In Memoriam

This just breaks my heart. I'm so sorry to hear of this news. Sending up many prayers of comfort and peace for this family.

I was extremely shocked and saddened to hear of this great loss. I am adding my prayers for Bridget, Lucas, and the entire Arredondo family during this most difficult time.

There are no words to express the sorrow of such a loss as this. Bridget and Lucas, I pray that God will strengthen and comfort you in your sadness and give you peace.

I am at a loss for words. May God carry all who love Efrain as they work to come to terms wtih their life altering loss. I am so saddened and sorry to learn of this horrible turn of events.

My heart is breaking for this wonderful family. Bridget, Lucas, and all those who loved and knew Efrain, my prayers are with you during this most difficult time.

Dear Bridget and Lucas -- We are so saddened by your loss. Please know that we are keeping all of you in our prayers.

Love, Susan and Bill

Oh my. Bridget, Lucas, I am so sorry. My heart just breaks for you and all of those grieving this impossible loss. I pray that the strength and love of all of those surrounding you in prayer will lift you up and carry you. Our deepest condolences.....

Here's the news article that appeared in the Austin American Statesman, about the accident that led to Efrain's untimely passing: Austin Accidents Claim Lives of Three Over Weekend.

For those who have inquired about sending memorials, we are awaiting word from the family and will forward information as we get it. Thanks for keepng Bridget and little Lucas in your thoughts and prayers, as these are surely difficult days for all.

Thinking of you today Bridget.

Heather

• 3 months later...

Kaddishlights.jpg

Abrazo was saddened to learn this evening that one of our favorite social workers, Penny Glatstein of Jewish Family Services in Memphis passed away this week. (Read the obituary, here.)

Penny completed the homestudies and post-placement supervision for dozens of Abrazo's families, and whenever she sent adoptive parents our way, we knew they were extra-special folks, by virtue of her faith in them.

Penny was one of those remarkable adoption professionals who never lost her ability to laugh, and whose wisdom and friendship we sincerely valued. She was a joy to know and a force to be reckoned with, and we are so thankful for all the years we were blessed to work with her.

We wish her mother, her husband and their family peace and comfort in this time of deep sorrow. Hamakom yenachem etchem b'toch she'ar aveilei tzion v'yerushalayim!

I am very saddened to hear the news of Penny's passing. I had the pleasure of working with Penny many times over my time here and very much enjoyed meeting with her on our trips to Memphis. She was a blessing to the adoption community and she will be missed. Praying for all those that loved her.

Praying for Penny's family! She was a good family friend! We are so sad she has left us!

Penny was very special and it is hard for me to believe she is really gone. I haven't been able to look at pennies the same since her passing. I just finished reading the book last week: The Penny by #1 New York Times Bestselling Author Joyce Meyer and Deborah Bedford and it already had me thinking about pennies. A great emotional story that is still with me in my mind and heart in that this book showed me how God works in the smallest details, even in something as small as a penny. The smallest details can change everything! But Penny wasn't small in anything, like Elizabeth said she was a force to be reckoned with. Penny meant so much to me personally. She encouraged me and believed in me and we talked about "our bundle of joy to come" many times. She was a fun mother and inspired me to want to be like her with my child when she shared stories on child rearing. Ric and I visited her in the hospital and even with her so sick she still was smiling and concerned about us and our journey. Kinda ironic but we had a birthmom call scheduled that same evening and we told her and she was so excited for us. I have to admit, for me losing Penny feels like another bump in the road and in my heart but I'm proud to say Penny Glatstein was a great friend and a social worker with a passion for finding the right baby for the right family. She loved her calling and work. Penny, I will miss you!

Teresa

gallery_417_36_4305071-1-1.jpg

We received the kind of message today that always catches us offguard and reminds us of the fragility of life and these precious family relationships we share here in Abrazo's community:

We received the call last night that no one ever wants to get. Our family suffered a horrible loss last night as Rick was killed in a car accident while at work. We are thankful for the love, faith and time that Ethan, Kelly and myself were able to share with him and will be forever blessed to have had him in our lives.

His spirit will live on in our spirited Ethan, but his passing is devastating.

We ask that you keep his family in your prayers.

With best regards and thanks-

The Sebastian's

Some of you may remember Rick Farnsworth from Camp Abrazo 2006; the photo above was taken of Ethan's birthparents during the candlelight ceremony. We grieve the untimely passing of Ethan's birthdad, who had irascible charm and so much potential! and we lift all who loved him in our prayers, in the wake of this great loss.

My heart breaks for this family and the little boy they shared. I'm so sad for them. May the God of comfort and peace be near to them in their devastating grief.

It's so sad, and I will say big prayers for the family. What a horrible loss...