's adoption was opposed by an aunt who had used her inheritance to establish an orphanage overseas: Why Even Aunt Libet Didn't Approve. But there was, apparently, even a scandal involving Casey and Aunt Libet, that came about even before little Ava's adoption: Note: This is NOT the John Dee we know & love!

To view the bizarre 'engagement video' recently taped by Johnson and her 'fiancee' Tila Tequila: click here.

So-- you gotta wonder, who handled this adoption and how good do they feel about it, now?

Sincerely hoping that this little girl joins a family that provides her with the love, attention, and stability she deserves. Also hoping that whoever did the late Ms. Johnsons homestudy is held accountable.

(I do want to note that I dont think the fact that she was single or a lesbian has anything to do with her fitness or un-fitness as a parent, but rather that it was her erratic behavior, mental instability, drug use, etc.)

Edited by erin

(I do want to note that I don’t think the fact that she was single or a lesbian has anything to do with her fitness or un-fitness as a parent, but rather that it was her erratic behavior, mental instability, drug use, etc.)

Indeed, there are many twenty-somethings and singles and gays and bad housekeepers and yes, mentally-challenged people who do parent responsibly. However, from an assessment perspective, I would think that most responsible homestudy workers who looked at the combined factors of Ms. Johnson's lifestyle at that juncture in time might have questioned whether she was truly ready to be the most effective parent to whom this child could have been entrusted...?