Cancer Survivors Welcome Here!

Guest k&shope

Congrats Rebecca!!! Can you start your adoption journey again? Cheering you and your hubby on! :)

Heather

Congrats Rebecca!!! Can you start your adoption journey again? Cheering you and your hubby on! :)

Heather

I was wondering the same thing too, Heather! You'll have to let us all know, Rebecca :) And, congratulations on your very exciting news B)

Cathy

Congratulations Rebecca!! Hooray for you! So happy for you.

Tracey

Well, I've finished my last treatmen (December 23). :D:lol: I felt okay for Christmas, just a little tired. I am now today actually feeling I can get off the couch and do some cleaning. <_< I go for another CAT SCAN next week.

So I went through a period of feeling sorry for myself which makes me really mad at myself. :angry: I got to thinking that it's been 4 years since we tried to start a family. We found out we couldn't so looked into adoption. Once we committed to adoption I was okay and started feeling happy again. We were so looking forward to soon having a little one to love. We had friends having problems also with getting pregnant so we had a couple of people to share our feelings with. Fast forward to now. We are still in limbo because of the cancer and all our friends have now had their babies. I'm am so happy for them but I feel like we've been left in the dust.

I know I need to take care of myself first. I know God has a plan for us and it may not be the one we thought it would be. We have to be patient.... I know all the sayings because I say them to myself all the time.

Rebecca -

Congrats on finishing!! Another hurdle down! I am cheering for you!!!

Like you, my husband and I have also had a bit of a rollercoaster ride. Although I was not diagnosed with cancer, my diagnosis caused the doctoris to tell my husband to start making plans because they didn't think that I "was going to make it". Since then, we too have had the joy (said in sarcasm) of going through the wonderful chemo treatments, then being told that we could not have a kid, then that it was okay to try, back to we shouldn't have kids, then to yes we can, but with the stipulation that, when we adopted, the child needs to be able to sleep through the night, and finally back to the go ahead to adopt an infant again.

When someone is faced with medical issues as well as infertility issues, it seems as if there is more hurdles than there are smooth surfaces....but, coming from someone who has gone through the hurdles, there are definitely some things to be thankful about......

Just remember that you have a great support system not only in Bryan, but also her on the forum. We are all pulling for you!!!

Hey everyone,

Went to the doctor today to get my Cat Scan results. Everything looks great. :lol::lol::lol:

I will be going in every 3 months for awhile but I am technically in remission. What a relief. Hoping never to have to go through chemo again.

-Rebecca

Wonderful!!!

Wow,

Thank you everyone for the support. I'm not sure when we can start the adoptions process again. When I first found out about the cancer I was told I needed to be cancer free for a year in order to begin again. I will just need to talk with the Abrazo ladies to find out for sure. When I know I'll let y'all know :D

P.S.

Karen,

Thank you for lighting a candle for me.

Leni,

It sounds like you and your family have gone through so much. I'm glad you are now part of the Piggybackers!!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I know there are chemo nurses on here somewhere. I have a question.....

After I finished my chemo treatments I have had joint/bone achiness. It started about 2 weeks after my last treatment. It is usually when I get off the couch. I notice it in the middle of the night also in my fingers. I thought it was lack of exercise, but is it due to the chemo meds? Will it go away or am I stuck with this old lady feeling forever???

My mom has it too Rebecca, neuropathy (sp?) is what they told her. Her dr. said it gets better sometimes without going away and sometimes it never goes away and sometimes it does. She has alot of numbness/tingly/achey feelings in her feet and hands coupled with arthritis she had before that was aggrivated by the treatment. :( I'm not a nurse, maybe Heidi or someone will have more/better insight.

• 1 month later...
Okay, I know there are chemo nurses on here somewhere. I have a question.....

After I finished my chemo treatments I have had joint/bone achiness. It started about 2 weeks after my last treatment. It is usually when I get off the couch. I notice it in the middle of the night also in my fingers. I thought it was lack of exercise, but is it due to the chemo meds? Will it go away or am I stuck with this old lady feeling forever???

I was thinking about this today and thought it worth mentioning...my mom also went to a chiropractor. He did some weird treatments that released cleansing chemicals in her body that helped get rid of the poison from chemo and that helped her pain alot. (I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't have seen it!) She also drank a cranberry juice/lime juice/apple cider vinegar/water concoction that was great for cleansing with again, helped relieve her pain.

Here's something for the 'putting up a praise' thread...my mom put her hair in rollers today!!! She was so happy to finally have enough hair to roll it, it was beautiful!

I just wanted to share the link for the Look Good, Feel Better program, which is funded by various cosmetic companies (like MAC and Estee Lauder and others) and provides free products, makeovers and cosmetic pointers for women undergoing cancer treatment. This was a real spirit-lifter for my late mother, during her battle with cancer, so if you know of someone who might benefit, encourage them to check this out!

• 3 months later...

Interesting story... Finding Comfort from Adoption. Granted, most adoption agencies are hesitant to place with those who have current or recent cancer diagnoses not because they question the ability of cancer patients or cancer survivors to be good parents, but because of the need to try to shield children who have already suffered the loss of two parents any additional pain of loss in their early developmental years. Here's hoping this child and the parents she adopted have ample time to enjoy a healthy life together!

I so hope the mother lives a long and healthy life. I would feel so bad for the small child if she loses her mom at a young age. But the mom did say nobody knows what will happen. I don't think women who have had cancer should be restricted from being parents, but for myself, I want to make sure I'm healthy before I adopt. I wouldn't want to have to be sick or possibly die when my child was young. Although that can happen if I had cancer or not.

-Rebecca

• 4 months later...

MEDIA OPPORTUNITY

Abrazo's director did an interview today with Gina Shaw, the author of a forthcoming book tentatively entitled Cancer, Baby: You CAN Have Children After Cancer.

Ms. Shaw would like to also interview any interested cancer survivors who have adopted successfully, and/or birthparents who have previously placed with adoptive parents who had a known cancer history at the time of match/placement.

If you have personal experience in this regard and wish to participate, please email ginashaw@vagabondmedia.com, or call 973/509-0899.

Interesting story, about a couple who previously adopted, and have both been diagnosed with breast cancer: Weathering Life's Turbulence With Humor and Hope

• 4 weeks later...

(It's been a few weeks since we've heard any updates on our forum friend, Rebecca... just wanted to post a word of concern here, to let Rebecca and her supportive hubby Bryan know they both remain very much in all our thoughts and prayers! Hope everything is okay, no, make that BETTER THAN OKAY on their end!) ;)

Yes, she is in our thoughts -- I too was just thinking that we hadn't heard from her in a while and missing her around here. Adding my best wishes that she's feeling good.