Home Study

Guest Jenapher25

Why is it that couples outside of Texas have to redo there homestudy and couple in Texas do not?

Hmmm. . .good question :o I'm sure Elizabeth can fill us all in :huh:

Cathy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean be "re-do"? I know we still had to update our homestudy every so often before placing with Emma Claire....is that what you are talking...updating?

What do you mean be "re-do"? I know we still had to update our homestudy every so often before placing with Emma Claire....is that what you are talking...updating?

I mean start from stratch. :blink:

I'm not sure what Heather is referring to, either.

There is no reason of which I'm aware that someone would need to do "all new homestudies" each time, unless somebody's prior homestudy was grossly insufficient or significantly different (done all in one day, perhaps, rather than multiple interviews over time?) OR if the adoption standards/homestudy policies within their state prohibit updating a prior study that's more than a year old?

But our update requirements don't differ for folks living in-- or out of-- Texas.

Sometimes, we find that clients living out-of-state cannot locate homestudy workers willing to perform "just" an update, for reasons that make no sense to us (unfortunately, it seems that the cost differential between a whole new homestudy vs. an update seems to be a motivating factor at times?)

But Texas standards say that if a family had an original homestudy that met the requirements of our state, then the next time they seek to adopt from Texas again (regardless of where they live or how much time has passed) only an updating of the original study and all supporting checks is required; they not "start again from scratch."

I'm not sure what Heather is referring to, either.

There is no reason of which I'm aware that someone would need to do "all new homestudies" each time, unless somebody's prior homestudy was grossly insufficient or significantly different (done all in one day, perhaps, rather than multiple interviews over time?) OR if the adoption standards/homestudy policies within their state prohibit updating a prior study that's more than a year old?

But our update requirements don't differ for folks living in-- or out of-- Texas.

Sometimes, we find that clients living out-of-state cannot locate homestudy workers willing to perform "just" an update, for reasons that make no sense to us (unfortunately, it seems that the cost differential between a whole new homestudy vs. an update seems to be a motivating factor at times?)

But Texas standards say that if a family had an original homestudy that met the requirements of our state, then the next time they seek to adopt from Texas again (regardless of where they live or how much time has passed) only an updating of the original study and all supporting checks is required; they not "start again from scratch."

Can any social worker update your homestudy, or does it have to be the same one?

I ask because Jay has been offered some positions out of town, which we have considered, and it will figure into our decision with his next offer.

That's really a matter of whether the original worker will release the study (we can't provide a copy because it's not our work product) and whether a new worker is willing to update someone else's work. We've seen plenty of cases wherein it can be done, and some where they just won't.

(It definitely makes a case for asking your original homestudy worker to provide you a duplicate original, signed copy for your keeping at the time that it's done! One infamous agency in Fort Worth reportedly charges their clients a whopping four-figure fee to "let" them take their homestudy with them, if they find a placement elsewhere, even though the same families originally paid that agency another four-figure fee to get that study done, in the first place!!) <_<

Elizabeth,

Thanks so much for all your informational posts regarding homestudies and updates. They have helped us to understand what all must go into our update. The new requirements for 2007 are not as overwhelming as they once seemed. Although, TX requiring an in-home visit within 30 days of placement sure can add to the stress level of a placement involving short or no notice at all. I guess the best we can do is to just be as prepared as possible just in case that arises.

We have printed copies of all the information you have posted and provided it to our SW so we can have everything in order and not overlook any detail. Thanks so much for all you do!

Although, TX requiring an in-home visit within 30 days of placement sure can add to the stress level of a placement involving short or no notice at all.

We had just over 30 days notice between the time we matched and the delivery of Nathan. During that time, there was a 2 week period where we could not link up with our Social worker to complete the homestudy update (that visit within 30 days of placement). It came down to a 7 day window to complete everything and we got it done, but you are right, it would have been very challenging had it been a BOG match.

-Adam

Although, TX requiring an in-home visit within 30 days of placement sure can add to the stress level of a placement involving short or no notice at all.

We had just over 30 days notice between the time we matched and the delivery of Nathan. During that time, there was a 2 week period where we could not link up with our Social worker to complete the homestudy update (that visit within 30 days of placement). It came down to a 7 day window to complete everything and we got it done, but you are right, it would have been very challenging had it been a BOG match.

-Adam

30 days, that would be nice. We officially matched with Meghan's birthmother July 21 and Meg was born July 23. So we didn't have much time, but God allowed it to all work out. Although, the requirement of a SW visit within 30 days was not in place at that time.

-Adam

30 days, that would be nice. We officially matched with Meghan's birthmother July 21 and Meg was born July 23. So we didn't have much time, but God allowed it to all work out. Although, the requirement of a SW visit within 30 days was not in place at that time.

We were matched for over 4 months with our prior match before it dissolved. There are pros and cons to the varied lengths of time.

it would have been very challenging had it been a BOG match.

It would be a challenge, but it can be doable.

I think I would be up for the challenge any day. ;)

I understand that I and I too was ready for anything. It just means and extra flight or two to get things done and get back to baby :) Stressful and expensive maybe , but worth every moment and penny to get the things done to grow your family :)

-Adam

Just adding our situation here...

We are currently doing our annual update including criminal checks. In trying to chat with the agency doing our homestudy about an immediate update (for an imminent placement scenario), they kept asking us, "how are other people able to get an update done so quickly." This always bothered us a bit. We happen to live 100+ miles from our case worker, so that is not an easy one to schedule. And, we all know how long criminal checks can take. We just decided to update now so it won't be as involved when it comes to an update within 30 days of placement.

It is all worth it in the end, but the distance from our case worker is a major factor to consider since the new TX rule states an in-home visit is necessary and a phone update or meeting somewhere else is no longer an option for that 30 day placement rule.

I guess what I'm saying too is to check with your case worker as well about doing urgent updates to get a feel for how they would respond to such a request.

Much more at ease now that we are updating everything even though we will still need to meet the 30 day placement requirement...

Hope

And, we all know how long criminal checks can take. We just decided to update now so it won't be as involved when it comes to an update within 30 days of placement.

This is interesting because our criminal background check with our last update came back in less than 7 days so it seemed to move VERY fast.

I see your point though that with that kind of distance between you and your social worker, it would make spur of the moment appointments very difficult.

-A

We had our homestudy updated once a quarter (I think that is right). I think (I could so be wrong, I am all the time, ask my 13 year old) that that kept us safe from doing any emergency updating at the time. Our birthmoms due date went from Feb 22, to Dec 10, to Nov 22 in a matter of two weeks. I was very glad to have had that update done! (Of course the fingerprinting was a whole other issue..... :o )

And, we all know how long criminal checks can take. We just decided to update now so it won't be as involved when it comes to an update within 30 days of placement.

This is interesting because our criminal background check with our last update came back in less than 7 days so it seemed to move VERY fast.

I see your point though that with that kind of distance between you and your social worker, it would make spur of the moment appointments very difficult.

-A

I'm certain our state ones are back but I will let you know how long our FBI checks take. Wouldn't it be great if our case worker tells us on her visit tomorrow that they are back!

We had our homestudy updated once a quarter (I think that is right). I think (I could so be wrong, I am all the time, ask my 13 year old) that that kept us safe from doing any emergency updating at the time. Our birthmoms due date went from Feb 22, to Dec 10, to Nov 22 in a matter of two weeks. I was very glad to have had that update done! (Of course the fingerprinting was a whole other issue..... :o )

But the only way to stay "current" with your homestudy now based on Texas requirements to have an in home visit within 30 days of placement would be to pay for a homestudy update EVERY 30 days until placment occurred and then you still run the risk of it not being up to date (example: Say you update it on the 1st of every month and you get a call on the 30th that there is a BOG, well, placement wouldn't occur until say about the 3rd of the month and then technically you are 2 days beyond the 30 day limit :rolleyes:) I know that scenario is extreme, but that is just based on a BOG scenario.

Since our agency charges $500 for a homestudy update, I know I'd wait and find a way to get it done when we knew about the BOG and not do a monthly update....

I was very happy with Abrazo's direction and help with this when our original homestudy expired and we knew we would be in need of an update. They encouraged us to have everything done except the last in-home visit so that it could be knocked out quickly in the event of a fast placement but it would keep us from incurring any undue expenditure in the meantime while we waited for the right match and baby to come along :)

-A

We had our homestudy updated once a quarter (I think that is right). I think (I could so be wrong, I am all the time, ask my 13 year old)

Is this what I have to look forward to in....6 yrs old now + 7 = 13....7 years?

You're a riot! :lol:

Edited by HJBurken

Hmmm....I don't really know about 2007 requirements. I just know that is how we did ours back in 2006.

Our homestudy update was $250.

it would have been very challenging had it been a BOG match.

It would be a challenge, but it can be doable.

I think I would be up for the challenge any day. ;)

Melissa, I agree with you. I would be up for the challenge any day.

I was just talking with our SW earlier today about how we would handle the updates and required visit within 30 days of placement. I think we will have her do a visit on a "somewhat" regular basis just to keep things as current as possible. It may be a little more expensive, but I think worth it in the long run. Our SW is very reasonalbe and a visit and update report will be less than $200. She also lives only 10 minutes away from our house so could get her very quickly if necessary.

Our SW is very reasonalbe and a visit and update report will be less than $200. She also lives only 10 minutes away from our house so could get her very quickly if necessary.

Ours as well :) However, the distance is about 1 1/2 hours for our SW :(

Cathy

I heard from a local social worker who quoted me $300 for an update. Does anyone know if that is about the norm for TN.

I was very pleased that she is willing to just do the update and not a full homestudy.

I heard from a local social worker who quoted me $300 for an update. Does anyone know if that is about the norm for TN.

I was very pleased that she is willing to just do the update and not a full homestudy.

I had heard the the typical homestudy update runs about $500, but that was just hearsay, so I don't really know. Seeing the $200 quotes makes it sound like $500 may be on the high side. The extra money was worth it for us because we had used the agency for a while and were very comfortable with them. They'd bend over backwards for us if we needed it to get things done. Our social worker even called us this weekend just to check up on us to see how we were doing :) Our FULL homestudy ran us $1000 I think.

-A