Home Study

Guest Jenapher25

Melissa is correct-- you have to previously have had a homestudy completed, in order to engage in what the state calls "matching activities," unless an arranged contact is being set up for informational purposes only.

This is why we encourage againers to wait on getting their homestudy update done until they're matched but why newbies have to do their homestudies right away.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melissa is correct-- you have to previously have had a homestudy completed, in order to engage in what the state calls "matching activities," unless an arranged contact is being set up for informational purposes only.

This is why we encourage againers to wait on getting their homestudy update done until they're matched but why newbies have to do their homestudies right away.

Thanks!! I thought so, but was just wondering.

And NO Jenny - nothing on my mind I just was curious. ;) After the beating I got with the last one being a surprise I'd be SURE to tell yall if not! Hahaha!!! :)

Thanks!! I thought so, but was just wondering.

And NO Jenny - nothing on my mind I just was curious. ;) After the beating I got with the last one being a surprise I'd be SURE to tell yall if not! Hahaha!!! :)

Yeah, I know one day I'll open my email and see an email saying "Guess What...". I knew once I got you over to Abrazo you'd fly right through!!! LOL You did 2 under 2, will there be a 3 under 3 coming? HA HA! :P:P:P

I love your Avatar, I don't think I've seen that picture but it is absolutely adorable. The boys are just too cute and getting so big!!!!

Edited by LovingBoo

• 2 months later...

I have a question... a friend of ours has moved in for a little while and so the social worker is coming out next week. Where can I find the requirements regarding this update/addendum to our home study that is being done strictly to add our guest?

For example (though not all inclusive)...

- do all members of the household have to be present for this appointment?

- what information does the social worker need to include about our guest?

- for oregon the social worker indicates she usually gets a copy of the guests birth certificate... abrazo do you need a copy of that birth certificate as well?

...?? what else do I need to ask about this that I don't know??

Thanks!

Suzi

• 1 month later...

I live in Texas and had a home study done about 4 years ago for adopting our son. We did not keep it "current". We also did not have five visits by the social worker. So do we need to do a whole new homestudy, or can we update our old one once matched/within 30 days of placement?

I live in Texas and had a home study done about 4 years ago for adopting our son. We did not keep it "current". We also did not have five visits by the social worker. So do we need to do a whole new homestudy, or can we update our old one once matched/within 30 days of placement?

We had a prior homestudy before coming to abrazo as well... the line I heard over and over as I tried to relay between abrazo and our social worker was that your original home study is your original home study and everything after that are addendums/updates to it. I would assume that would be true of you as well. that you will get an addendum that covers the 25 points in the texas requirements, with how ever many visits. I think you have to have a current home study to be presented to birthparents/expectant parents for potential match so you would need to get your addendum/update and then have another update/addendum if necesary within 30 days of placement.

Thanks Suzi!

We had a prior homestudy before coming to abrazo as well... the line I heard over and over as I tried to relay between abrazo and our social worker was that your original home study is your original home study and everything after that are addendums/updates to it. I would assume that would be true of you as well. that you will get an addendum that covers the 25 points in the texas requirements, with how ever many visits. I think you have to have a current home study to be presented to birthparents/expectant parents for potential match so you would need to get your addendum/update and then have another update/addendum if necesary within 30 days of placement.

This is one I would double check with the ladies on. You may just be able to send the original approved homestudy and get an update prior to placement, but I could be totally wrong on that!

That is all we had to do. We spoke to our son's birthmom in Jan. and our social worker came over about 30 days before Jack was due to be born.

This is one I would double check with the ladies on. You may just be able to send the original approved homestudy and get an update prior to placement, but I could be totally wrong on that!

That is all we had to do. We spoke to our son's birthmom in Jan. and our social worker came over about 30 days before Jack was due to be born.

Melissa do you mean to say that you didn't update your home study at all between the two kids just 30 days before placement. Your kids are 4? years apart? So all the components of your home study would have been out of date... fingerprinting, medical, financial info, etc.

Is there a time frame where that is no longer okay... like if it's been 10 years since the last update?

• 2 months later...

Hello! First time poster to the Forums. My wife Natasha and I have submitted our application and are awaiting the next orientation program. So excited!

One question relevant for this thread; we are looking to get our Home Study in progress for Illinois. Since we are not signed up with a local agency (only Abrazo), we need recommendations for local MSW's or agencies that will perform just the home study portion.

We have found some online and via word-of-mouth, however we figured the best place would be through the rec of another Illinois Abrazo family.

Please let us know! Direct message or forum replies are great!

Thanks.

Mark and Natasha

Chicago, IL

Hello! First time poster to the Forums. My wife Natasha and I have submitted our application and are awaiting the next orientation program. So excited!

One question relevant for this thread; we are looking to get our Home Study in progress for Illinois. Since we are not signed up with a local agency (only Abrazo), we need recommendations for local MSW's or agencies that will perform just the home study portion.

We have found some online and via word-of-mouth, however we figured the best place would be through the rec of another Illinois Abrazo family.

Please let us know! Direct message or forum replies are great!

Thanks.

Mark and Natasha

Chicago, IL

I too would greatly appreciate any *Wisconsin* families that could tell me who did their homestudies and how long it took. THANK YOU!

Missy

It's really hard to say as to when the next orientation would be. It really depends on what kinds of couples or families the Abrazo ladies think they need.

Mark

Probably in October, after the Abrazo gals recover from Camp Abrazo.

• 7 months later...

Hello. First time forum poster here! I just got back from the post office where I mailed in our application to Abrazo! :D

I live in Austin and am looking for someone to do our home study. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Hello. First time forum poster here! I just got back from the post office where I mailed in our application to Abrazo! :D

I live in Austin and am looking for someone to do our home study. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum Family!! We live in Houston so I don't have any recommendations for Social Workers but I am sure someone will know someone. Good Luck and Welcome!!

Thanks.

Hi, Leigh! Welcome to the forum! We're pretty new here as well, but have found so much useful information under all of the various different topics. We live in Memphis, TN and weren't sure what social worker to use, so I found the Memphis support group here on the forum (under United States of Adoption thread) and asked that group directly. They were able to give me lots of good suggestions. Not sure if there's one for Austin or that area, but you should check and get to know other families in your town! :)

Here's an old post that was made with a similar suggestion, plus a little more:

I would ask Abrazo if they knew of anyone in your area. Also, do you know anyone in your area that has adopted? You might could get a good idea of a great social worker in your area by asking around. Word of mouth is great for leading you to a great social worker or keeping you from hiring a sorry one. I would make sure that you know what Abrazo's standards are concerning soc. workers before hiring one.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your journey!

Elaine

Good luck!

Melissa

"tara&eric" are from austin and several families from the 3x5 orientation group from 2008 or 2007. search for tara&eric the forum member or go to amigos thread in the forum and find 3x5 group but i think tara is your best bet as 3x5 group i think is pretty quiet on the forum.

"tara&eric" are from austin and several families from the 3x5 orientation group from 2008 or 2007. search for tara&eric the forum member or go to amigos thread in the forum and find 3x5 group but i think tara is your best bet as 3x5 group i think is pretty quiet on the forum.

Let me say a shout out from the 3x5's.... no, we are in the SA area and used Mara Hudock for homestudy. Hope that helps you!

Dyna I was thinking of Michael's parents colleen & ? (the 1? year old placed summer 2008), the twins parents (joaquin & sienna), and a few others that were all in the same orientation group live in Austin... was that 3x5? I can't remember - man how time flies!

Dyna I was thinking of Michael's parents colleen & ? (the 1? year old placed summer 2008), the twins parents (joaquin & sienna), and a few others that were all in the same orientation group live in Austin... was that 3x5? I can't remember - man how time flies!

MaMa & PaPa Tents!!! :)

Thanks guys for all your help. I'll look into your suggestions. Melissa, I'm originally from Memphis! I left in 1996 but go back often to see the fam. My parents are still there. Fun to meet someone on here from my hometown.

Thanks guys for all your help. I'll look into your suggestions. Melissa, I'm originally from Memphis! I left in 1996 but go back often to see the fam. My parents are still there. Fun to meet someone on here from my hometown.

There are a ton of us on here! I was so surprised at what a large network of Abrazo families there are in Memphis, but you'll come to see quite a few of us. I can't advocate enough for finding people on the forum who live in the same town... it's already been invaluable to us in so many ways!