In Memoriam

so sorry to hear of your loss!

Asking God to comfort you and your family in the wake of this great loss... we are so sorry!

• 7 months later...

Abrazo was terribly saddened tonight to learn of the untimely passing of one of our adoptive mothers from 1995, Sharon Flowers, who died in her sleep recently. (Sharon was a Forum member from many years ago: http://abrazo.org/fo...hp?showuser=129) We extend our heartfelt sympathies to her husband Randy, who contacted us this evening, and their eldest son's birthmother, Melissa, with whom they've kept in touch, as well as the son they share, and the children unexpectedly born to Randy & Sharon after their adoption at Abrazo. We know there are losses here on earth for which there are no answers, but we draw strength from the certainty that earthly partings need never be final for them that believe in the Life Everlasting. We are thankful to have known Sharon and we offer prayers for her and her grieving family in this time of loss.

http://www.westridge...-sharon-flowers

• Upvote 1

Thinking of the Flower family & their time of loss.

Sending prayers to this family for their loss of their mother and wife. So sad for their family.

Wow, this hits close to home as I am approaching my 46th birthday. I am praying for her family as well.

• 1 month later...

Abrazo was heartbroken today to learn of the death-- almost three years ago-- of one of our Abrazobabes placed in 1998, who died of pediatric leukemia:

http://www.aryaskids.org/about.html

http://www.northjers...er_gave_up.html

Sadly, the adoptive parents had not kept in touch with the birthfather nor the agency, so Arya's first father was devastated to find the obituary online (read it here), and Abrazo has precious few answers to give him as to why the agency did not know this before he did?

But we thank God for Arya's brief life and for the birthparents and adoptive parents whose respective sacrifices made it a presumably happy one. We lift Arya's two families in our thoughts and prayers and we honor Arya's memory today, even as we grieve this tragic news.

This is very sad news - Arya sounds like a wonderful boy who lived a joyful life. How heartbreaking for his birthfather to find out as he did, and after so many years of no contact with his son or his son's family. Keeping these families in my thoughts and prayers.

• Upvote 1

A special word of thanks to Abrazo's Angel Account donors, whose gracious generosity is helping Abrazo provide needed professional grief therapy in this time of great loss. Those who wish to do so may also contribute directly to Arya's Kids, the nonprofit organization Arya's adoptive parents established in his memory.

• Upvote 1

This is a sad story of an innocent child suffering too much! His story is heartbreaking and his attitude towards his health was so very mature for his age. His parents saw his dream of helping other children suffering through and they do gain my respect for that. But honestly, really? If they had a way to contact the furst parents snd did not, how did they ever put their head on their pillows at night with knowing they hadn't shared the news with his first parents? If they are an Abrazo client, then they committed to open adoption. Shame on them for giving open adoption a bad rap. I'm so sorry for the father that learned as he did and I'm also sorry for the Chicks that had to take that call. That's a very sad thing for a father to learn and to learn it like that is just plain disrespectful and cold.

• Upvote 1

My 18 year old cousin passed because of this horrible disease. She fought so hard and my Aunt And my Unlce did on her behalf, too.

They lived with us for a couple of months while she was being treated at MD Anderson and she went through it all with Grace.

My heart goes out to all of his parents.

This is a sad story of an innocent child suffering too much! His story is heartbreaking and his attitude towards his health was so very mature for his age. His parents saw his dream of helping other children suffering through and they do gain my respect for that. But honestly, really? If they had a way to contact the furst parents snd did not, how did they ever put their head on their pillows at night with knowing they hadn't shared the news with his first parents? If they are an Abrazo client, then they committed to open adoption. Shame on them for giving open adoption a bad rap. I'm so sorry for the father that learned as he did and I'm also sorry for the Chicks that had to take that call. That's a very sad thing for a father to learn and to learn it like that is just plain disrespectful and cold.

I have to say, Elizabeth’s first post regarding this situation made my heart ache and brought me to tears. Reading your post did the exact same thing.

I do feel for the adoptive family seeing their child go through what he did. My daughter had a good friend who was diagnosed with leukemia their freshman year, watching her parents, family and friends deal with this was extremely difficult. Her sister was a perfect match for her bone marrow transplant. She is now almost 5 years into remission, I don’t know if it was due to the perfect match or not, I do know that the type of leukemia she had was an extremely aggressive one.

This put in perspective and aside. I had very similar thoughts to what you voiced, though your message/thoughts were/are a lot nicer worded and put than what has gone through my mind and that are not good for print. My daughter and I talked about this and I openly shared with her how I felt/feel about the situation and how bad I feel for this babe’s first parents and family. They were cheated out of a precious opportunity due to two people’s, I don’t know what exactly, selfishness, ignorance, lack of compassion, lack of empathy and as you mentioned disrespect, for the person who gave this child life and the family who loved him and entrusted him to them. I am really trying not to be cold hearted here, but I keep thinking that maybe they couldn’t save their marriage due to their own inability to deal with their loss or maybe remorse/guilt. But in the big scheme of things, it seems that they have gotten a taste of what the first parents went through when they entrusted, heavy burden to carry. How many more are out there that have broken their commitment to first parents. Praying that God enlightens their hearts and lights a path to reconnect with first parents, prayers that first families who are missing out on their child’s life by their own choosing find peace in their hearts to journey the way back into these precious children’s lives.

Thank you for your post and openness of your huge tender heart….

• Upvote 2