Cancer Survivors Welcome Here!

Guest k&shope

Me too! In spite of her setbacks, Rebecca has always been an encouragement to others on their journey to parenthood. I'm praying that her journey is smooth sailing these days.

Yes Bryan and Rebecca we have been thinking of you. Hope all is well.

Heather

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to pass this along for anyone who could use this kind of help: CLEANING FOR A REASON

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the thoughts everyone! I have no idea where the time has gone. I just said to Bryan the other day that I hadn't been on the Abrazo forum in forever. I have been working and finishing up chemo treatments. I would come home and pretty much crash. I was going to bed (and still do) at 8:00 sometimes! I am feeling pretty good. I finished chemo treatments at the beginning of Nov. They said everything looked great. I had some options on what to do from there (chemo once a month being one of them <_< ) I chose to have a check up every 6 weeks. I couldn't even think about doing that!

Sorry to worry you all.

Rebecca

Just wanted to welcome back Rebecca!

And I also want to share prayer requests on behalf of Abrazodad Bob J. of Wisconsin, who was recently diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer and is undergoing chemo, and Abrazomom Annette L. of San Antonio, who has been struggling with a recurrence of breast cancer this year.

Keeping all who are fighting valiant cancer battles within Abrazo's greater family in our prayers this holiday season...

Thank you for the thoughts everyone! I have no idea where the time has gone. I just said to Bryan the other day that I hadn't been on the Abrazo forum in forever. I have been working and finishing up chemo treatments. I would come home and pretty much crash. I was going to bed (and still do) at 8:00 sometimes! I am feeling pretty good. I finished chemo treatments at the beginning of Nov. They said everything looked great. I had some options on what to do from there (chemo once a month being one of them <_< ) I chose to have a check up every 6 weeks. I couldn't even think about doing that!

Sorry to worry you all.

Rebecca

Still here cheering cheering cheering for you Rebecca! Sending you prayers for great things in 2010 and NO CANCER! :)

HOORAY REBECCA! Such great news. Keeping you in our prayers to be cancer free for many many years to come.

Blessings,

Tracey

Hey everyone. I went to the doctor today. Everything looks good still - 2 months cancer free. I know I have a long way to go, but every day counts!!

Rebecca,

I am so happy for you! WHen I read about your experiences I immediately thought of my cousin, who adopted two kids internationally and last year was diagnosed with melanoma. She opted not to have chemo after her surgery and is now cancer free! Everyday definitely counts.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Corinne

Hey everyone. I went to the doctor today. Everything looks good still - 2 months cancer free. I know I have a long way to go, but every day counts!!

Excellent indeed!

AWESOME NEWS!!!!!

Cancer free is awsome! I'm so happy for you. Hoping that your body will start to heal and continue to fight against cancer!

Heather

Sending up prayers of thanks on your behalf, Rebecca! Every day DOES count and we celebrate that truth with you.

As many folks around here know, the issue of hereditary cancer is very near and dear to my heart (and my other parts, too). I received a new study finding from FORCE (Facing Our Risks of Cancer Empowered) this morning that I thought might be relevant to others around here, as well:

New study on infertility and breast/ovarian cancer risks

In a study published in the leading cancer journal, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Dr. Kutluk Oktay, M.D., concluded that mutations in the BRCA1 gene may lead to early diminishment of egg reserve.

This finding may, at least in part, explain why infertility is associated with breast and ovarian cancer risks, similar to women with BRCA mutations. During the study, Dr. Oktay's team performed ovarian stimulation in 126 women with breast cancer for the purpose of fertility preservation by embryo or oocyte cryopreservation. The study concluded that there is an association between low response to ovarian stimulation with fertility drugs and BRCA1 mutations.

Genetic counseling and testing in women with infertility and low response to ovarian stimulation may be worthwhile, especially when there is family history of breast and/or ovarian cancer. Larger studies are warranted to further investigate the link between BRCA mutations and

fertility and improve fertility options for BRCA 1 carriers.

Kutluk Oktay, M.D., F.A.C.O.G. is Director, Division of Reproductive Medicine & Infertility, Director, Laboratory of Molecular Reproduction and Fertility Preservation, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology at Westchester Medical Center, and Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Medicine and Cell Biology & Anatomy at New York Medical College. Further information can be found on Dr. Oktay's website at http://www.fertilitypreservation.org.

I got a call last night from a dear friend who's sister-in-law was dx with Ovarian cancer this time last year. I have met her a few times, nice lady. She had 4 major surguries this year and 6 months of chemo which finished right after Thanksgiving. On Dec 5th and attorney called and they adopted twins last week. The babies are still in the hospital for another week or so.

I was horrified that this happened, the poor lady hasn't had a chance to heal from the past year of treatment, nor has she had tests yet to show she is even in remission. While- I do beleive that every cancer survivor what wishes to be come a parent - should have the chance to follow their hearts....but seriously this seems like jumping the gun. I couldn't even fake happiness, I am such a bad lier.

Since its private - no home study or anything is done at the beginning - so its up to the attorney to make the decisions. Who knows if they even told him she was finishing treatment. But it makes me think that some type of standards that apply across the board are important to make sure the kids are given the best opportunity to thrive.

I pray for all involved, most for continued health and a life time of happiness.