Celebrity Adoptions

Stork Central

Don't get me started!! :angry: Lets just say that Tom Cruise and his church and I don't see eye to eye on pretty much anything and this just adds fuel to my fire! :angry: Sounds like someone needs to learn a thing or two about open adoption for the sake of his children. Isn't Isabella older too? Like teenager or close to it by now? Her brother as well?

She is a teen-ager. I have to say that I was appalled Monday when I was in the doctor's office. I found a reference to a Vanity Fair article in which Nichole apparently was talking about how much she had wanted to "have a baby" when she was married to Tom. She reported that they had two very painful miscarriages. SHe reported that she is now trying to have a baby with Keith- and this was the kicker. She said that she did not believe that she would feel complete unless she was able to have a baby.

They have been so private about their children for so many years- of all things to declare to the world when you decide to stop being private! I feel so sad for how the kids must have felt when they read that.... over and over again.

That's an interesting parallel to the discussion launched here last year: How Adoptees Feel about Their Parents Resuming Fertility Treatment? (And if I'm not mistaken, some news source was reporting yesterday that Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban are now expecting...?)

She is a teen-ager. I have to say that I was appalled Monday when I was in the doctor's office. I found a reference to a Vanity Fair article in which Nichole apparently was talking about how much she had wanted to "have a baby" when she was married to Tom. She reported that they had two very painful miscarriages. SHe reported that she is now trying to have a baby with Keith- and this was the kicker. She said that she did not believe that she would feel complete unless she was able to have a baby.

They have been so private about their children for so many years- of all things to declare to the world when you decide to stop being private! I feel so sad for how the kids must have felt when they read that.... over and over again.

While I think this is terrible-- I also see the possibility that she was misquote for sensational effect. In either case, I feel badly for her children!

Edited by Todd and Eileen

I agree that she could have been misquoted. However, it strikes me as interesting that if she was misquoted she did not do more to "set the record straight." After all, she and Tom sued for what I would consider much smaller infractions. But perhaps that was Tom's nature- not hers.

I guess sometimes I am just amazed at what adoptive parents say overall. It has been my experence that those who are ignorant to the adoption process are not the only ones to make statements about "real children" and the like.

I agree that she could have been misquoted. However, it strikes me as interesting that if she was misquoted she did not do more to "set the record straight." After all, she and Tom sued for what I would consider much smaller infractions. But perhaps that was Tom's nature- not hers.

I guess sometimes I am just amazed at what adoptive parents say overall. It has been my experence that those who are ignorant to the adoption process are not the only ones to make statements about "real children" and the like.

Good point

• 3 months later...

I just read where Tom and Nicole's son, Connor, has a part in an upcoming Will Smith movie (Will and Tom are reported to be good friends.)

But the reporters just can't leave the fact alone that Connor is the adopted son of Tom and Nicole. (As if there is someone alive on the planet who doesn't already know!!!) It was mentioned several times that he was adopted, and they also had to add that Tom and Nicole had an adopted daughter.

However, I don't see it mentioned constantly that Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's daughter is illegitimate (born out of wedlock).

or that Melissa Ethridge's daughter was conceived by the donated sperm of rocker (and former drug addict) David Crosby (of the 70's group Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young for those of you too young to remember).

Or that in fact, Tom and Katie's daughter was also illegitmate, having been born prior to their marriage.

So why, oh why, do we keep having to be reminded that Connor and Isabella are adopted?

(and before anyone posts an angry response....I only use as an example the term "illegitimate" to ask why the media is so biased toward one and not the other?? A son is a son, and a daughter is a daughter...no matter HOW they joined your family! And that is how it should be reported.....period!!) :o

FYI: Nicole is expecting. She's got the bump and has been photographed many times in her family way.

Re the media and adoption: I must not be reading the same stuff. Often I see mention made that Tom and Nicole adopted two children during the marraige, which is simply a statement of fact. Frankly, it would be misleading if they just stated that the couple "had" two children during their marriage or that their marriage "produced" two children.

As for "illegitimate" references, like it or not, those are now matters of morality and not necessarily matters of legality. Most legitimate (sorry for that) media outlets frown on that type of reporting.

Of course, this is not to say that celebrity gossip, which is probably some of what you're referring to, follows the same rules that most journalism follows. It leans heavy on sensationalism and titillation. Cold facts generally give way to the most exciting way to present something, preferably with lots of alliteration... ;)

Re the media and adoption: I must not be reading the same stuff. Often I see mention made that Tom and Nicole adopted two children during the marraige, which is simply a statement of fact. Frankly, it would be misleading if they just stated that the couple "had" two children during their marriage or that their marriage "produced" two children.

John, I read it on Yahoo! Entertainment news. They had a picture of Connor Cruise, with the caption, "Connor Cruise, the adopted son of Tom Cruise, to have part in movie..." It was again stated in the accompanying article.

Why not just say...."Connor Cruise, son of Tom Cruise...."

I guess no one ever "outgrows" being adopted as far as the press is concerned. I remember when Carroll O'Connor's (best known as "Archie Bunker" in All in the Family) son died of a drug overdose, they kept reiterating that he was the adopted son of Carroll O'Connor. (As if that made the tragedy any less heart rending....Carroll O'Connor was devastated and heart broken. And I don't know he would have been any less devastated had this been his biological son.)

Now if the media kept reporting..."Tom Cruise and his third wife Katie Holmes" over and over and over....

John, I read it on Yahoo! Entertainment news. They had a picture of Connor Cruise, with the caption, "Connor Cruise, the adopted son of Tom Cruise, to have part in movie..." It was again stated in the accompanying article.

Why not just say...."Connor Cruise, son of Tom Cruise...."

I guess no one ever "outgrows" being adopted as far as the press is concerned. I remember when Carroll O'Connor's (best known as "Archie Bunker" in All in the Family) son died of a drug overdose, they kept reiterating that he was the adopted son of Carroll O'Connor. (As if that made the tragedy any less heart rending....Carroll O'Connor was devastated and heart broken. And I don't know he would have been any less devastated had this been his biological son.)

Now if the media kept reporting..."Tom Cruise and his third wife Katie Holmes" over and over and over....

Martha,

I just "cruised" :P through Yahoo! Entertainment News, and nearly every story began exactly the way you put it: "Connor Cruise, son of Tom Cruise..." Did they make reference to his adoption later in the stories? Of course! I will say that the circumstances are a little unique here. Connor is playing Will Smith at an early age in this movie. For the record, I had no idea that Cruise's son was African-American, so that would have left me scratching my head without an explanation. I might have thought they pulled the wrong picture.

I'm neither condoning the press description of Connor Cruise or condemning it, but I will say this: At some point we adoptive parents (especially those of us in open adoption relationships) have to stop wanting to have it both ways. We want to be proud of our children's stories, we want them to be proud of their stories, we want their birthparents to be proud of their stories. But somehow, for some reason, we reserve the right to be offended when others say that our children (or someone else's) are adopted. I can see where some could infer that we're rather insecure in our status with all that foot-stomping...

You're right. No one ever "outgrows" being adopted. I think that's part of the lessons that Abrazo has been trying to teach us. Adoption is part of their story, and a vital part of the story at that. It is our children's "first chapter." And we don't have the right to just cut that chapter off whenever we feel like it.

I really hope you don't take this the wrong way, because I do see your point. Our children are our children. I cannot believe sometimes just how much I love our two kids (not because they are adopted, but because at one point I wondered if I had it in me to be a good parent). And while I don't go out of my way to tell people their stories, I will proudly and loudly tell anyone who is interested about who they are and how they came to us (with a plug for Abrazo thrown in for good measure!).

I say none of this to be critical of anyone. I hope I'm just giving us all a little something to chew on. My best to all my friends out there in Abrazo-land. As Hendrick would say, "It's a beautiful day..."

• 4 weeks later...

Grey's Anatomy's Brooke Smith Adopts Baby Girl

By Lisa Ingrassia

Originally posted Friday May 16, 2008 06:50 PM EDT

Grey's Anatomy actress Brooke Smith has adopted a baby girl from Ethiopia, her rep confirms to PEOPLE.

It is the second daughter for Smith, 40, who has a 5-year-old daughter, Fanny, with her cinematographer husband Stephen Lubensky.

Smith, who is best known for her role in Silence of the Lambs, told PEOPLE in October that she and her husband were considering adopting.

"You know, why not?" Smith sad, adding that she and Lubensky have traveled to Africa several times, and filmed a documentary on conservationists in Zimbabwe together. "We still might end up there some time," she said.

The news was first reported by TV Guide.

hmmmmmmmmmm..........

I have such mixed feelings about celebrities and international adoptions. Why not adopt here at home, when we have such need as well? Sometimes, the skeptic in me thinks it's kind of a status symbol.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so she's reportedly undergone surgery in an effort to ensure that she won't have to adopt... but Naomi Campbell apparently needs a good parenting class before pregnancy, to ensure that she "gets" what childbirth really is going to do (and NOT do) for her.

Said Campbell: "I know that with a baby I would change, I'd calm down. With a child you cannot accept compromises. You have to give your full self."

Uhhh, earth to Naomi!!! It's not a baby's job to change you, that's your responsibility!! (And by the way, babies definitely have a way of adding chaos, not calm, to grown-up lifestyles!)

Furthermore, Ms. C., with a child, you must accept compromises. Parenthood is all about compromise.

You never knew your birthfather, so understandably, you may not see a father's presence as being an asset in the life of your future child.

But perhaps, by putting off your motherhood ambitions until you've calmed your ownself down, or until your plans include a daddy who can be there in a way that yours wasn't, you'd be better prepared to offer your son or daughter the kind of stability that every little one deserves in life...?

It's something to think about, my dear.

Just curious as to what kind of surgery she had and why she thinks this means she can have a baby now. I. like probably many of us, have had numerous surgeries and it didn't change anything for me.

Also, in my humble opinion she is the last person that should be considering parenthood. If it doesn't happen biologically for her, I can't imagine any credible agecy (or CPS for that matter) that would allow her to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is, of course, a joke, but for anyone needing a little comic relief from the tabloid fodder, check out: Celebrity Moms to Duke It Out over New Adoption Opportunity.

Speaking of Angelina Jolie, supermarket mags are reporting that she and Brad Pitt are planning to adopt another boy as the perfect addition to their coming bio-twin girls. (No joke: read the story, here..)

And on Chelsea Lately last night, actress Fran Drescher announced she is contemplating adopting, as well... for those who do enjoy adoption gossip!? :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

This months cover of JET magazine features adoption: check it out

Jet Cover

This months cover of JET magazine features adoption: check it out

Jet Cover

Very cool! I love this show, as well! Some of the comments made me laugh a little bit-- especially this one:

"Why does it cost so much to adopt? Could why there's so many kids without homes be because so many adults that want to adopt cannot afford it? If that is the case, well good grief, the government should change things. It shouldn't cost anything to adopt especially if the child is in a state facility or a ward of the state, ya know? I don't know whose fault it is that adoption costs so much money. Are adoption agencies to blame as they'd be doing this for profit, and not for "the good of the children" because if they truly were doing it for the good of the children they wouldn't be charging crazy adoption fees"

I bet Elizabeth loves to hear comments like this, huh? :lol: It sounds like some education is needed here.

I'm not going to say it wouldn't be great if it were free, but I also live in the real world. :P

Anyway, good for Rev. Run and Justine.

• 2 months later...

For those who keep an eye on the goings-on in Hollywood, Adoptive Mom Sharon Stone Loses Custody of Eldest Son to Ex.

And another mom-by-adoption, Meg Ryan, finally reveals what ended her marriage to Dennis Quaid: Before Daisy

What I find heartbreaking is that the courts will remove Roan, but leave the other boys in her custody. If Sharon Stone's home is not an acceptable environment for her oldest son with Bronstein, then surely it is not acceptable for the younger two. Who's looking out for the babies?

You saw it here, first: actress Joely Fisher and husband Christopher Duddy have reportedly adopted a baby girl from (imagine this!) south central Los Angeles!

Welcome Home, Little Olivia!

Kudos to the Fisher-Duddy family, for making room in their home for a child-in-need from right here at home!

That is awesome...maybe more people will think globally and act locally

For more of the detail behind Sharon Stone's recent loss of custody, CLICK HERE.

Botox for foot odor? That's a new one. The article referred to the child as being special needs. Does anyone know what they are referring to here? It's an interesting world we live in, isn't it?

Joely and Chris were inspired by Angelina Jolie and Madonna’s decisions to adopt a baby from Africa,” a family friend tells the mag. “But after looking into the adoption process, they realized there were so many children in the L.A. area who needed homes.” (Joely visited with children in Mozambique in August.)

Uh, yah! They get it. Kudos to them!

• 2 weeks later...

This morning's headline

Angelina Jolie Already Thinking of Another Adoption

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20...ss-topheadlines