Celebrity Adoptions

Stork Central

This morning's headline

Angelina Jolie Already Thinking of Another Adoption

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20...ss-topheadlines

Here we go again.

Personally, I think having children (biologically or through adoption) is just another transferance of her addictions, sad.

I'm with Donna... there's something to be said for being fully "there" for the babies you've already got, before adding more to the mix. (Which is why our agency has that policy that requires that adoptive parents take the time to complete one adoption before launching another.)

Frankly, I've never thought about it much before, but what other adopting parent would merit a winning homestudy, if they appeared anorexic and admitted to their homestudy worker that they'd: struggled with drugs, indulged in lesbian affairs, had an "unusually close" physical relationship with a blood sibling, fought tenaciously with a biological parent and refused any effort to repair the relationship, wore their spouse's blood in a vial around their neck, encourages her first son's interest in knives, and has produced three children out of wedlock with a live-in mate?!

And while we're sharing our opinions about celebrity adoptions, is anyone else cringing at the thought that poor little David Banda Ritchie is again losing a fulltime dad? News of Madonna's divorce hit the air yesterday, and as one astute commentator noted, little David is about to be moved to a third continent in his third year of life. That's a whole lot of loss and transition for a very small child. Those Malawi officials who fought to legitimate the adoption against such public outrage must be shuddering with shame about now.

I can't decide how I feel about about Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt....on one hand I don't get them not gettting married at all, I think especially with adoption that sort of "stability" is important for the kids. I also do wonder if she has a sort of "addiction" to adoption. Maybe being uncomfortable just being content (preferring constant change?) maybe having something to do with her background?? I know people who are constantly looking forward because it's too hard to look at the present...it's too personal. But on the other hand I also think it's very neat how they live thier life, seems to love all thier children the same...I also understand the pull, and they have the means. I think as long as they can keep a good balance then it can be a beautiful thing. My mom had 4 kids in 5 years though, so I'm not one to think you need a certain amount of times between kids to raise a healthy family.

I also very much believe you can have a "pull" to a certain country, even though there are children here that need homes too, I do think you can adopt internationally for your own reasons. Honestly, I have felt a pull toward Ethiopia adoption....not that anything would ever come of it. But I also have a second cousin whose biological father lived in Africa and she is now serving in the Peace Corp in the same area as her birthfamily lives (I believe).

I also would hate to say that someone with that rocky of a past cannot grow & change into a beautiful strong woman & mother. Sometime I think people with that kind of past were working through something then, and at least they worked through it (not saying that they shouldn't have counseling to be sure of that). Usually the strongest people I know have been through the hardest things in their lives.

So I struggle with this....going back & forth with my opinions of them.

Also - I have heard Guy wants thier son to stay with him, but didn't specify Lourdes or thier son they adopted? Not sure if it is true or not but if so what a shame. I felt like that adoption story was rushed & it didn't feel "real".

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

More on celebrity adoptions, from the recently-aired special by celebrities sharing their own adoption stories: CLICK HERE.

• 2 weeks later...

Lark Previn, the 35-year-old daughter whom actress Mia Farrow and musician Andre Previn once adopted, has died of an undisclosed cause: read story, here.

For a more thorough report on the sad passing of this young mother of two, click here.

My sympathies to the family, and to the media that is still so archaic as to qualify a dead woman's family relationships by preceding her identity with the mention of a one-time life event that happened over 3 decades ago!?

The media takes every opportunity to drive home their point that children adopted by you and born to you are not the same.

Also, let us remember chantreusse Eartha Kitt, who just died of colon cancer (read bio, here.) Born to a 14-year-old girl of African-American & Cherokee descent and fathered by a white man she never knew, Eartha was adopted by an aunt at the age of 8, and reportedly felt haunted by the rejection all her life. Even her actual birthdate was unknown to her, until a group of SC college students located her original birth certificate in 1997. (See the NY Times' obituary, here.) Rest in peace, sweet songbird!

The media takes every opportunity to drive home their point that children adopted by you and born to you are not the same.

I've noticed this, too - and it always bothers me. I have noticed though that certain media outlets (like People magazine) have stopped pointing this out and now just identifies the kids as so-and-so's children. Hopefully they will start a new trend.

I've been known to rant and rave about this one whenever I see a newspaper article. I especially hate the headlines that say... "man convicted of abusing his adopted son/daughter..." I guess I figure that those articles would have come out the same if the child was biological or adopted (the abuser would have still been an abuser). Pointing out that the child is adopted makes it sound like the child has a problem, like all adoptive parents have bad motives, etc.

URGHHHHHH

Ah, yes... the old "adopt-to-save-the-marriage" trick!

Obviously this isn't coming from a terribly-reliable source, but et's hope Courtney Cox and David Arquette know better.

(Click here to read more.)

Ah, yes... the old "adopt-to-save-the-marriage" trick!

Obviously this isn't coming from a terribly-reliable source, but et's hope Courtney Cox and David Arquette know better.

(Click here to read more.)

That makes the hair stand up on my neck!!!! :angry: Headlines like these make me CRINGE!!! I'm with you Elizabeth, I do hope these two really do know better!!

Melanie

Elizabeth - are "celebrities" subjected the same rules as the rest of us? Do they have to have home studies, etc... or can they work out private adoptions without any of the paperwork? I am curious about this. It seems that when these folks lives, warts and all, are played out in the media, it would be awfully hard to ever receive an "objective" fair evaluation. I would think the statement "adopting to save the marriage" would be reason enough to preclude them from adopting. Just my 2 cents...

I am really hoping the actual conversation went more like...

"you know, infertility can be really hard on a relationship.... it can put your marriage thru the ringer....we are ready to embrace adoption for our family....we hope that our marriage will be stronger as we move forward on this new path...."

and then the media decided to frame it as "adopting to save a marriage"

i can HOPE, right???? :rolleyes: (admitting that i really do love Courtney Cox from the "friends" days...)

Since this article is using the National Enquirer as its source...I don't care if they are planning to adopt, I would be more likely to think the opposite is true because they have the reputation for bizarre and completely untrue stories.

I'm very grateful that my warts and all were looked at in context and in light of who I am now and how they helped me become a better person. If someone had only looked at my faults...I would never have become a mom!

Elizabeth - are "celebrities" subjected the same rules as the rest of us? Do they have to have home studies, etc... or can they work out private adoptions without any of the paperwork? I am curious about this.

I can tell you that celebrities who adopt through licensed agencies do have to go through the same checks as any clients, because state laws mandate that agencies apply their policies to all clients equally... however, I am aware that not all the attorneys who service celebrity cases who adopt follow the same rules. Unfortunately, there are those who go to great lengths to shield their clientele from the procedural "inconveniences" that less famous adopters generally must follow, and who can get virtually anything done-- for the right price. (Sigh.)

• 3 weeks later...
Elizabeth - are "celebrities" subjected the same rules as the rest of us? Do they have to have home studies, etc... or can they work out private adoptions without any of the paperwork? I am curious about this. It seems that when these folks lives, warts and all, are played out in the media, it would be awfully hard to ever receive an "objective" fair evaluation. I would think the statement "adopting to save the marriage" would be reason enough to preclude them from adopting. Just my 2 cents...

Nia Vardalos ("My Big Fat Greek Wedding") answers Dan's question, on Huffington Post today: Why Putting a Child at the Front of the Line Required That We Wait Our Turn:

Later, I was put in touch with a lawyer who works with, how shall I put this daintily... known people in my industry, and was informed I could be put at the top of The List and "have an infant within three days." But didn't that mean I would be moving someone down the list? Someone who had waited? Yeah, wrong.

Kudos to Nia and her husband, for walking away from a drive-thru adoption and going the extra mile, to provide a loving home to a child who was already waiting-- and in this country, no less!

• 1 month later...

The First Lady of France seems to have a more positive perspective on adopting than does the media reporting it, given this rather obnoxious and perjorative headline from the AGI News: http://www.agi.it/world/news/200903041954-...en0053-art.html

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose! :rolleyes:

I'd say that's an obnoxious headline!

I agree... even adopted....Shame on them.

Edited by mfdvols

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously, this isn't the most reputable source, but it's a disturbing concept, regardless...

Michael Jackson Set To Adopt Across the Pond?

My response, in two words or less: "Oh, my."

Ouch! Madonna has got to be feeling about as popular as OctoMom, lately... Madonna's New Adoption Effort Hitting Brick Wall as Questions Mount

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so "TMZ" is not known as a particularly reputable journalistic site, but why on earth would they refer repeatedly to Tom and Katie as Suri's "birthfather" and "birthmother" but then identify Connor Cruise as "Nicole Kidman's former son"?!

Check this out. :blink: