Cancer Survivors Welcome Here!

Guest k&shope

Guest k&shope

I am just investigating the process of adoption.  My biggest question is if as adoptive parents your health has to be "perfect".  My husband has battled cancer and won--almost four years ago! His latest checkups are all clear (blood test and CAT scan)...

But I worry that even writing that word on our intial app. will immediately disqualify us.  It's really the main reason we have not investigated adoption before...

thanks....

Oh, and just reading the posts on this site from adoptive parents and birth moms alike make my heart sing.  Whether we can do this or not, I'm so glad a place like this is here for children.

As long as your husband's doctor will verify that your husband currently is in good health and up to the challenges (physical and mental) of raising a child AND that his condition poses no threat to the health/well-being of a child in your home (which it shouldn't), then you most likely won't have a problem adopting.  I am a cancer survivor (14 years now!) and currently am in remission (3 years now!) with an incurable liver disease, but we were able to adopt our three wonderful daughters!  And, I know that in one of the orientations we were in, there was another couple there with a husband that had Hodgkins lymphoma -- they are proud parents now too!  So, my advice to you is GO FOR IT!!!!

Good news! All of Abrazo's extra-wonderful clients are mere mortals!, great as they are, so most adopting parents with medical proof of a "normal" life expectancy do qualify (pending appropriate expectations and qualifications in the areas of child placement and openness.) The majority of our successful clients are likewise survivors of some life challenge or the other, so get that inquiry or application in and let's see what we can do to help! Know also that some of our dearest Forum members have also conquered cancer, so you're among friends, here! Welcome... Make yourselves at home!

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to post a word of welcome to prospective parents who may be cancer survivors!! You're not alone; Abrazo is proud to have placed with a number of folks over the years who have overcome not only infertility but cancer, too, and as long as your doctors can affirm that you should have a normal life expectancy in order to parent, we welcome your application.

Because life holds no guarantees for any of us! And we know that.

But there are children in need of loving homes, out there, and life holds no guarantees for them, either, so whatever we can do, together, to try to ensure them a brighter future; let us work towards that goal. (And who better than a survivor, to teach kids how to negotiate all of life's uncertainties and still stop and smell the flowers, along the way?!) wink.gif

Just wanted to post a word of welcome to prospective parents who may be cancer survivors!! You're not alone; Abrazo is proud to have placed with a number of folks over the years who have overcome not only infertility but cancer, too, and as long as your doctors can affirm that you should have a normal life expectancy in order to parent, we welcome your application.

Because life holds no guarantees for any of us! And we know that.

But there are children in need of loving homes, out there, and life holds no guarantees for them, either, so whatever we can do, together, to try to ensure them a brighter future; let us work towards that goal. (And who better than a survivor, to teach kids how to negotiate all of life's uncertainties and still stop and smell the flowers, along the way?!) wink.gif

38773[/snapback]

Amen! Thanks for writing this Elizabeth. It will definitely reassure folks like me who are just starting their adoption journey.

Hope you don't mind I underlined and bolded my favorite lines, but you know us Jersey folks...we're pretty pushy!!! wink.gif

Thanks again,

Veronica

Edited by veronica&david

WHOO-HOO to all of us cancer survivors!

I'm a 17-year survivor of cervical cancer ... and blessed beyond words to be in remission with Hepatitis C for almost 6 years now!

Thankfully, none of that stopped me from being mommy to three fabulous girls!

Anybody else out there????

smile.gif

As pedicatirc Oncology nurse for the past 15 years, a great day is when the kid you cared for 12 years ago sends the pictures of her holding her beautiful baby. Adopted children or Not.... most survivors understand the fragility and the sweetness found in all things. I hope all people young and old live long healthy lives full of dreams that have come true.

• 1 month later...

Help out with research monies for cervical cancer by ordering this free bracelet kit! Since this is "my" cancer, the cause is near and dear to my heart!

http://www.maketheconnection.org/default.asp

I ordered one too. Thanks for the tip. I will pass along the info.

And you are near and dear to many forum hearts, FeelingBlessed!! smile.gif

For others of you out there who, like myself, went through life thinking cancer was not on your family radar screen, only to face a rude awakening upon the diagnosis of a beloved relative (or yourself), here's a link to a special website offering support for those facing hereditary cancer risks: www.facingourrisk.org

Sign me:

BRCA-1+

Grateful thyroid cancer survivor since 2004

Grateful breast cancer survivor since 2001

• 2 weeks later...
I am a 19 month brain tumor survivor and tumor free! Thankfully it has not stopped me from being mommy to two awesome boys!

Anybody else out there?

48354[/snapback]

Congratulations Anne! smile.gif

I am a soon to be (July 11th) 5 year breast cancer survivor. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Five years ago at this time I was preparing for major surgery; I could never have imagined I would ever be preparing for a baby. Yet, here we are!!! Thank God.

Blessings and good health to all of my fellow Survivors!

Veronica

• 11 months later...

In honor of my Grandmother, my Aunt and many friends, when I return from Iraq, my Sister, myself and anyone who wishes to join our team is going to do the 3 -day walk for cancer.

• 8 months later...

Cancer is so limited ...

It cannot cripple love

It cannot shatter hope

It cannot corrode faith

It cannot destroy peace

It cannot kill friendship

It cannot suppress memories

It cannot silence courage

It cannot invade the soul

It cannot steal eternal life

It cannot conquer the spirit.

Thank you for that beautiful post. I have copied it and am sending it to my 18 year old Godsister (family friend) who was recently diagnosed with Acute Leukemia. I hope this will help to lift her spirits.

Cancer is so limited ...

It cannot cripple love

It cannot shatter hope

It cannot corrode faith

It cannot destroy peace

It cannot kill friendship

It cannot suppress memories

It cannot silence courage

It cannot invade the soul

It cannot steal eternal life

It cannot conquer the spirit.

A very nice poem indeed. Working at Children's Cancer hospital everyday lets you see that cancer does not descriminate based on one's age, but these young persons' strong will, and their glowing personalities sure let you know that their illness is not going to get the better of them (if they can help it).

It sure makes one grateful too to have one's health.

May God grant all those suffer from this serious illness much peace and healing.

Signed,

the son of a mother who is now 5+ years cancer-free :) God is good!

• 5 months later...

An inspiring story of a Colorado mom-by-adoption and her refusal to let cancer slow her down: read this.

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess I can't consider myself a cancer survivor yet. I'm right in the midst of it. I went in for my adoption physical at the beginning of August and the doc felt a mass in my abdomen. I went from there to my OB who ordered an ultrasound. He said I had an 8 inch cyst that he wanted to take out immediately before it ruptured. They also took out my right ovary because the cyst was growing all around it. A few days later I had it taken out, but they said there was a suspicious growth on the cyst. They had to do tests and retests. They found out it was malignant and weeks later we found out that it is a very rare ovarian cancer with no studies on it.

I then had to go in for a second surgery because the biopsy showed my left ovary had cancer also. This time they took out ovary, uterus, lymph nodes...

Those biopsy (except ovary) came back cancer free!! They said the cancer was in stage 1. I now am going through some chemo treatments as a "precaution" since not much is known about it.

I guess we got lucky!! We may not have found it early enough if it wasn't for the adoption physical. It was hard at first knowing we had to stop out adoption plans again, but we know we have to focus on my health and getting better.

Just wanted to share my story - writing about this usually helps me cope.

-Rebecca

Rebecca,

I'm getting chills (the good kind). That is amazing. I think you're right - without the adoption physical, who knows. You surely have some extra special angel(s) watching over you and helping you to be totally healthy for when your family grows someday. Sending prayers your way. I'm sure it's totally frustrating.

Thanks for posting and letting us be there for you. :)

Lots of love,

Suzi & Ben

Rebecca,

Sending hugs your way Rebecca. Keeping you in our prayers. I too feel this has happened for a reason. God has a plan for us all. He planned for you to get all better before building your family. I'm sure you were frustrated in the beginning, but it is a true blessing it was found at an early stage. So "when" you start expanding your family with a little one, you will be full of energy that you are going to need. Because remember at Abrazo it is not "IF" but "When". Thanks for sharing your story, and as Suzi said, the Forum Family is all here for support and ready to listen.

Have a great weekend.

Hugs,

Tracey