Putting up a Praise!!!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a wonderful letter. Greatful that these new parents were willing to step in and take over.

Heather :)

HALLELUIA! After what seems like weeks of inclement weather and torrential rain that even caused power failures here yesterday, San Antonio was actually blessed with several hours of sunshine this afternoon!! Shine on, oh golden orb! Yayyyy, God!!!

In light of Elizabeth Edwards' announcement that her breast cancer has metastisized (spelling?), I wanted to share some positive news about a breast cancer survivor who is near and dear to my heart...my oldest sister was diagnosed with Stage III Breast Cancer (Inflammatory Breast Cancer) in August 2004. She just had her regular follow-up appointment (they have been every 4 months since treatment) last week and got another excellent report. She is almost at the 3 year mark which is HUGE for IBC survivors (their 3 year suvivor milestone is like other breast cancer 5 year survivor milestones).

Praise God, thank you for your prayers - and thank you to those amazing doctors who helped my sister.

Lisa

What wonderful news Lisa!

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you...when I re-read my post, I hope it comes across as I meant it - I guess one of the biggest things I looked for, when we first rec'd my sister's diagnosis was survivor stories - I wanted to read about those who had "beaten the odds" and I took so much comfort in reading about those who had come through their cancer battle and were counting down the years they were a survivor.

So, hopefully - my sister's story will also offer hope and comfort to anyone else who may need it.

We have learned to make every effort to not take a day for granted.....

Lisa

Lisa,

Focusing on the positive and the possible is often what motivates "us". Success stories like your sister are so important ...the people that find your and her story will be blessed and inspired!

Lisa,

Awesome new about your sister!

In light of Elizabeth Edwards' announcement that her breast cancer has metastisized (spelling?), I wanted to share some positive news about a breast cancer survivor who is near and dear to my heart...my oldest sister was diagnosed with Stage III Breast Cancer (Inflammatory Breast Cancer) in August 2004. She just had her regular follow-up appointment (they have been every 4 months since treatment) last week and got another excellent report. She is almost at the 3 year mark which is HUGE for IBC survivors (their 3 year suvivor milestone is like other breast cancer 5 year survivor milestones).

Praise God, thank you for your prayers - and thank you to those amazing doctors who helped my sister.

Lisa

That is wonderful news Lisa. My mother hit her 5 year survivor mark late last year. She still can't get good insurance which is scary, but she is healthy which is a blessing :). Beth's aunt is 15+ years and counting :)

Edited by Adam & Beth

I just have to tell you all about the beautiful 12 1/2 year old who is one of the loves of my life (Cassie). Cassie had to do an autobiographical poster for her Language Arts class. This is the paragraph she wrote for her "past". Much of what she wrote is part of her adoption story that we've told her over and over again. I guess she was listening! I loved it.

"As you may know, I am adopted! I was adopted when I was about 2 months old, so of course, I don't remember too much about it, although my parents remember it like it was yesterday! Here's what happened ... my parents found out that three children (Hillary, 2, Brian, 1, and me, 2 months, were being placed for adoption by their birthparents, who were very sad to have to make this life-changing decision. So ABRAZO called them and asked if they would consider it. To make a long story short, on the best day of my parents' lives, they got the phone call telling them that they would be able to adopt us! My parents flew to Texas to meet us and fell in love! We came to New Jersey and on the plane from Texas (remember now, I was really young and it was my first time on an airplane), I GOT SICK, then my sister was SQUIRTING GRAPE JUICE all over my mom and my brother was PULLING the lady's hair in the seat in front of us for the whole plane ride! It was totally CRAZY!!! My parents were a little frustrated to say the least! Finally, we got off the plane with the help of the PILOT! As soon as my parents saw some of their family they all started crying like a bunch of babies! It wasn't a sad cry though, it was a happy cry! They were just happy to finally be a family!"

As you can see, Cassie uses lots of exclamation points (just like me!!!!!)! She thinks the plane ride home is the funniest story (it truly was comical...as we wanted to make a very good impression when we got off that airplane, but instead we were covered in poop, pee, throw up and grape juice!) She had to keep her paragraph to a certain number of words, so she cut a lot of other things out, but I think she did a good job on it. We've come a very long way since October of 1994 and I wouldn't change a thing! Just had to brag a little about our (not so little) girl!

:wub: Aw shucks! Thanks for all the kind words about Cassie's project. The next paragraph was about something in the present (but it could be from anytime in her middle school years). She wrote about when we went to Camp Abrazo in 2004 and when she met her birthparents for the first time in 10 years. She is very proud of her adoption ... a few weeks ago she came home from school very upset. When I asked her what happened she told me her Science teacher said something like "if you don't do well in this class your parents mightl put you up for adoption". I emailed the teacher and told him how upset she was and that we embrace adoption in our house, etc. etc. and I asked him not to use this phrase ever again. He wrote me back and said he didn't use it at all, but Cassie insists that he did, so I guess he just felt dumb about it and decided to deny it. I have to say I love Cassie's passion. There is another boy in that same class who is also adopted, but never discusses it and Cassie asks me all the time why he won't talk about his adoption. I just tell her maybe he doesn't have an open adoption. I'm so glad we do!

:wub: Aw shucks! Thanks for all the kind words about Cassie's project. The next paragraph was about something in the present (but it could be from anytime in her middle school years). She wrote about when we went to Camp Abrazo in 2004 and when she met her birthparents for the first time in 10 years. She is very proud of her adoption ... a few weeks ago she came home from school very upset. When I asked her what happened she told me her Science teacher said something like "if you don't do well in this class your parents mightl put you up for adoption". I emailed the teacher and told him how upset she was and that we embrace adoption in our house, etc. etc. and I asked him not to use this phrase ever again. He wrote me back and said he didn't use it at all, but Cassie insists that he did, so I guess he just felt dumb about it and decided to deny it. I have to say I love Cassie's passion. There is another boy in that same class who is also adopted, but never discusses it and Cassie asks me all the time why he won't talk about his adoption. I just tell her maybe he doesn't have an open adoption. I'm so glad we do!

Wow, Karen.

What an inappropriate statement for anyone to make and most especially a teacher. Obviously, the teacher knows that he has students who are adopted and proud of it. What an insensitive oaf!! He obviously needs to be educated on postive adoption language, open adoption, and how to be an intelligent, positive member of the teaching profession. UGH!!! Cassie is so fortunate that you have given her the gift of her history in all it's beautiful glory. I feel very badly for the other child who may not have had that experience. SO sad.

Just thought I'd post this here also, since it's a HUGE praise! (I guess it's a prayer request, too, but it's an even bigger praise!) :P

Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! I am SO excited and nervous and overwhelmed!

We just found out that Jonas' wonderful birthmother has decided that she wants to meet with us tomorrow!

.....and she is going to see "our" precious baby boy for the first time!!!!

We had pretty much given up hope that we'd ever get to see "R" again. She had told us before Jonas was born that after placement, she did not wish to have any contact with us and that we should send any letters and photos to her mom. She also chose not to see Jonas after he was born (including pictures of him).

In the past 11 months, she has started looking at Jonas' pictures and reading our letters, but the fact that she has now decided to see us again and Jonas for the first time is absolutely amazing!

Please pray that this reunion goes well. I know it is going to be heartbreaking for her....I HATE that she's had to endure so much pain.

Jonas' birthgrandmother told us tonight that "R" has written a letter to Jonas. I started crying as soon as she told me that. How am I ever going to make it through tomorrow without crying the whole time?

That's wonderful, Trisha!! Don't worry about crying. Tears cleanse the soul and heal the heart. What a blessing Jonas and all the other members of the triad have received in this reunion of possibilities!

I'll be praying that it exceeds all your expectations.