Our Church just accepted a call from a new Pastor. She has been staying with Marcelo and I for the last 2 weeks. During this time, it has given us the opportunity to explore the season of Lent as a married couple. I just thought it would be nice for us to be able to come together to share some of our thoughts, emotions and convictions here together.

I am a Lutheran by birth. Even though, I have been a Lutheran for so long, I have never felt the deep feelings for committing to Lent as I have now. Maybe, it is having a son and I feel an even deeper responsibility to him or the fact that there is such a renewal of the Holy Spirit stirring in our Church ever since our new Pastor accepted our call.

For the first time in my Christian upbringing, I am practicing the tradition of eating no meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays. Instead of giving something up during lent, we are practicing being better servants. One of the ways I feel I am being called to serve is by committing to is making a conscious effort to reach out to those in need. I am consciously trying to be less judgemental and more empathetic to others as well. Marcelo has committed to donating food to our food pantry every week. Hopefully, these are things we will continue to do year round right?

What about you? Are you feeling called to do more in this season?

Claudia - have you read Purpose driven life? In it, the author Rick Warren, argues that God created each of us for a specific purpose, and that if we don't do our portion of that plan - it doesn't get done. Your comment about "practicing being better servants" reminded me of my reading - as this is one of the major themes of the book.

I know a lot of churches take the 40 days of the Lent to read this book - you read a (short) chapter a day for the 40 days - I have read almost the entire book and was planning to attempt to figure out my 'purpose' during the days of Lent. Warren says that in addition to whatever spiritual gifts you have recieved, your various skills, natural abilities, likes and dislikes, and personal experiences are designed to equip you for the work God wants you to do.

I am currently on chapter 32 which begins:

"He shaped you for a purpose, and he expects you to make the most of what you have been given. He doesn't want you to worry about or covet abilities you don't have. Instead he wants you to focus on talents he has given you to use." Later he goes on that you should not "try to figure out your gifts before volunteering to serve somewhere. Just start serving. You discover your gifts by getting involved ... When it doesn't work out, call it an "experiment," not a failure." In Galations 6:4 "the Bible says, Be sure to do what you should for then you will enjoy the personal satisfaction of having done your work well, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else."

So as you see, I am also striving to be a better servant!

Your sister in Christ - Cat

I'm currently reading that, am on chapter 11. We are using the season to study that book and grow. So far, it is wonderful and very eye-opening. I am striving to improve, myself.

Hi Cat and Marjory,

I have read some of Purpose Driven Life. I never finished. It was a gift to me from one of my patients. I'm glad you reminded me of it, so I can pull it out again and read it.

I'm really, really enjoying it. I wish I had done like the author suggested and read it with a buddy so I could talk about it. I've talked and talked to Bob about it since I started it --- he finally started reading it last night. laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Claudia,

I agree with your thought about you and Marcelo doing extra little things during this season of lent to better yourselves and your lives. I grew up being raised Catholic and I still practice the religion however I remember that we were taught to give up something during lent. Usually it would be chocolate or sodas or something that we really liked but really after the 40 days of so called sacrifice we would go back to eating those things or doing what we gave up again. I wish that more people would emphasize that it would make more sense to take on something different that would improve on their lives or themselves and keep with the committment throughout the year. This is easier said than done for me since I have been so conditioned to give up something although in the last few years I have tried to be aware that the season of Lent is more about my faith and what I can do to improve my relationship with God and the people around me.

Just my thoughts smile.gif

Mona

• 2 years later...

Today is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of the Lenten Season.

May we all use this time to "step back" from our busy schedules and take some time daily to meditate, reflect and reconnect with our spiritual side.

To begin my Lenten journey, I would like to share this prayer I found:

Lenten Prayer for Spiritual Renewal

God, heavenly Father

look upon me and my prayer

during his Holy Season of Lent.

By the good works you inspire

help me to discipline my body and

be renewed in Spirit.

Father, our source of life

I reach out with joy to grasp Your hand

Let me walk more readily in Your ways

Guide me in Your gentle mercy

for left to myself I cannot do Your will.

God of love, bring me back to You.

Send your Spirit to make me strong

in faith and active in good works.

Lord, during this Lenten season

nourish me with your Word of Life

and make me one with You in love and prayer.

Amen