In Memoriam

Today marks one year since Dylan's birthmom died. In her memory we let six baloons go in the air with a note attached saying how much we love and miss her. We chose six because we had the honor of knowing her six wonderful years. Please keep Dylan and Elizabeth's family in your prayers. Thank You. Sherrie T. wink.gif

What a beautiful tribute Sherrie. I will definetly be thinking of y'all and Elizabeth's family.

Everything Dylan is becoming is a tribute to the wonderful kid he is, to the beautiful mom who birthed him, and to the wonderful parents that you are!! You have a very adorable son and I love that you helped him remember his birthmom in such a special way.

Bless you! Bless her! Bless all the folks who love you and who loved her, as well!

• 7 months later...

It is with enormous sorrow that we share with you the news that one of our Forum members and beloved birthfathers was killed this weekend in a car accident in McAllen, Texas.

Mike Delgado was a good man with a ready smile: a hard worker, and a faithful member of our birthparent support group throughout the time that he and his girlfriend Kara were involved with Abrazo. They placed their baby Lily for adoption in late 2004, having joined us that year for Camp Abrazo, when Kara was quite far along in her pregnancy. Mike desperately wanted to attend Camp this year and was registered but didn't feel right about coming without Kara, who was unable to make it. He did, however, come faithfully to several orientation weekends to speak on our birthparent panel, and his testimony was both touching and powerful.

We're going to miss him more than words can say.

In a post under "Birthfathers Matter," Mike once said the following:

"Being a birthfather, I felt that it was, how do I say this? I felt that I needed to know where my child was and how he or she was doing, academically, physically, emotionally, any which way you can imagine, because there's always a bond between you and your child, no matter where they are."

Truly, there will always be a special bond between Mike and his birthdaughter, because the loving adoptive family he and Kara chose for Lily will make sure she grows up knowing all about him and the wonderful human being he was. They thought the world of him, and so did we. We send our condolences to Kara and the children, to the Sheykers, and to Mike's family, and we thank God for the privilege of having known him during his all-too-brief time among us.

How sad for these families. Praying that they find small treasures to pass along to his birthdaughter.

I really feel like I knew Mike (and Kara)... because I got to know his beautiful birthdaughter Lily Ann and her mom, while they stayed with us awaiting interstate compact approval. Mary shared lots of sweet stories with me about how terrific Lily Ann's birthparents are and how lucky she and Mike felt to have Mike and Kara in their life. I am certain Lily Ann will always know this. My prayers are with them all as they grieve the loss of a beloved family member.

How sad and tragic that such a young life, with so much potential, was taken so suddenly and without warning.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Lily Ann, Kara, the Sheyker family, the Delgado family and all who knew and loved this amazing young man.

This is so tragic. We grieve with them for this sudden loss of a truly special life ended too soon for those of us left behind. It was such a blessing to meet Mike and Kara at our orientation last January. The were truly a wonderful couple. Their comments had such an impact on Bob and me. Our prayers go out to everyone who feels this loss.

God Bless this special man's family and friends. From what he said about needing to know, being a father...I pray that his own parents be blessed with the knowledge of the pure heart of their son, and his commitment to touching the lives of others through his testimony.

Just as Mikes burning desire to know

"any which way you can imagine"

Let his parents know.

"because there's always a bond between you and your child"

give his parents peace

"no matter where you are"

in your heart he will always be

Amen

To Kara and family,

Marcelo and I are thinking of you right now. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to get to know both of you at Birthparent group. I can invision Mikes excitement when he spoke of your children and especially your son. You both were so open to sharing. Take care of those kiddos.

Your friends,

Marcelo and Claudia

Claudia and I send our sincere condolences to Kara and all of Mike's family. Claudia and I were fortunate to meet Mike when we went to a birthparent support group meeting in July when Dante was less than a month old. I was so taken by Mike's cheery personality and optimistic outlook on life. I will never forget when we were talking about his son who is autistic. Mike told me that he has learned so much about autism and he couldn't wait to see what his son's talent savant is. Mike truly was a special person. Again, our hearts and prayers go to Kara and their family.

Marcelo

Guest pamelaz

My heart goes out to Kara, she and Mike's families, their children, and everyone who ever knew Mike. I say "everyone who ever knew Mike" because that is the kind of guy he was. If you had the opportunity to meet him you understand what I mean. He was a wonderful man with an energy and attitude about him that made everyone near him smile. He kept the girls at the office laughing and we all feel his absence now, we miss the smile, we miss his caring demeanor. I dont think Mike ever realized how many lives he affected. I hope his children grow to know what a great man their father was. I know I consider myself blessed to have had the opportunity to spend time getting to know him during his stay in San Antonio. My heart goes out to those close to him, his friends, his family, but most of all, it goes out to those who never had the chance to meet Mike, because they have suffered the greatest loss of all, the loss of the opportunity to meet one of the greatest people I have known. Mike, you will be missed more than you know.

• 3 months later...

Dear Friends,

Thank you so much for all your kind words and prayers. Mike was a wonderful person with a contagious laugh. We have been blessed to have been a part of Mike's life; he has touched us in so many ways. Lily Anne is a beautiful and loving child who continues to thrive (and climb!) She will always know the love that Mike and Kara have for her. Please continue to keep Kara, the children, and Mike's family in your prayers. Today is Mike's birthday and he is truely missed by all.

Love,

the Sheyker family

Edited by Sheyker5

Special prayers for Lily for she keeps the spirit of her beloved birthfather alive in her heart.

Edited by HeidiK

I just remember him being the life of the party at our birthparent support group meetings every week... he became the "token good guy" for all the moms who'd been so hurt by the rejection and abandonment of the men in their lives. We often kidded him about being "one of the girls" because he was so comfortable in a room full of women, even though he was very much a guy's guy. We miss him, too, and have posted a special photo of him in the Gallery today, in honor of his birthday yesterday. It was taken at an orientation weekend, after he'd spoken on the panel and then went the extra mile to serve as "group photographer." His smile and energy surely lives on his kids, as well as in our memories. Rest in peace! Happy birthday, big guy!

Guest pamelaz

You know, I was walking through the airport today and out of the corner of my eye I saw a young hispanic man with Mike's build and features wearing a blue striped shirt (just like the one Mike wore so often). It caught me by surprize and it gave me goosebumps. I just looked at the man and smiled. I figure it was Mike up there in heaven saying hi. I sure miss seeign his face around the office.

I agree Pamela, I miss seeing Mike's smiling face around the office as well.

It isn't often we have men around the office, so it was very refreshing to have Mike a regular at support group. He added so much insight and a new prespective on many things. I have to say that one of my favorite memories of Mike was from Camp Abrazo 04. He truly enjoyed that weekend and we have several pictures from that weekend that capture his big smile as evidence of what a good time he had there.

We continue to remember you and feel blessed to have known you.

I have never met Mike but HE sounds like He was and still IS a very special Man...I know that HE is looking over all that has loved and loves him!!

Hello to Mike wherever You may be...I feel his smile!

Ksingh wink.gif

Sounds like Mike was truly an inspirational man who was incredibly gracious and kind!! I am certain his spirit lives among those whose lives he touched --- another guardian angel for us all rolleyes.gif

Sending prayers to all his loved ones wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

Laura