In Memoriam

Prayers for peace and healing.

Adding my prayers for this precious family.....may you find peace & healing in the weeks & months ahead!

• 4 weeks later...

DNola.jpg

She captured all our hearts at Camp Abrazo, each year that she attended with her longlost-but-finally found birthson, Grandpa Bruce... and we are saddened to learn that our beloved friend, D'Nola, age 90, passed away this morning, even as we celebrate her certain reunion with loved ones in Heaven. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to D'Nola's surviving sister, to Grandpa Bruce and his wife Pat, and to Scott, Karen, Amanda and Lexie. Thank you so very much for sharing D'Nola with us all. We were blessed to know her in the time that we had, and she will never, ever be forgotten!

P.S. If you are not familiar with the story of Grandpa Bruce and his birthmother D'Nola and how they came to find each other when she was just 87, go here.to read it. It's truly a beautiful tribute to the power of love and the importance of openness, in any season of life!

Oh how sad! What a wonderful lady she was. I am so glad I was able to meet her at camp. How amazing that she and Bruce were reunited and enjoyed their time together. She will be missed. What a blessing she was to everyone. Praying for Granpa Bruce and the Scott family.

So sad today to hear of D'Nola's passing. The first time I met her at Camp Abrazo 2009, she told me that even more amazing than her reunion with Bruce, was the fact that she was still alive to see it! She seemed to know how precious time was and that she had been given a precious gift.

She was, of course, referring to her reunion with her son, but I think D'Nola herself was also a gift to all of us. What a sweet, dear lady she was. I will never forget her.

D'Nola...may you find peace and rest. I sure loved meeting you and Bruce at camp each year. (((Karen)))

The news of D'Nola's passing saddens me greatly as she was one of those vibrant people who touch lives where ever they go. I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to meet and talk with her. She had the most wonderful smile and attitude about life. She mentioned a book she had been reading about living and dying. She was a realist and savored every minute of life. I know that many will miss this great lady, and I am one of them. Thank you God for engineering the crossing of paths with this very special woman and her lovely family. I am better for having known her. There is a beautiful new angel in heaven tonight. We will miss you D'Nola.

• Upvote 1

Oh, she was such a special woman and an inspiration to us all! She was definitely a highlight of Camp! I also remember how touched Lisa, Tasia's birthmother, was by her. She inspired Lisa so much :) Can we have a special tribute to her at Camp 2011?

Susan

• Upvote 1

Absolutely, Susan! What a wonderful idea! D'Nola was the depiction of grace and beauty and class and resilience, and nobody could've said it better than Jean: there IS a new angel in Heaven, now! I think it would be most appropriate to have a special time of remembrance in D'Nola's honor at Camp this summer, if her beloved son Bruce feels this would be okay?

(P.S. Those who wish to send notes of condolence to Bruce and his wife Pat, please feel free to mail them to Abrazo for forwarding if you no longer have the Camp roster with their address! It is unlikely that those outside the adoption community can truly understand what a loss this is to a son who only met his mother a few years ago.)

We've launched a special memorial site in D'Nola's honor, HERE. Please feel free to post prayers, kind thoughts, Camp memories and any photos you may have of Bruce's birth mom, from her summers with us.

• 11 months later...

IMG_5747-1.jpg

I've been thinking today of the grandparents of Gavin and Grace, knowing Andrea's mother has been battling cancer, but when I went to Andrea's Facebook page today to post a message, I was saddened to learn that her mother, Barbara, passed away on December 27, 2011.

Roger and Barb Smallwood and the Steadmans have been such beloved members of our Camp Abrazo community each summer! Grandma Barb was ill this year, yet still showed up for Camp, bless her heart. I know we'll be remembering and missing her come July. She was so proud of her family, and it was always beautifully apparent to everyone.

Our hearts go out to Roger and his both his daughters and their families... please pray for all of them as they mourn the loss of this wife and mother and grandmother who was so special to all of us, as well.

Barbara Smallwood, 1941-2011

• 3 months later...

I never dreamed I would follow this memorial about my mom with another memorial about my Mother-in-Law.

Heaven gained another Angel today.

Jim's mom joined her husband (Jim's dad) and my mom in heaven today.

Elizabeth "Lib" Steadman

April 7, 1919 - April 26, 2012

Wow Andrea. I am so sorry for all the loss you and Jim have experienced in your family these last few years. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Andrea-

So sorry for your loss! Love you my friend!