For our Jewish friends

Happy New Year to all of my forum friends. The Jewish holiday of Rosh Hasanah begins with sunset tonight. This will be the VERY 1st time I have been to Temple during the Jewish Holy Days and I will be taking my boys to a special children's service. As I was researching the meaning of this holdiay for myself, I found this link that I would like to share...

http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday2.htm

Happy New Year to all of my forum friends. The Jewish holiday of Rosh Hasanah begins with sunset tonight. This will be the VERY 1st time I have been to Temple during the Jewish Holy Days and I will be taking my boys to a special children's service. As I was researching the meaning of this holdiay for myself, I found this link that I would like to share...

http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday2.htm

Heidi, I'm sure the boys will love the children's service. L'shana Tova to you and to them. Have a happy and a healthy new year-

Lauren and Chuck

• 2 months later...

I just have to brag on my little one :wub:

So, for those who are reading this and don't know - Kayleigh's maternal birthfamily are Jewish. This year (she turns 4 in about a week), I have been making more of an effort to introduce her to Jewish holidays and their significance (baby steps...mostly because I did not grow up Jewish (so I'm learning as I go), nor have I ever had a friend or acquaintence who was Jewish (that is until little Kayleigh came along and I now have a few Jewish friends although none live nearby :( but still, I am hoping to change that if I'd ever get around to contacting this Temple I found not far from where we live...but I digress...that's another topic). So anyway, haven't talked a huge amount about it because I'm not really sure how to bring it up - other than when Kayleigh starts talking about Christmas, I've said, "Hey you know what? There's another holiday coming up that people who are Jewish celebrate and it's called Hannukah - and you know what else? Rachel and her family are all Jewish so I bet they celebrate Hannukah too...then I explain the little I know about Hannukah (the menorah, the story of the Macabees and the oil and how it lasted 8 days and that's why 8 candles are lit, etc etc etc) You know, with a preschooler, you just never know whether or not they're paying attention or not...Well, last night - the three of us were laying in bed reading books and Lance was reading this Christmas book to Kayleigh called the ABC's of Christmas - it had a letter on each page and a word associated with that letter - when we got to

"H", before Lance could even read it - Kayleigh said "I know what starts with "H" - Hannukah (but it was so cute how she pronounced it - wish I would have had a recorder to hear her, she really struggled and stumbled over it" and then she said, "I want to have Hannukah too, we could have candles and a Menorah (and she stumbled over that word too but finally spit it out...without our help :rolleyes: )

Both of us just looked at each other and were just smiling so much and it was such a moment!!! I was so excited that she actually did pay attention when we've talked about it - this felt like major progress and I'm so proud of her!!!! And then, today - a little package arrived (how's that for timing Lauren) and it was from Kayleigh's Jewish Auntie Lauren - it was a Paint-It-Yourself Menorah (which is Kayleigh's first Menorah - what an awesome touching gift - and it will be even more special because she'll be able to paint it herself so when she's older, not only will she know it was her first one but she decorated it too) and it was a set of Menorah candles (made in Israel!!! They're kosher (which I'm still not exactly sure what it means when something is kosher so if one of y'all can explain that to me too and its significance and how important it is to be kosher or not (doesn't it depend on how Jewish you are or something? my friend's friend (who was raised not Orthodox but is now attending an Orthodox temple and is kosher now) said something about some people who are Jewish aren't always kosher or are only kosher certain times of the year but Orthodox are always kosher??? Did I get that right?) And...this little piggy bank type thing called a Tzedakah Box (a ceramic charity box)....which is just perfect because Kayleigh is really into coins these days and has a piggy bank and this will be such a great opportunity to begin to explain to her the meaning of charity and having a giving heart and sharing....Lauren - these mean so much to us - thank you so much!!! I will post a pic of the menorah when Kayleigh gets it all painted...Thank you!!! This was just perfect timing with the discussion we had last night with her.

Shalom all!

Lisa

YAY!!! What perfect timing. (Wish I could claim credit-- I just finally got around to ordering it when I had a break in my travel schedule, so it came at no particular time). So glad you got it, and that Kayleigh will enjoy it. I only wish I could be there with her to light the candles.

I know I owe you the prayers and some good storytelling stuff for both Hannukah and for the tzedakah box. As soon as I get home, I'll get it from the Rabbi.

I'll explain the whole kosher thing to you on a phone call at some point. Generally kosher refers to dietary rules. I have to confess, I'm not sure exactly how candles could be unkosher, unless (maybe?) they have animal fat in them and the animal wasn't killed according to kosher standards. Chuck would have an answer, but he's in Naples and I'm sitting in DC. I'll find out and let you know.

So glad that Kayleigh is getting interested in this stuff!! Hannukah is the perfect holiday to introduce to kids, not (only) because of the presents, but because the story is so cool. Purim is another great holiday-- definitely contact the temple before then, and take Kayleigh to the Purim party. It is all about dressing up like a princess and parading around, which CLEARLY Miss Kayleigh would LOVE!! :D

L

Cool, thanks Lauren!!! I just picked up Kayleigh from preschool and I told her she has a Menorah at home that she gets to paint from our friend Lauren - she was so excited!!! My mom was with us and she wanted to go to Target first and Kayleigh was so bummed, she wanted to go home and get to painting...anyway, while we were at Target, we were looking at Christmas decorations and she wanted to get a star for the top of our tree and I let her pick one out and she said, "We'll have a Hannukah Christmas tree" How funny is that?

Well, speaking of Menorahs...if I don't get hers set up to paint, she's going to have a nervous breakdown (I moved my computer downstairs so it's much more convenient to just log on now which I did as soon as I walked in the door...but I must now get the car unloaded and get her stuff set up).

Thanks again!!!

Lisa

That has to be just about the prettiest menorah I've ever seen!! She sounded like she was having fun painting it in the background. Did you let her break out the glitter pen?!

Lisa... thanks again for your huge heart. Our conversation yesterday was awesome. We'll have to make that a tradition every time I'm back in the US (which seems to be a lot lately!!)

Hi Ladies,

I love the hand paint menhorah. Lauren- can you tell me where to get one for Gabe? I would sure apperiate it. I took the boys to service last night and I know it made an impression because today on the playground her told his friend " We go to Temple and then you tell people Sabbot Shalom" Color me proud!

Hugs

Heidi

Edited by HeidiK

Hey Heidi, the packing list was included with the menorah and it is from Judiasm.com and the item number is 89424

I want to look up and see if they carry any children's shows for Hannukah. Kayleigh has a ton of Christmas shows/movies but the only Hannukah show I know of is 8 Crazy Nights (an Adam Sandler movie) and it's not exactly appropriate for children :huh: If you know of any you can recommend, (or anyone else can)...please let me know!

Thanks,

Lisa

The Ruggrats have the cutest Hanakah special called the "Meany of Hanakah" I watched it with my Dad before the boys and should really try and get me hands on a copy. Thanks for the item infor - I need to order one. WE are having 20 kids over for a Hanakah bash...I so wish you were coming out to visit your sister and then US, LOL

Hugs

I'm trying to find that Rugrats special but no luck so far. I'm actually getting pretty frustrated by the lack of children's holiday/Hannukah DVD's available - do Jewish people not let their kids watch TV or something :blink: ? This is way harder than I expected! I've been googling but hardly come up with anything. That site that Lauren bought Kayleigh's menorah and other gifts from has a section of DVDs, and they even have a Rugrats Hannukah movie...but only in VHS! There is one called Channukah & Passover at Bubbe's - it sort of looks like Sesame Street characters - I think I'll order that one and see how it is. There's also one called Channukah on Planet Matza Ball - this looks interesting - it says it's a PBS production (we're big fans of PBS - we don't have cable so that's where Kayleigh gets her kid show fix from TV) There are a couple others but I think I'll go with those 2. What I don't get is that there are 100 million Christmas DVDs available (believe me, there is! We own about half of them) and every character known to every child has his/her own Christmas DVD...but no Jewish DVDs??? What's up with that?

Argh!

Lisa

Guess what, guess what, guess what?????

I was just doing the annual calendar I do for Lance's mom on Shutterfly (where you customize it with pics) and I previewed it and it now allows you to add an event on the dates (i.e. birthdays, anniversaries, etc) and I added Kayleigh's birthday (which is December 5th) and guess what it says on that day in 2007? Hannukah begins! Coincidence? I think not! It's a sign!!! :P

Your crazy forum friend,

Lisa

Definitely not coincidence. :P

I'll talk to the Rabbi on base tomorrow and see if he has any suggestions. As a TV-baby myself, I can vouch for the fact that Jews definitely let their kids watch!! I'm sure there's some good stuff out there. My friend Jayme used to teach Sunday School, so she may have suggestions as well.

We have 2 Judaica stores that we go to in Boston, near where Chuck grew up, and I believe both of them have websites. Try kolbo (I know they have a website) and the Israel Bookstore (I think that's the name), both in Brookline. Kolbo usually has fancier stuff than Judaism.com but not as wide a selection. And the Israel Bookstore is, obviously, very good for books and movies.

L

Latest Gabism...

As I was making dinner last night, my almost 4 yr old asked if it was "Movie Night" and I said "yes..Friday night is always movie night". Then he headed over to the hutch..opened it and said " If its movie night..then I am ready for Shabbot" Smarty pants!

Latest Gabism...

As I was making dinner last night, my almost 4 yr old asked if it was "Movie Night" and I said "yes..Friday night is always movie night". Then he headed over to the hutch..opened it and said " If its movie night..then I am ready for Shabbot" Smarty pants!

Very cute!

Okay, I feel stupid - what does Shabbot mean??? I know this was a really cute moment (because Gabe is full of those) but I need to understand the reference better :)

Also, just wanted to give a thumbs up to the 2 Hanukah movies I ordered - Kayleigh has watched them pretty much non-stop since they arrived on Friday. The Planet Matzoh Ball one is really funny - probably her favorite - it has these muppet type characters in it and they sing these really catchy tunes ("What do you do with a Menorah? What does a Menorah do?" and "Spinderella, Spinderella")...warning - if you are the type of person who has a hard time getting kid songs out of your head once you hear them - then be sure to leave the room. Also, it's really funny (Kayleigh loves this part) when they're trying to figure out what a Menorah is for and they do all sorts of silly things with it - they ask if it's a Hot dog holder and put hot dogs in it, they ask if it's a crayon holder and put crayons in it, all sorts of silly stuff - Kayleigh was cracking up and talking to the TV going - "No Silly! You put candles in it!"

I still haven't called the temple yet - not sure that I'll get that done in time for Hanukah this year - the first night of Hanukah this year is December 16th so I think I will try to go through the 8 nights of Hanukah with Kayleigh this year solo, just winging it. Heidi (or anyone else for that matter), any ideas on what to do each night? Do we just light the candle and talk about the significance of Hanukah (I'm getting really good with the story now after watching those shows so much) It sounds like the last night is the big night (is that when you have a Hanukah party?) I may even try to make Potato Latkes this year - doubt Kayleigh would eat them but nothing new there because she really doesn't eat much of anything (food/meals are such a chore for her).

Okay, so anyway - any tips on what to do (low key since I obviously won't be hosting a Hanukah party at my house this year :rolleyes: and Heidi - I just may take you up on that offer if you're having one next year - since Hanukah is so early in December, I may be able to squeeze in a trip to visit my sister and would LOVE to come see you guys during Hanukah so Kayleigh could really see what it's all about!!! Gosh - how I wish I could be there this year!!!) would be appreciated - I feel like such a fish out of water!!! (ha ha - what a funny reference to my Orientation group name.....)

Okay - it's bathtime for the priness now - off I go!

Lisa :)

Hey - silly question - when/how do you use the phrase "Mazel Tov" (or did I spell it right?)

Lisa, check out the following site for prayers and explinations of how to say them and light the candles:

http://www.torahtots.com/holidays/chanuka/brachot.htm

Bottom line, start on the first night (Dec 15th this year) with the middle candle (usually)-- the one that is "different" than the rest because of its height or non-proximity to the other candles (called the shamesh). Light that with a match or lighter, and light candles from right to left. The first night, you start with one candle on the far right and the shamesh. The second night, you'll have the two right-most candles and the shamesh. And on, and on. You'll have enough candles in the box to do 2+3+4+5... for the full 8 nights.

On the first night, you'll say all three prayers listed on the website above. (They also have a link to hear the blessings said, so you can hear how the "transliteration" actually sounds when someone reads it-- you don't have to sing the songs, we never do, we just say them). The last prayer on the list, called the shechechianu (you'll note that nobody spells hebrew words the same in English... which is liberating since you can spell it however it actually sounds to you!)... anyway, the shechechianu is an "all purpose" prayer that you say anytime you get to a joyous occassion (or, for that matter, any occassion) thanking god for bringing you safely to this point. By training or choice, I find myself actually saying it to myself somewhat often when things are going well, or really not so well.

Same basic website has a good Chanukah story:

http://www.torahtots.com/holidays/chanuka/chanstr.htm

As for latkes, I have a great (and not terribly difficult) recipe, but be warned, they're MESSY. Let me know if you want it (Lisa, Heidi, or anyone else), and I'll type it out for you. It comes from Grandma Doralee Patankin's Jewish Cookbook (Mandy Patankin's mom), and the cookbook itself has all sorts of easy-to-make Jewish stuff. Being a reformed Midwesterner, this is the cookbook I love, since everything is dump-in-a-bowl and shove-in-the-oven, for the most part.

As for Mazel Tov... it is a general term for congrats. (It really means "good luck" but is used in the "wow, that's great luck, congrats" way, not the "good luck with what you have coming up" way).

And as for Shabbot (Shabbos, Shabbat, whatever), it is the end-of-week rest day (from Friday night to Sat afternoon). Christians celebrate the same basic holiday on Sundays. This is the day that god rested after making the world-- Christians, Jews, and Muslims just have a different interpretation of which day he started making the world, so therefore which day he rested. Some Jews keep "shomer shabbos," where they do absolutely no work throughout the 25 hours... no cooking, no turning on lights (electricity makes someone else work, so it is off limits), no driving (used to use horses, and "driving" would make them work, now it is just tradition not to drive). Most non-Orthodox Jews don't keep things that strictly, but try to make Shabbat "family day" or try to start other family traditions. (Growing up, we pretty much ignored it altogether, though Chuck and I want to start some cool traditions as a family when we have kids). I can send you some of the cool things to do for it-- especially the ceremony saying "goodbye" to Shabbat on Saturday nights (called Havdalah), which has some really incredible traditions that go along with it.

Glad the movies are good. I'm sure I'll ask you about them again when we have kids old enough to watch.

Lisa, you can always email me with more questions. I'd hold off on calling the temple until after Chanukkah anyway. Things are bound to be hectic and crowded. For sure try to make it for Purim. That's the best kids holiday in my book.

L

the first night of Hanukah this year is December 16th so I think I will try to go through the 8 nights of Hanukah with Kayleigh this year solo, just winging it. Heidi (or anyone else for that matter), any ideas on what to do each night?

Lisa

Here is a link for ideas to celebrate Hanukkah, along with arts and crafts and other activities. I hope this is what you were looking for.

When you open the page, scroll all the way down to the bottom and look for the section on the left hand side that says Holiday Traditions. At the bottom of that section is Hanukkah Celebration. Click on that line and it will take you to the Hanukkah page.

www.familyfun.go.com/parties/

Lisa,

The 1st night of Hanakah is always sundown the NIGHT before..so we will light the 1st Candle tomorrow (friday). We will be heading off to Temple after eating dinner, exchanging gifts and lighting the candles. The 1st night I give the kids gifts, and they will exhange gifts. In our family, then gifts from Grammie another night, Pappa...ect. Everyone gets a candle or I fill in with smaller itmes, like books, games. Of course, Santa comes too :P

Happy Hanukkah to all our friends and families of the Jewish faith!

Baruch ata Adonai, elohanu melech ha olam, sheheheyanu, v'kiyimanu, v'higiyanu, lazman ha zeh. (Blessed are you our God, Ruler of the world, who has given us life, sustained us, and has brought us to this season.)

In this season of giving, here's a word of inspiration for Jews and non-Jews, too, about what it takes to become a mensch... surely a worthy goal for anyone's New Year!

(For the rest of we goyim who may be "in the dark" about this important holiday, here's a starter course on the Festival of Lights... and just for fun, check out the Yiddish Glossary.)

• 2 months later...

Happy Purim everyone!! Here's a description of the history and traditions of Purim ; Here is another Purim link

Purim is the funnest Jewish celebration! Traditionally the entire Book of Esther is read and acted out by enthusiastic (and cross-dressing) congregants and kids (and in our case - our Rabbi, who looks wonderful in a dress!). People make noises (using old-fashioned groggers or just booing) whenever the name "Haman" (the bad guy in the story) is read. Afterwards our synagogue has carnival games.

The traditional food is hamentaschen ("Haman's hats" - triangular cookies with apricot or fig or chocolate filling). Adults are supposed to drink so much you can't tell the difference between the bad guy (Haman) and the good guy (Mordechai)!

Is anyone else going to celebrate Purim this year?

You don't say!! I couldn't access your Purim links but I wanted to, because about two hours ago, when I was reading my boys their bedtime tales, we went to finish up with a Bible story (as we do each night) and since they couldn't agree on which story they wanted to hear, I suggested the three of us hold their Children's Bible together, then let the page fall open to any story and that would be the one we read before turning out the light.

So we did. And it did. And so it came to pass that tonight, of all nights, our story, of all stories, was that of Esther asking the King to invite Haman to have dinner with them, then finding the courage to speak up and ask the King for his help in saving the Hebrew people-- unbeknownst to the King-- her people, whom their dinner guest had urged the King to destroy.

I just went on the Internet to search for more information about Purim, and here's a particularly telling passage from the text at Judaism 101:

The book of Esther is unusual in that it is the only book of the Bible that does not contain the name of G-d. In fact, it includes virtually no reference to G-d. Mordecai makes a vague reference to the fact that the Jews will be saved by someone else, if not by Esther, but that is the closest the book comes to mentioning G-d. Thus, one important message that can be gained from the story is that G-d often works in ways that are not apparent, in ways that appear to be chance, coincidence or ordinary good luck.

...Indeed!!! ;)

Because what were the odds, of all the bedtime Bible stories the page could've fallen open to on this particular evening?

HAG PURIM SAMEACH :)

We missed out this year...so we'll try again next year.

Elizabeth - what an amazing coincidence!!! (of course, there are no coincidences, right??!)

I had heard that the Purim megillah (as the Torah scroll holding the entire Book of the Bible is called -- hence the phrase "the whole megillah"!) did not contain the name of God. I love the idea that it's because God works in mysterious ways. And of course He does!

The story is more obviously about how important it is to maintain your identity, even when you are faced with annihilation. It has also been interpreted as a lesson for modern Jews to keep their Jewish identity when faced with assimilation. Esther had already been accepted into Ahasueres' court and could easily have "passed" as a non-Jew. But Mordechai convinced her that she should remember and protect her heritage and family, even if it meant that she could have been put to death for letting the King know that she was Jewish.

The importance of honoring our heritage and family is an important lesson to learn for all families -- and particularly for multi-cultural families, as well!

Sorry about not posting the links correctly! I still can't exactly figure out how to post them. Here are the websites (you can paste them into your web browser):

www.jewfaq.org/holiday9.htm

http://www.holidays.net/purim/