For our Jewish friends

Hmmm, I knew Purim was coming up but totally blanked on the timing since I'm on travel. I'll be with all four of my neices and nephews tomorrow, so maybe I can convince my brothers to go to a Purim festival. I have to agree, it has always been one of my favorite holidays.

And the Abrazo babes should agree... since the main thing you're supposed to do (as an adult, of course) on Purim is to get so drunk that you can't tell the difference between the good guys and the bad guys!! (Now that's a holiday!!) :lol:

And the Abrazo babes should agree... since the main thing you're supposed to do (as an adult, of course) on Purim is to get so drunk that you can't tell the difference between the good guys and the bad guys!! (Now that's a holiday!!) :lol:

How funny! I sent my brother a Purim card yesterday and said "Lest you think that our Jewish roots gave us nothing better than that Ashkenazi cancer gene mutation... we've also got one more reason to PARTY! Happy Purim!" :D (I know, bad joke, but those of you who know our family history may get it.)

Hey-- I have a question for our Jewish friends. I've noticed that on the Jewish websites, they use "g-d" to refer to the Almighty, why is it that they do this? Is that a tradition we non-Jews should apply when posting on this thread, out of respect for those of you who are of this faith?

Hey-- I have a question for our Jewish friends. I've noticed that on the Jewish websites, they use "g-d" to refer to the Almighty, why is it that they do this? Is that a tradition we non-Jews should apply when posting on this thread, out of respect for those of you who are of this faith?

I believe it has something to do with His name being so sacred, it was not to be uttered outside of the Temple, and then only by the High Priest. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember reading something along those lines.

Hi Elizabeth! Glad that your "Jewish roots" are giving you a reason (or excuse!) to celebrate!!

It's funny you bring up the G-D issue, as we just discussed this in one of the theology classes I take with our Rabbi. This is a really interesting topic on which there is a LOT of information!

Some people believe that once you write the name of God down, at some point it will be erased or destroyed. That is, if you write it on a blackboard you will have to erase it, or if you write it on a piece of paper, you may have to discard or destroy it one day. And erasing or destroying God's name may not be permitted (Deuteronomy 12:3-5) and at the very least is disrespectful. Some also analogize it to the tradition/belief that you should not ever tear/burn/destroy a Torah scroll because it contains the name of God. (Although I believe there are halakhic (or jewish legal) ways to get rid of a Torah once it has become unusable -- it may be that you have to bury it?).

Fascinatingly, some Jews believe that since writing on a computer is not permanent, it cannot be destroyed. But once it is printed out, it can be. Therefore, you are permitted to write God's name on a computer, but if it is printed out you must protect that piece of paper.

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/jewfaq/name.htm

In addition, some people believe that God's name itself has power. http://us.geocities.com/changes1611/name41.html

For example, if you say God's name, you will be able to perform (or will have God perform) certain acts. There is also a belief that the High Priest (Gadol Kohen) was the only one allowed to know and speak God's true name, (which may have had 72 letters) on Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton.

God gives Moses a name that can be translated as "I AM the ONE I AM" or "I AM Whatever I need to become" OR "He Who Causes To Exist". Exodus 3:13. Subsequently God says that the Jews may call him by a four-letter name, the Tetragrammaton (Greek for the 4 letters). Exodus 3:13. Jews do not pronounce the Tetragrammaton. Instead whenever Jews read the Tetragrammaton in a prayer, they substitute the word "Adonai" which means My Lord. http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_of_...nai/adonai.html

When referring to God outside of prayer, Jews usually call God "Hashem" which means "The (ineffable) Name".

Jews do not agree on the "true" pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton, which has apparently been lost. Ancient Hebrew did not include any vowels, and so there is disagreement over how to pronounce it. The word evidently fell out of use following the destruction of the Temple. The Tretragrammaton has been translated into English as YWHH or Yahweh.

There many names for God in the Torah. http://www.bibletopics.com/BIBLESTUDY/154.htm Some believe that each of these names represents the way in which He reveals himself through His behavior toward the world. For example, the Patriarchs knew God as El Shaddai (Genesis 35:9-14), to indicate that He could exercise His mastery over nature and perform miracles or "Elohim" when He exercises strict judgment (Genesis 15:2-8). The Tetragrammaton represents His mercy and compassion.

Now back to your question. Should you write G-d or God? Some people find that it is more respectful of God to not write His name (for the reasons stated above - it will be erased, etc.). But others who may agree that God's name shouldn't be pronounced, do not agree that you must write "G-d", since the word "God" is an English translation of a Hebrew word, which is not even one of the names of God in the Torah.

So to make a long, long story short - whether you write God or G-d, is up to you. But some people will disagree with you either way! :blink:

Sorry to have gone on and on, but I find this really interesting! If anyone else has other thoughts about the use of G-d, please chime in!

That is really interesting! Thanks for sharing, Annie - I love to learn about the history, background and reasoning behind beliefs and traditions in faith. I really would love to attend a Passover meal one day - there is a Messianic Jewish Temple down the way from me - so I have no excuse not to check it out!

Laura

That is really interesting! Thanks for sharing, Annie - I love to learn about the history, background and reasoning behind beliefs and traditions in faith. I really would love to attend a Passover meal one day - there is a Messianic Jewish Temple down the way from me - so I have no excuse not to check it out!

Laura

As an FYI-- Messianic Judiasm isn't quite like traditional (or liberal) Judaism... because Messianic Jews (sometimes called "Jews for Jesus," one of the best known Messianic Jewish groups) believe that Jesus was the messiah, there are major differences between them and more traditional Jews (who do not believe that Jesus was the messiah). From what I understand, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, these Jews try to practice within the faith of Jesus (ie Judaism) to better understand who he was and become closer to him.

Nothing wrong with a Messianic temple... just don't expect that an Orthadox/Conservative/Reform/Reconstructionist etc temple will be the same as the Messianic one.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok,

I tried to start this topic under the holiday storage section and it told me that I didnt have permisiion to start a topic there :angry: . So I thought I would post it her and then either Stork Central or the webmaster would put it where it belongs.

So, that being said......HAPPY PASSOVER or GODD PESACH TO ALL :D:D:D

Last night we went to my sisters house and had a great sedar (what we call the passover meal/celebration). It was Skye's 1st and she was very good thru the whole thing which is quite long. We read from the hagadah (book that tells the story of Passover that we read and all take turns reading), hid the afficomen (sp?)which is matzah that is hidden for the kids to find and then they get a present......however, my mom gets a present for all the kids no matter what. Skye really liked all of the singing and laughing that went on as did I.

When it came time for the meal, she LOVED the Matzah ball soup and almost ate a whole one herself. She was so wound up from the niight and was still wide awake at 11:00 at nite :blink::( . Howver, she slept until 10:00 am this morning :D which a tired mommy loved.

I love all of the holidays and sharing them with my daughter and maybe even starting some new traditions. Either way the holidays are so much more fun now :rolleyes: .

Sandi

PS. For those who would like to know more about this holiday check out the attached link.

Passover Holiday information

Good Thread to start Sandi :)

Beth is a full time youth worker at our church (Christian denomination). At this past Sunday's youth time, She (and I) performed a mock Seder with the kids to educate and celebrate Passover. It was mock only in the fact that we had some of the basics but did not have all the courses that would be involved with a normal seder. The kids really seemed to enjoy it.

-A

Edited by Adam & Beth

I am glad you shared this Sandi. I went to a seder many years ago when I was a teenager, but don't really remember anything but that they had an empty chair (I forget who it was for). I like to know about other religions, thanks again for sharing.

So were your ears ringing today? I saw Donna Ennis at the Post Office and we had a brief conversation about you. It's a very small world!

HHHHHMMMMM,

I tried to start a Happy Passover post in the holiday storage area, so people like myself could wish others a good pesach and have at least 1 area on the holiday storage thread thats for a Jewish holiday. I was hoping that it would get moved there and I see it just got lumped together under the generic Jewish thread. <_<

Sandi

HAPPY PASSOVER or GODD PESACH TO ALL

We will be celebrating Pesach on saturday (Just couldn't make it work last night). We have the "short" kid friendly service set up as we will be having 6 of the under 5 set for dinner. The coolest part is all 6 are adopted ( 3 full AA boys, 2 little girls from China and a little caucasion boy, plus one family is currently a PIW in California) Its just such a gift that the process of creating family has also created so many friendships along the way.

So we will be using a Passover book complete with stickers and crayons to help the kids with the Sedar..

HAPPY PASSOVER!

Just for fun, here's an easy-peasy Matzo Ball Soup recipe that's probably just as much fun to read as it is to make... A Soup Recipe to Make the Bubbes Kvell and Shiksas Plotz.

For an inspiring Passover video message for people of all faiths, click here.

And for living proof that Jesus' people truly were (and are) people of extraordinarily good humor (Jackie Mason not withstanding), check out www.jewlarious.com

For an inspiring Passover video message for people of all faiths, click here.

Oh my gosh, Elizabeth, that video is GREAT! You are right - I want to send it to all my friends, both Jewish and Christian! Thanks for sharing it!!

Linda

Here's an important brochure to share: What Every Jewish Woman Needs to Know, compliments of FORCE (FacingOurRisk.org). Share this information with anyone you know who is of Jewish ancestry, because doing so just might save the life of someone special to you!

• 1 month later...

Here's a lovely adoption and reunion story out of Israel: Looking for Alma.

• 2 months later...

I received this recently from the URJ (Union for Reform Judaism) (I get weekly

emails from them on various topics). I thought this midrash was relevant for all PIW!

-------------------------

A story about emunah, confidence, trust, is told about the Chasid (Orthodox Jew)

who sought advice from his Rebbe because he and his wife were childless:

The Rebbe counseled the Chasid to go home and pray daily and, within a

year, a baby would be born. The Chasid did so for a year-then two

years, then three, and still no baby. One day the Chasid stopped at an

inn. He and the Jewish innkeeper began chatting and very soon the

innkeeper confided his sorrow that he and his wife had no children. "My

Rebbe assured me that I would have a child," said the Chasid. "Go to

see him." The innkeeper went and received the same advice as the

Chasid. The next morning, he prayed; then he went to buy a crib.

A year later, the Chasid revisited the inn and was delighted to see a

baby lying in the crib. But he was also troubled. He returned to his

Rebbe, complaining: "You gave him the same advice you gave me, yet he

has a child and I have none."

"Ah," replied the Rebbe, "but he went out and bought a crib!"

I received this recently from the URJ (Union for Reform Judaism) (I get weekly

emails from them on various topics). I thought this midrash was relevant for all PIW!

-------------------------

A story about emunah, confidence, trust, is told about the Chasid (Orthodox Jew)

who sought advice from his Rebbe because he and his wife were childless:

The Rebbe counseled the Chasid to go home and pray daily and, within a

year, a baby would be born. The Chasid did so for a year-then two

years, then three, and still no baby. One day the Chasid stopped at an

inn. He and the Jewish innkeeper began chatting and very soon the

innkeeper confided his sorrow that he and his wife had no children. "My

Rebbe assured me that I would have a child," said the Chasid. "Go to

see him." The innkeeper went and received the same advice as the

Chasid. The next morning, he prayed; then he went to buy a crib.

A year later, the Chasid revisited the inn and was delighted to see a

baby lying in the crib. But he was also troubled. He returned to his

Rebbe, complaining: "You gave him the same advice you gave me, yet he

has a child and I have none."

"Ah," replied the Rebbe, "but he went out and bought a crib!"

I love this story! :D

Awesome story Annie and/or Eric!

Thanks for sharing...I'm assuming you have your crib!! ;):D

• 4 weeks later...

I just happened to run across a ten year old article about an Israeli genetic database being launched after an adoption scandal there: read this. Wonder if this project ever got off the ground and if so, how it's working for people there?

I'd never heard of this historical mystery before, but I'm not surprized; it seems every age and every culture has had its turn in the spotlight, when it comes to adoption scandal, from the Irish Catholic laundresses to the stolen Aborigine kids to the sale of the Romanian orphans to the seizure of Native American children in the U.S... what is that old saying? "Those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it." Can't help but think that the current mess in Guatemala will one day hold its place on this list as well.

For those who want to learn more about the Israeli adoption mystery, check out: More Tales of the Missing Yemenite Children

For a more current adoption scandal of interest to the Jewish community, see: How Rosa Lost Her Kids.

• 2 weeks later...

“Before us lies a new day, ours to create by the strength of our faith."
L'Shanah Tovah Tikatevu

“Before us lies a new day, ours to create by the strength of our faith."

L'Shanah Tovah Tikatevu

And the same to you!

• 2 months later...

Happy Hannukah to all my forum family.

May you all enjoy the season of miracles

The Kristall Family

http://www.amazon.com/What-Makes-Someone-L...350&sr=1-42

I got this book last week and it is an AMAZING book for Jews transracial families...LOVED IT!!!!