Growing Spiritual Children

Driving to my brother's house yesterday with Lily and Nathan in the back seat.

I saw "Oh, darn" about something

Lily says "That's not a nice word" :huh::unsure:

Me: "Okay, what about 'shoot' "

Lily: "No sir, that's not nice either Uncle Adam. GOD doesn't like that"

Me: "Oh, so what Does GOD want me to say instead?"

Lily: "Oh My Goodness!"

Me: "You know Lily, I think you are right :) "

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

We are working on showing Mitchell how to pray. In a book club at our church one of the ladies who was leading the group suggested that we try spontaneous prayer with our children in addition to bedtime prayer.

I have started initiating a morning prayer as Kenneth and Mitchell are walking out the door. We have about 2 seconds, so it consists of a group hug with heads together and whatever is on our minds at the moment, "good day, safe drive, mommy have a nice run etc.." Mitchell always says "Amen!!!"

I am also trying to pray out loud with him in the car while we are driving or right before we go into day care. He has caught on to it and bows his head (sometimes) and waits for the amen. Even though he can't really talk much, I know he understands my words and will catch on that I pray from my heart and whatever is on my mind is what I share with God.

I think the repetition and memorized prayers and verses are equally as important. We are just starting to read him the catechism questions from our church. Presbyterians do less of the memorization and more of the spontaneous prayer so I will have to work on this area more. I want Mitchell to have God's word hidden in his heart. On the plus side it is teaching me a lot too!

Parenting is such a fun job.

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Shameless P.K. Plug for New Parents Becoming Members of a Faith Community...

The accredited San Antonio day school my boys attended offered a generous discount on tuition for all parents who happened to be members of the church in which the day school is located... plus another cut for having more than one child enrolled there. (So-- let that serve as incentive to get active in a church or temple that offers good daycare with a membership discount, and to adopt through Abrazo, again, some of yous!!) ;)

So-- let that serve as incentive to get active in a church or temple that offers good daycare with a membership discount, and to adopt through Abrazo, again, some of yous!!) ;)

Brian and I did talk to our SW at one of our last meetings about looking into a local church for our child/children to grow up in. Assuming we are successful in adopting our first child through Abrazo, we hope to adopt number two as well through Abrazo :)

Cathy

So-- let that serve as incentive to get active in a church or temple that offers good daycare with a membership discount, and to adopt through Abrazo, again, some of yous!!) ;)

Brian and I did talk to our SW at one of our last meetings about looking into a local church for our child/children to grow up in. Assuming we are successful in adopting our first child through Abrazo, we hope to adopt number two as well through Abrazo :)

Cathy

Good for you Cathy! I'm a firm believer that it is so important to start children in church at a very early age. After our ICP wait we arrived back home on a Saturday and we went to church the very next morning. We were tired, but we just HAD to show her off! Seriously though, we took her to church with us until she was about 3 months old and then was getting a little too vocal for the service. Then we put her in the church nursery. Once she got passed nursery age she moved into a Sunday School class and it just amazes me at 3 how much she already knows about the Bible and Bible stories. Kids are so smart so start them young. It gives them a foundation they can use for life. Just my two cents here!

Also what do you mean, "Assuming we are successful in adopting"? Of course you will be successful! It's NOT IF, BUT WHEN! :D

Also what do you mean, "Assuming we are successful in adopting"? Of course you will be successful! It's NOT IF, BUT WHEN! :D

Thank you, Robin, and thank you also for the friendly reminder :)

Cathy

I'm trying real hard to decide between places right now. I have been attending a couple of churches, but don't want to rush joining because of the discount perk. Marc and I have struggled with this for a while, mainly becasue we are out of town so much on the weekends. We also come from different faith backgrounds aand are trying to compromise and find something that works for both of us. I am so glad for the pressure of making a decision, but I don't want to make the wrong one and regret it.

Oh the joy of future parenthood!

D

I'm trying real hard to decide between places right now. I have been attending a couple of churches, but don't want to rush joining because of the discount perk. Marc and I have struggled with this for a while, mainly becasue we are out of town so much on the weekends. We also come from different faith backgrounds aand are trying to compromise and find something that works for both of us. I am so glad for the pressure of making a decision, but I don't want to make the wrong one and regret it.

D

My husband and I were also of different faiths. It was time for us to finally choose when our girls were 2 and 3 yrs old. We definitely looked at how strong the children's programs were in our choices. We have been so blessed to have found one that has our girls so enthusiastic about Christian learning. Our church also has an awesome children's choir and they just love to sing about Jesus!

Hope

D

My husband and I were also of different faiths. It was time for us to finally choose when our girls were 2 and 3 yrs old. We definitely looked at how strong the children's programs were in our choices. We have been so blessed to have found one that has our girls so enthusiastic about Christian learning. Our church also has an awesome children's choir and they just love to sing about Jesus!

Hope

Beth and I are both of the Christian faith but of different denominations (me Catholic, her Methodist). It was a big step finding a place where we could both worship comfortably and most importantly, together, as a family. IMO, it takes some flexibility on both sides to find the right mix of where to call "home" in regards of a common church.

If I might share a little of our faith journey......First, it Sounds like you are already on the right track. Just take your time and most importantly, be open and honest with one another about your feelings for any place you choose to worship. Express your likes and your dislikes. It helps to know where your partner is coming from in his/her faith journey. While I've always considered myself to have a very strong faith, Beth's faith was stronger or more directed in some areas that mine was not. And some of my key "likes" of the church were different from hers or even ones that may were "dislikes" of hers. To me, finding the right church home took more soul examination mores than actual church shopping. Finding churches was easy. In the Catholic church, they often rotate or assign new priests every 5-7 years. So, it can very easily go from having a priest you connect with to one you don't think so highly of. Same goes for our current church where a minister may be there as short as 1 years and typically not much more than about 5 years. We are attending a United Methodist Church, St. Lukes.

We tried only a couple of different places and I really didn't think we would end up where we are now. Looking back, we should have tried a few more places, but honestly, I am happy where we are now. I'm glad we gave it a chance. It took some extra pushes from Beth to give it just a bit more of a chance though. We were much younger (24 yrs old) than the average person in our congregation when we first started going to church at St. Lukes together. It took me a year before I started to feel comfortable there. Is that too long? I don't know, it was just 'right' for us. Getting to know these others in my class who were going through similar things in their lives (like coming from different backgrounds and trying to find a mutual church home) was very helpful.

If it had not been for a brand new "Young Adults" sunday school class which was was composed primarily of young professionals and newly weds in our age demographic, we would not have stayed on. Since then, there have been more people are age and we've made invaluable friendships. We got involved in a number of programs the church offered and eventually Beth even left her job to go work there full time as the Youth Director. We love it, but it took some work on our part. 10 years of marriage later, we are not the "young adults" any more, but it's good to see new people going through the motions we once did and knowing they're on their way to establishing their church home. The children's director is a dear friend of ours as is the choir and children's choir director. So, we see good times ahead for Nathan as he grows up here.

Good luck on finding the right place for the two of you and for your future family. We found a good church home and I'm sure you will too :)

-Adam

• 4 weeks later...

A new study out reports that the majority of adults who attended church regularly as a child feel that this was of benefit to them: The Good News for Parents Who Make Their Kids Go To Church.

I found an interesting display of images on Christ online tonight and thought I'd share it with other parents, who may likewise enjoy exploring with their children what Jesus Christ may have looked like, and how we have come to view Him as we do, over the centuries: Faces of Jesus

And for more content that's family-appropriate, check out More on The Big Guy, Here.

• 4 months later...

Zachary turns two soon so they start Sunday School at church for his age. We know his teacher so we hopefully can start taking him during maternity leave and that will be a habit that Casey can continue when I go back to work.

Take care.

Laural

Any other dad's do this alone?They have a contemporary service he can go to during Sunday School so maybe he will try that out.

... start taking him [to Sunday School / Church] during maternity leave and hopefully that will be a habit that Casey can continue when I go back to work.

Any other dad's do this alone?

We have a somewhat similar scenario as Beth too works on Sundays.

At our house Sundays are "Daddy's Day" :) as Beth works full time as the church Youth Director (kids ages 12-18). She works from 8 am to 8 pm on Sundays. Busy day!

Sunday is my day to make sure he gets fed, dressed for church, gets to the nursery on time so I can get to Sunday School and service, etc. etc..etc...

During the week we split duties pretty well, but Beth always has more time with him on weekdays as he attends PDO (Parents Day Out) at our church so he goes to and from work with her. She has him in her office from 2-5 pm each day.

When Nathan turns 2, he will start attending service with us regularly instead of being in the nursery. Another nice perk will be that when he turns 2, he can attend full time Day School at our church so Beth can have the full work day to get things done and be one building away from him at all times if she wants to check in on him :) While working for a church doesn't pay well, we do get a reduced rate for the Day School so that will help.

Nathan is only 7 months old right now, so I've still got a little while before he's out of the church nursery. We've got a great children's program at our church too so he'll be in good hands when he exits the nursery.

We hope to finalize our adoption in the coming months and then have Nathan baptised. It will be a very special occassion :D (both Finalization and Baptism).

Beth said she was at a small shop the other day that sold baptismal gowns. One of them was over $500! :blink::ph34r: Nathan won't be sporting anything like that, especially for a 1 time wear outfit :rolleyes: Hopefully we can just borrow one from a friend or find an inexpensive one on Ebay.

-Adam

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to pass along one of my favorite children's books: it's Just In Case You Ever Wonder by Max Lucado, and it's a wonderful read-aloud bedtime story. I particularly like that it is written in such a way that makes it equally applicable to adopted children's beginnings, and it pictures a fully-involved daddy as well as a mommy.

Just wanted to pass along one of my favorite children's books: it's Just In Case You Ever Wonder by Max Lucado, and it's a wonderful read-aloud bedtime story. I particularly like that it is written in such a way that makes it equally applicable to adopted children's beginnings, and it pictures a fully-involved daddy as well as a mommy.

This is one of our favorites too!

A few more resources for parents raising their children to embrace the deeper meaning of life:

From the WatchTower publication: Why Did I Have to be Adopted?

Also check out: Making Your Child Thirsty for God

And from Parenting magazine: Raising Spiritual Kids

And: The Power of Intuition: Instilling Spirituality in Children

Plus: Ten Tips for Raising Spiritual Kids

And also: The Spiritual Formation of Children

• 4 months later...

Need a lift, in the wake of all the BAD news, lately? Here's a little something that appeared in my email, today:

JUDAS ASPARAGUS

(AUTHOR UNKNOWN)

A child was told to write a book report on the entire Bible. This is amazing and brought tears to my eyes. I wonder how often we take for granted that children do understand what we are teaching ???

Through the eyes of a child: The children's Bible in a nutshell

In the beginning, which occurred near the start, there was nothing but God, darkness, and some gas.

The Bible says, 'The Lord thy God is one, but I think He must be a lot older than that. Anyway, God said, 'Give me a light!' and someone did. Then God made the world.

He split the Adam and made Eve. Adam and Eve were naked, but they weren't embarrassed because mirrors hadn't been invented yet. Adam and Eve disobeyed God by eating one bad apple, so they were driven from the Garden of Eden. Not sure what they were driven in though, because they didn't have cars.

Adam and Eve had a son, Cain, who hated his brother as long as he was Abel. Pretty soon all of the early people died off, except for Methuselah, who lived to be like a million or something.

One of the next important people was Noah, who was a good guy, but one Of his kids was kind of a Ham. Noah built a large boat and put his family and some animals on it. He asked some other people to join him, but they said they would have to take a rain check.

After Noah came Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Jacob was more famous than His brother, Esau, because Esau sold Jacob his birthmark in exchange for some pot roast. Jacob had a son named Joseph who wore a really loud sports coat.

Another important Bible guy is Moses, whose real name was Charlton Heston. Moses led the Israel Lights out of Egypt and away from the evil Pharaoh after God sent ten plagues on Pharaoh's people. These plagues included frogs, mice, lice, bowels, and no cable. God fed the Israel Lights every day with manicotti.

Then he gave them His Top ten Commandments. These include don't lie, cheat, smoke, dance, or cover your neighbor's stuff. Oh, yeah, I just thought of one more: Humor thy father and thy mother.

One of Moses' best helpers was Joshua who was the first Bible guy to use spies. Joshua fought the battle of Geritol and the fence fell over on the town.

After Joshua came David. He got to be king by killing a giant with a slingshot. He had a son named Solomon who had about 300 wives and 500 porcupines. My teacher says he was wise, but that doesn't sound very wise to me.

After Solomon there were a bunch of major league prophets. One of these was Jonah, who was swallowed by a big whale and then barfed upon the shore. There were also some minor league prophets, but I guess we don't have to worry about them..

After the Old Testament came the New Testament. Jesus is the star of The New Testament. He was born in Bethlehem in a barn. (I wish I had been born in a barn, too, because my mom is always saying to me, 'Close the door! Were you born in a barn?' It would be nice to say, 'As a matter of fact, I was.')

During His life, Jesus had many arguments with sinners like the Pharisees and the Republicans. Jesus also had twelve opossums. The worst one was Judas Asparagus. Judas was so evil that they named a terrible vegetable after him.

Jesus was a great man. He healed many leopards and even preached to some Germans on the Mount. But the Republicans and all those guys put Jesus on trial before Pontius the Pilot. Pilot didn't stick up for Jesus. He just washed his hands instead.

Any way's, Jesus died for our sins, then came back to life again. He Went up to Heaven but will be back at the end of the Aluminum. His return is foretold in the book of Revolution.

• 5 months later...

This is a good resource for parents of all faiths who want to teach their children to pray, even though it is specifically written for Catholics: Helping Your Child to Pray

• 1 month later...

Yesterday when I was getting my daily dose of "what's new today" on the forum, Catherine was looking over my shoulder as she noticed some of the new avatars. She remarked, "I can't believe that all these kids are adopted!" I said, "Yes, and aren't they beautiful? I think these are the most beautiful kids in the whole world!"

Catherine thought about that for a moment, then replied "That's because we are all a GIFT FROM GOD!"

As I reflected upon her insight, I thought about the various ways in which gifts are received. Some gifts come at expected times, such as Christmas or birthdays or Valentine's Day. Sometimes gifts come at unexpected times, and we are not as prepared to receive those gifts. And sometimes when we are expecting to receive a gift, it doesn't arrive at all, to great disappointment and sadness.

I am so thankful for the gift our family received!

Yesterday when I was getting my daily dose of "what's new today" on the forum, Catherine was looking over my shoulder as she noticed some of the new avatars. She remarked, "I can't believe that all these kids are adopted!" I said, "Yes, and aren't they beautiful? I think these are the most beautiful kids in the whole world!"

Catherine thought about that for a moment, then replied "That's because we are all a GIFT FROM GOD!"

As I reflected upon her insight, I thought about the various ways in which gifts are received. Some gifts come at expected times, such as Christmas or birthdays or Valentine's Day. Sometimes gifts come at unexpected times, and we are not as prepared to receive those gifts. And sometimes when we are expecting to receive a gift, it doesn't arrive at all, to great disappointment and sadness.

I am so thankful for the gift our family received!

AMEN Catherine!!!!

• 5 months later...

I sent my boys to an awesome, interdenominational church camp (see http://www.tbarmcamps.org) this summer that offers their families spiritual support throughout the year... they email devotionals to parents and I thought I'd share some of them here, as I find them really helpful:

Enjoying Daily Time with God - Part 1

Oct 19, 2009 12:00 am

By Dudley Callison, Camp Pastor, LPC

“Dad and Mom, why is it important to have a Quiet Time?”

Maybe this question has landed on your dinner table already. Unlike many other important disciplines stated in scripture, the Bible never offers us a “You shall have a Quiet Time with God” verse.

Let’s compare spending time with God to other enjoyable – even essential – activities. We eat healthy food. We drink lots of water. We spend quality time together. We do these things not only because they are vital nourishment, but because they are most basic for us to thrive, to live. The same can be said of our relationship with God. Time with Him is essential, and can be as enjoyable as a good Uno game by the living room fire on a cold, winter night.

Through the years I’ve come to understand the value of a set time with God, coupled with a keen awareness of God’s constant presence throughout the day. Scripture, prayer, even worship are a special part of time alone with God, but are equally important in the normal flow of life.

We know from Mark 1:35 that “Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.” And we also know from Mark 3:14 that Jesus “appointed twelve – designating them apostles – that they might be with him…” Special time, _and_ shared life. This is the kind of spiritual awareness I want my kids to learn.

But before we learned how to run, we learned to crawl, then cruise, then walk. I think the same can be said about learning how to walk with our unseen, yet ever-present God. Let’s revisit some foundational steps of spending daily time with God – and how you can encourage these in your kids.

1. Prayer – Jesus prayed. He taught his disciples how to pray (Matt 6). And Jesus lives today to intercede on our behalf (Heb 7). The path to natural prayer comes through the daily exercise of prayer. Basic, simple, heartfelt praying teaches us how to express ourselves to God. Your kids learn to pray by praying, and by listening to you pray. So, here is a basic instruction if there ever was one – pray together. Ask your son or daughter to pray for something specific. Help them if they get stuck, and let them know that every prayer is heard clearly by God.

2. Scripture – Just as the Lord hears our voice through prayer, so we hear His voice through the Bible. And He has said so much to us already! We can help our children enjoy hearing from God by looking up verses together that relate to normal, daily life. Often we get tripped up on a particular translation of scripture. For younger children, consider the [1]Day By Day Kid’s Bible together to enhance their comprehension of God’s word. During the formative years at home, it is important that they enjoy the practice of reading scripture. And understanding what they read will establish a desire to get into more literal translations later in life.

3. Devotional Times – Enjoy having a daily devotional together. This is truly fun! When my oldest daughter decided to follow Christ, we got up in the mornings to read the Bible and to pray together. If it takes 3 days to establish a new habit, these are mornings well spent with your child. Also, getting into a rhythm of a family devotional communicates that time with God is both an individual and shared experience. You can sing, draw a picture, or talk about the joys and troubles of your day.

For families with younger kids, try [2]Family Devotional Builder .

With older kids, consider reading through [3]The Home Team together.

Links:

1. http://www.amazon.com/Day-Kids-Bible-Readers-Tyndale/dp/0842355367/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255459925&sr=8-1)%20%20or%20for%20older%20kids,%20read%20The%20Message%20(http://www.amazon.com/Message-Remix-Bible-contemporary-Language/dp/1600060021/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255460112&sr=1-2&utm_source=Family+Matters+-+T+Bar+M+Camps+Newsletter&utm_campaign=dc6f16f448-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email

2. http://(http//www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=35671&event=CF#curr

3. http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=59282&event=CF&utm_source=Family+Matters+-+T+Bar+M+Camps+Newsletter&utm_campaign=dc6f16f448-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't actually made it to church or temple as a family lately? Have good intentions, but find it too hard to get everyone up and moving on time on Sunday mornings? Wonder why the act of "going to church" matters, if you're teaching your children to be spiritual beings with good morals even without sitting in a pew? Here's some inspiration to get there next Sunday... with kids in tow!

3 Cheers For Church!

Nov 16, 2009 12:00 am

By Dudley Callison, T Bar M Camp Pastor, LPC

Let's talk about church and your son or daughter’s enthusiasm to participate in it. And we’ll consider church with a long-term goal in mind, namely, to see our children become mature, responsible, and godly people who carry their faith into adulthood.

In the “church attendance” records, two interesting facts stand out. First, adult Christians were asked, “What was the most important part of church growing up that led you to want to keep going after you left home?” Surprisingly, it was not the Sunday school teacher or curriculum, or the solid theology of the preacher. And it had nothing to do with denominational loyalty. The primary factor for young adults who continued going to church was that, as a kid, they enjoyed the church experience.

Now, contrast that with another interesting bit of data. While teens report a higher church attendance rate than adults, once they leave home their church attendance drops off in appalling fashion. One survey suggests that, out of teens who went to church through high school, only 25% continue to attend church in the first few years after leaving home. Why? The main reason they stopped going to church was because they no longer were forced to go to church. Being “forced” into church attendance implies that they are no longer going because they enjoy the experience.

While the church has come under much criticism in recent decades, there are still plenty of reasons to celebrate what God is doing in, and through, the church. Our children can enjoy their church experience today, and find value in church that lasts well into the future. We can “cheer” for our kids as they experience these things at church.

1. _Celebrate Christian friendship_. Proverbs 13:20 states, “He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.” Church is about relationships – with God, other believers, and those in the world who don’t know Christ. Look for the friendships in your child’s life that promote faith values and encourage wise choices. Going to church as a family is a priority, but who your child relates to at

church may have more to do with their desire to come along. Support these key relationships. Cheer for Christian friends!

2. _Celebrate serving together_. We come into relationship with Christ by grace through faith, and not by works. And, yet, in the same Ephesians passage we read, “For you are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works.” (Eph 2:8-10) Kids today are not interested in theology for the sake of learning. They want theology that is lived out in real-time action. They are engaged in social justice, global issues, and hands-on helping. Our kids are “digging” church that allows them to dig a fresh-water well in a remote village. Parents who serve alongside their kids increase the likelihood that this serving posture continues into adulthood. Cheer for church that serves!

3. _Celebrate various “expressions” of church_. In the Bible, we learn much about Christ and how He lived, but we learn very little about the form and structure of church. In fact, the church depicted in scripture met in homes and shared daily life in pursuit of Christ. In Acts 2 we see, “All the believers were together and had everything in common… Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts…” I grew up in a traditional church, and I continue to participate in structured church programs today.

However, church as described in scripture is more about people than programs, emphasizing the spiritual journey more than tracking attendance records. So if your son or daughter is not enjoying church on Sunday, look for the expressions of church that they do enjoy during the week. Youth group involvement might be just as important as Sunday morning. Also encourage involvement with solid para-church ministries in your area. This “verb” form of church – living out our values with other believers in the world – is the expression of church most described in scripture, and we want to cheer for our kids as they participate in it.

So let's give three cheers for church! And the more your kids enjoy the experience of church, the more you will have to celebrate.

• 3 months later...

I happened across a site this evening that I thought might be of interest to other Christian parents out there. It's called http://www.bibleparent.com and it features Scripture cards that parents can print out for their children, to put in their school bags for inspiration, or to give them for memorization... check it out!

• 1 year later...

10 Ways to Pray for Your Child

http://imom.com/tools/build-relationships/10-ways-to-pray-for-your-child-printable/

10 Ways to Pray for Your Teen

http://imom.com/tools/build-relationships/10-ways-to-pray-for-your-teen-printable/

Founds these great ways to pray for your child on iMom! Enjoy!