In Memoriam

It gives me chills to hear how touching this family's story is and what tremendous grief and happiness they'd experienced together. My heart goes out to this wife and children left behind after the death of their incredible father. They are certainly in my prayers.

What heart break for those left behind.

• 4 weeks later...

Hourglass-1.jpg

Once upon a time, back in the era when unmarried fathers' rights mattered in Texas adoptions, we had a placement that was momentarily challenged by a birthdaddy who didn't want his child adopted. He didn't ever contest the case in court, but the adoptive family couldn't find it in their hearts to relinquish their subsequent distrust of him, even years later, after he'd written to thank them for being his daughter's parents and explain why he hadn't initially agreed with the adoption plan.

Fast forward, to another place(ment) and time. The same birthcouple had found themselves again needing to make an adoption plan, but opted to match with another family instead. This adopting couple warmly welcomed both birthparents into their lives with open arms, and they have continued loving contacts with both, even after the birthcouple split up. They had even made plans to all meet at Camp Abrazo this July, and the birthfather couldn't wait! He openly expressed his excitement during his last visit to the agency, just last month, when he came by to pick up the latest photos of his second child and to once again inquire about the first family (on whom he'd never given up, even though his interest seemed unwelcomed by them... something he realized, as well.)

Sadly, whatever opportunities for openness they might once have had are now gone forever. The sands in that proverbial hourglass of life unexpectedy ran out too soon, and Adrian Aguirre will not be joining us for Camp Abrazo this year as planned. Just 31 years old, Adrian suffered a fatal aneurysm this week, leaving behind the three children he did parent, his own parents, the two birthdaughters who were placed for adoption, the grieving birthmother of those children, and the adoptive families of both.

Our thoughts and our prayers go out to all of them, and especially Adrian's two little girls, who will never get to meet their birthfather in this lifetime. It was an honor and a privilege to call Adrian our friend, and he will be greatly missed by us all.

I am so sorry to read this. Praying for all who loved Adrian, the adoptive family who was looking forward to meeting him this summer, and those who never got a chance, especially those 2 girls.

How sad indeed...I am so at a loss for words

So heartbreaking, prayers lifted for all those who loved Adrian and whose lives he touched. May his two daughters know how much he loved them.

Tracey

This just breaks my heart. Adrian's story is one of those that has proven to me, once again, what openness is all about. I will never forget the surprise of when he first reached out to the agency finally coming to a place of acceptance with his daughters' adoptions. His letters haunted me and brought tears, the love for his daughters was palpable.

I am so saddened that he didn't make it camp to meet the family who took a leap of faith and gave him the benefit of the doubt he deserved. I am thankful though, that he reached out to Abrazo when he did and that the staff moved heaven and earth to help him know his daughters and their families. At least he passed with the knowledge and comfort that they were safe and loved by so many. As was he.

Godspeed Adrian.

I'm so thankful that Adrian knew that someone was willing to give him a chance. May he rest in peace and his daughters know of his love for them.

I love this thought and I hope our friends see this and find comfort in this message that he knew they care.

I was so sad to learn just today of the death of Jenna's birthfather Adrian. Although we chose to have limited correspondence with him through Abrazo, it was always our desire for Jenna to meet him one day when she was a little older. My heart hurts for my little girl, who will no longer have that opportunity. Our hearts also go out to Adrian's family, including Jenna's birthsisters. I am especially thankful for Susan, who let me know of this tragic news, since I am rarely on the forum anymore due to time constraints.

Thank you to all of you who have expressed condolences. This will be hard news for little Jenna, who has always known of her birthfather and his love for her, despite the life choices he made that kept us from being able to have a more open relationship during the past few years. We are all grieving this loss today.

Linda