Cancer Survivors Welcome Here!

Guest k&shope

Heidi,

I'd have to agree with you. There is no way I would even think about adopting right now (even if it was allowed through an agency). I am 3 months cancer free but still worry about it coming back. I would even be hesitant if I was cancer free for a year. I realize the cancer my never come back but I would be so sad if we adopted and it came back soon after. The child would then have to deal with me going through treatments and possibly losing the battle. I don't understand this couple's thoughts. Hopefully it works out for the best. I would think they would want to wait a little while to give them some security on the cancer not returning.

I realize anything can happen to anyone at anytime but I have something that I know about already.

-Rebecca

Rebecca,

So glad to hear from you and that your doing well.

Tracey

Rebecca-

May this be the year for celebration and renewal for you and your husband. May God find you in a peaceful place right now. God Speed :D

Rebecca-

The emotional aspect of healing is as important as healing from the treatment side effects. My wish for all cancer survivors is a peaceful heart and to let go of that fear of return so that you and all can feel "whole" again. Letting go of that fear - means trusting that no matter how much time you have with your kids (important also to the 47yr old mom of a 3 and 7 yr olds)its valuable, important and meant to be. And you might be blessed with a lifetime together. I worry about my fiends SIL and her ability to emotionally bond with these babies, that effect on the children and the toll caring for twins will have on her healing. I pray for the best for all.

And for you Rebecca - I wish you nothing but a peaceful heart and lifetime of remission, and the chance to make your dreams come true -no matter what path you decide

xoxo

Heidi

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to share an important new resource for those interested in HAVING CHILDREN AFTER CANCER.

And don't miss this interview with Gina Shaw, the author of "Having Children After Cancer: How to Make Informed Choices Before and After Treatment and Build the Family of Your Dreams." (She shares some thoughtful insights for those who worry that birthmoms might shun prospective adopters who have conquered cancer.)

Be sure to also check out FERTILE HOPE, which is a LiveStrong Initiative.

See also Becoming a Parent After Cancer Treatment.

For those wondering how testicular cancer may impact their fertility options: Having Kids After Cancer

And for those for whom conception is still a possibility, see Pregnancy After Breast Cancer.

Another reading, addressing adopting after cancer: CANCERPOINTS

If finances are an issue, after cancer treatment, consider this mom's solution: From Cancer to Foster-to-Adopt.

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to add this story to this thread: A Story of Cancer, Adoption & Hope.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just wanted to share and encourage anyone that might be looking into Abrazo for an agency and might have fears about not getting approved because you are a cancer survivor. When your heart wants very badly to parent a child, yet you don't know if that will ever happen and live in a state of hope, sometimes fear can "ooooch" in and try to get the best of you. Please take peace in the fact that you are a survivor and that Abrazo will absolutely not hold that against you. In fact, we shared with Abrazo that my husband is a cancer survivor and not only did they accept us, but they helped create our family!

• Upvote 2

Merae, thank you for your post and for your encouragement for cancer survivors considering adoption. It's so great to hear that Scott is fine now and that you now have a beautiful family! Again, congratulations on the finalization and the forever family you now have!

I am a cancer survivor myself--diagnosed with ovarian cancer 17 years ago and "cured" a few months later after a couple of surgeries and a few cycles of chemo. Elizabeth's welcoming posts on this blog are so encouraging and open and she is right that such experience gives a different perspective on how to appreciate each day, each person in your life, each experience....I do hope that such perspective carries over to my parenting and we can focus on important things in life and let go of small things. Also, people who have had a health wake up call often take a better care of themselves afterwards, eating well, exercising, etc, and may be more tuned into taking a very good care of the family and creating healthy habits for their child.

Unfortunately, cancer is so prevalent these days but fortunately, most are curable. I do think that it's important to have the confidence that one is equipped with the energy and the health to raise a child through early adult years. As everyone has already posted here, there are no guarantees for anything in life, but I feel that that conviction, whether a cancer survivor or not, is a necessary starting point for becoming a parent.

Abrazo gets all this: If you have experienced trials in health, don't hesitate to give them a call. I wanted to add a word of encouragement also!!

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Abrazo had several cancer survivors in attendance at our Parents of Tomorrow orientation last weekend, so we found this article to be particularly timely:

http://articles.philly.com/2015-08-10/news/65383393_1_cancer-survivors-adoption-agencies-breast-cancer

If you haven't seen this poem, may it lend you both strength and encouragement!

"What Cancer Cannot Do"

Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit.